Giuliani's Stance on Gun Rights

This is a discussion on Giuliani's Stance on Gun Rights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like Giuliani but am curious about his track record or, more specifically, any statements he may have made regarding what additional restrictions (if any) ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Giuliani's Stance on Gun Rights

I like Giuliani but am curious about his track record or, more specifically, any statements he may have made regarding what additional restrictions (if any) he would support as President in the way of gun control. Anyone have any info. other than speculation?

I don't want Texas to go the way of NY...

By the way, I know...Fred Thompson would be the ideal pick with regard to gun rights, but I just don't see it happening (assuming he even enters the race).

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    I like Giuliani but am curious about his track record or, more specifically, any statements he may have made regarding what additional restrictions (if any) he would support as President in the way of gun control. Anyone have any info. other than speculation?

I don't want Texas to go the way of NY...

By the way, I know...Fred Thompson would be the ideal pick with regard to gun rights, but I just don't see it happening (assuming he even enters the race).

I personally think Giuliani does not stand a chance in the upcoming election, he's pro-choice and also he supports domestic partnerships that provide stability for committed partners in important legal and personal matters. Im voting for Sam Brownback, he's pro life, he's pro marriage and heres what he thinks on gun laws " Restrictive gun control laws aimed at weakening this constitutional right are not the answer. Instead, it is important for the government to enforce criminal gun laws already on the books, for communities to stand against gun violence, and for parents to teach children about gun safety."Giuliani is a very very bad choice for concervatives and if he is the front runner and brownback or any other pro life,pro marriage canidate is not able to run in 2008, I wont vote and niether will my family and a lot of other people.

while i can't say specifically where he stands now, i can speak as a former new yorker who lived there during his tenure as mayor. it's pretty simple: he will take your guns from you. he is a quiet anti-gunner, because he knows it's unpopular. yes, he did make new york safer, by hiring more cops, by cutting funding to special education by almost 70%. he also made the penalties for gun crime harsher, and made it more difficult to obtain one legally within city limits. he definitely was very popular among the LEO community, but very unpopular with many other groups. incidents of reported police misconduct (excessive force, corruption) rose dramatically during his administration. he also has a tendency to flip flop on his political stance, on things like abortion, prayer in school, gun control, homeland security and immigration. he's been quoted as saying, "sometimes i don't agree with myself."

IMO, the only reason he is so popular so long after his term as mayor ended is because of 9/11. he really is nothing special, really. if he switched places with ray nagin, everyone would be saying how incompetent he was.

Here is Giuliani's stance on guns...complete with hilighed biased (on my part) quotes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emeu2KRt2Vg
    "a person who wants to possess a handgun should pass a written test should be able to to pass a physical test in the use of the gun, and should have to demonstrate good moral character and a reason to have the gun"..."I've been arguing for that since at least 1980

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZDjGnGCygs
    federal licensing and regulation, more taxes ammunition, "national task forces", "constitutional restrictions" "anything that gets handguns and automatic weapons out of our streets, out of our cities, out of our states, I'm in favor of" "the more we can reduce the large numer of handguns in our societey the faster we are going to start moving this in the right direction"

and his stance now?????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9kOJwfG-WM

Administrator
    His stance is obviously quite simple as proved by his past inactions.

"I believe that EVERYBODY in the United States has the RKBA except the entire population of N.Y.C."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I haven't been impressed with anything he's said with regard to gun rights. Anything good he says now is tainted by his history, and I have a hard time believing that he "agrees with the right to bear arms".

VIP Member
    From what I've read he seems a little sneaky on the gun issue. I think he wants to sound pro gun, but when ya get down to it, he's not. I'm not going to vote for someone on just one issue, but being pro-gun is one of the issues the candidate is going to have to pass to get my vote.

Listen to him very many times and he is very anti gun. He tries to cover and tone it down but time and time again it shows through.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

I live in NY but no tin NYC. While mayor he was decidedly anti gun.

He has spoken on Hannity about the 2A saying that he supports constructionist justices and the 2A BUT that places like NYC need to make decisions based on their needs with regards to guns... FYI, whenever you hear the word BUT then throw out EVERYTHING that was said before it.

Sorry but I oppose him. I think he is a good law and order type of guy and cracked down on crime across the board. That said his veiw of my COTUS rights is not in line with my view and I would not support him.

As a libertarian I could care less about opposition to gay marriage. People should be able to do as they please as long as they don't harm me so on that front I agree with Rudy. That is not enough to warrant my writing off my 2A rights.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Yikes. He's a liberal in Republican's clothing! Does he have ANY conservative views?
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

As gun owners we have a quandry coming up. Giuliani is probably our best hope to beat the Democrats. Now we know what a Schumer controlled congress with gun hating Clinton in the oval office would mean. However Giuliani is first and formost a politician and will bend to the wishes of those with the most influence. That is, the NRA and gun owners who can add their votes to a split public and name their own price. Poll show Giulani as our last great hope. He is the lesser of evils. It is not an ideal selection but a pragmatic solution. Rudy will appoint a strict constitutional supporting supreme court judge and that is what really is important. Congress has already proved the futility of going against gun owners.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    Yikes. He's a liberal in Republican's clothing! Does he have ANY conservative views?
    I suppose he was somewhat fiscally conservative. Which is more than you can say about half of the Republican candidates at this point. He's no Ron Paul on that one though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    Yes,

Commit a crime and you go to jail.
    Workfare not Welfare
    He is big on using business and private investment to improve quality of life in depressed areas as opposed to throwing government money at it.

On most other issues he is liberal, having even run ont he Liberal ticket more than once. That he wan in NYC as a Republican is more a statement of how inept the Democratic party had become in NYC than that Rudy is a strong Republican. In 95% of the rest of the nation he would be a conservative Democrat.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    He's not getting my vote. How can you vote a Mayor into the Oval Office anyway?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    Here is the transcript of a speech he made after an office shooting in the Empire State Building 10 years ago...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/rwg/html/97a/ccc.html

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links