Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target?? - Page 2

Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target??

This is a discussion on Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know what you mean about pushing someone around in a wheelchair. My wife is walking for now but I pushed her around in hers ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target??

I know what you mean about pushing someone around in a wheelchair. My wife is walking for now but I pushed her around in hers for several years due to MS. We had a few dicey moments when getting scoped out by some potential problems,

People in wheelchairs can make easy targets and crooks know it. I think what they didn't like was what I called the "Look". I made real sure they knew that I saw them and gave them that look that us ol' NCO's reserved for wayward E-1s (or maybe O-1s when they weren't looking). Sort of the "Are you gonna make me get mean" look I guess. At any rate it seems to have worked as they left us alone.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Do I look like an easy target? Simple answer? Yes!

I know situational awareness is the key to deterring an attack but let's be honest, even some situationally aware individuals get targeted.

I'm tiny. 5'3".. 105 lbs (after a large meal), blond. I have mild light sensitivity and don't have prescription sunglasses (yet, I am getting them) and don't like to trade my glasses for sunglasses and lessen my eyesight either and so on bright days or when around bright lights I squint a lot and keep my head down to keep my eyes and head from hurting. Because of my light sensitivity I have managed to find other means of staying alert without turning my face toward light, such as reading shadows and sounds very well and can still be aware through other venues like peripheral vision.

Even still from an outsider it would look like I'm either thinking about something intensely, sad, or just not paying attention.

My husband tells me I waddle like a duck when I walk and says it's adorable so no matter how "confident" I try to look when walking I end up looking more comical.

Sometimes, on a comfy, I-don't-care-what-I-look-like day, I'll be dressed in the dumbest looking getups. Usually, however, I dress to make myself look like a woman. I wear clothes that are flattering, modest, and comfortable, but attractive.

I read a lot and at times it may seem I'm not paying attention because I'm sitting around reading a book instead of sitting stick straight in my chair watching everyone around me.

I do, however, take careful note of people who come within proximity to me. I count the number of patrons in the room with me, I note general height, weight, hair length and color and clothes. I take a quick look at where their hands are and what they are doing and make a quick scan for bulges and odd behavior. I utilize tools like reflections and careful seating to ensure no one is watching me when they think I'm not paying attention.

I smile at everyone and am very welcoming, energetic and happy. I can look like I'm distracted, but I'm always very in-tune with my environment.

Looks can be deceiving. I probably look like a good target, and while I am trying to do things a little differently to change there there is only so much one can do.

I'm getting my prescription sunglasses to help with the sensitivity to light so that I can actually look up and around when in bright lights. I don't read when I walk anymore. Instead of just watching people from the corner of my eye or through shadows or reflections I look them in the eye and let them know that I've seen them.

When I carry things I try to ensure that my right hand can be freed easily to ensure a quick draw if necessary.

I'm sure there's more I could do but I'll start there.

Lead Moderator
    Nope, being young, fit and alert to surroundings tends to discourage BG's.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    After many years of living in a violent Third world country, my body language and facial experssion is always one of "I am able to hurt you bad."
    When I started working in the hospitality business, I had a tough time developing a "nice" face for the guests. In fact after the first week my face was hurting because I had to force myself to smile. But sometimes I accidentally slip into my street face at work. About a couple of weeks ago it was almost time to leave and I was walking doing one last round of the common areas (Lobby, bars, etc.) when one of the Bells approached me (carefully) and asked me if I was allright. I was suprised and told him I was fine and about to go home and could not be happier about it and he retorted that I was looking like I needed to kill somebody and even the poeple at the Front Desk noticed that and were worried about me. In a sense it was touching to see that the dump I work at has people that cared but it was fun to see that I can still scare the bejesus out of people by just looking at them cross.

Still, I don't rely on looking mean. Awareness is everything!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    to answer the question....No, 6'4" 225, athletic, I don't smile a lot and I too look all around me-constant situational awareness, make brief eye contact with everyone and stare when needed
    ...rats, I just smiled
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

It's all about situational awareness...

I have to send that "I know that you're there and am not a pushover" vibe 'cause I'm REALLY short (under 5'4). I know that if I don't carry myself with cool confidence and awareness, I'd definitely have a bulls-eye on my back.

Even small dawgs can have razor sharp teeth!!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

No.

Nope.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    To answer your question I do not know.

I am 5-6" top in at just under 200lbs (Good shape though)

Often people tell me I appear lost in thought, but I keep awareness as high as I can.

My appearance depends on when I am working, If I am on a break I often wear my hunting clothing with a tank top. If I am working I wear nicer clothing often standoutish like a really really bright dragon shirt or something similar.

Often have at least a 3-27 day beard going on, and my hair is often disheveled.

However despite any potential problem with my looking like a possible target, most times a potential threat will be noticed by me and as they enter my "personal bubble" I snap my head up and glare directly at them. Can not count the number of times I have seen people stop dead in their tracks with that quick action glare and go off to bother others, and the rest have been halted by my casual placing my hand in my front pocket and accidently exposing my hunting knife. (it is kept about 11:00. and has around a 5 inch blade)

Also it is very important to dress for the occasion, anytime I need to go downtown for example I dress in my best "redneck attire", OC my hunting knife and speak in the language of my childhood. Often the beggars/dealers and other BGs will clear a path for me. You know how dangerous us southern hayseeds can be.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

It has to do with how you carry yourself and how alert you stay. The scum can see that and will not go after someone who they think will be alert to their actions before they strike.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I know that I should be a bit more aware of my surroundings than i am at times. One thing that hurts is that I am very hard of hearing and that makes it difficult to hear people moving around me. Over the years, possibly as a compensation for the hearing loss, I have developed very good eyesight. I see almost everything, especially movement. In fact, in school, when I was studying in the common areas, I had to shield my eyes when reading so I wouldn't get distracted by all the movement. It is very hard for someone to sneak up on my.

It is usually the other way around. I am 6-3 and over 250lbs. but for some reason I still tend to surprise people as I am very quiet on my feet. They just don't notice me walking up behind them very often.

I do have a funny story that relates to this. One time my cousin asked me if I would go with her to the high school basketball game. Her daughter was doing a new cheer or something and she was going to video tape it. I have never been there before so I was looking around, paying attention to what was going on, etc. The usual when going to a new place. Occasionally I would get tired of sitting on the bleachers so I would stand up and move around a bit, looking around as always. It was also winter and very, very cold outside so I had my long coat on. During a break in the game once, my cousin's daughter and some of her friends came up to chat with her mom. I just stood there and watched them as I was not involved in the conversation. After the game we just left. I didn't think anything unusual happened. The next time I saw my cousin I was told that some of her daughter's friends asked "Why did your mom bring a body guard to the game." I guess I over did the watching a bit and what I thought was a neutral expression was mistaken for a glare or something. And I'm sure my long coat didn't help either. LOL We still makes jokes about that incident.

Hoozerdaddy... I think everyone has this post pretty well covered for you... With the possible exception of Limatunes and her "duck waddle".... Ok... I'm just picking on Lima cause she asked for it. She is actually one of the best people to get advice from and probably looks less of a target than she thinks.

Situational Awareness is the key. Predators can pick up on it like a lion can find the one antelope in a herd with the slight cough.

Matt Stokes states things pretty well...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stokes View Post
    I agree with denverd0n; it all has to do with situational awareness. People that stroll along looking distracted (on their cell phones etc.) are easy marks. Swinging wide of ambush spots keeping the poop in a group is repellant to BG's.
    I also let all those around me know that they are on my radar with a brief glance. I don't stare as this can signify a challenge. It is amazing how many will nod at eye contact.
    ... and 0.02 rightfully points out that your "situational awareness" threat scans shouldn't look like a "wide-eyed, darting glances of the 'schoolyard bullied.'"

Miggy also had great discriptions as well as everyone else.

Bottom line, whether you think you look like a victim or not... If you are aware of your surroundings... and cognizant of what's out of place or does not look right, you can take steps to steer clear of, most danger situation.

If you still are worried..... practice your "steely eyed" predator look in the mirror. Just kidding.

Stay safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Evidently, I do appear to be an easy target. Not necessarily for to a BG, but I get approached by every homeless person I come accross for some reason. Maybe its because I make eye contact, which would be a turnoff for most BGs. Beggars seem to home in on me, if we are in a group of people, they approach me, every damned time.

At 30ish 5'11" 230lbs, I'm not a small guy, not huge either, I carry myself well, pay attention to my surroundings and make eye-contact with just about everyone, you can tell a lot about a person that way.

While I'm old with little stamina, I stay aware of my surroundings and walk with what I would describe as a "military bearing"...erect, alert and purposeful. I don't look like a pushover, and on several occasions when approached with an "interview" (..what time is it...can you spare a few bucks...etc.) I simply don't answer but keep moving. That's not normally me, but is how I handle myself in public....when at a family event or home I am much more laid back.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I don't consider myself as an easy target though I'm only 5'7, I weigh 200 lbs with nothing on. My previous training when I was a Military Policeman has a lot to do with it and just like what the others have mentioned, situational awareness is key. I always try to be aware of my surroundings and I know it has gotten me out of trouble more than once.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links