Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target?? - Page 3

Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target??

This is a discussion on Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't believe I'm an easy target. My ugly mug has deterred more than one attempt on crime that I can tell. Awareness and the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target??

I don't believe I'm an easy target. My ugly mug has deterred more than one attempt on crime that I can tell.
    Awareness and the "refuse to be a victim" attitude works.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Senior Moderator
    Yeah...
    its all good with the situation awareness thing.

The trouble is...some folks dont care.

Some of them are so high on crack,meth,alcohol that any semblance of common sense they had left them long ago. Some of them are so far gone that it dont matter what you look like or project, the fact that they have you in eye contact makes you a target whether you look wormy or like an NFL lineman...these people can be desperate enough to try their luck anyway.

While I'll be the first to admit that appearances can go a long way, I also know that you'd better be able to back up that image and have more than a bluff....just in case you need it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    After many years of living in a violent Third world country, my body language and facial experssion is always one of "I am able to hurt you bad."
    Yeah, I lived in Miami once.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Ron
    I know that their are statistics that suggest that older people are not victims of acts of violence in any greater proportion than younger people. But, I believe that those statistics ignore the fact that older people are not as apt to visit more dangerous places, such as bars, etc. So, I still believe that it is is logical that a small, older person will be perceived as an easiier victim then a large, younger person.

My point, for us more senior types, is that it is even more important for us to be constantly aware of our surroundings. No matter where we are, we can be the victim of a random act of violence if we don't stay alert. And, don't ever be out and about without being armed. Stay alert, stay armed, stay safe.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    Awareness and the "refuse to be a victim" attitude works.
    I think this goes a long way. Haven't been attacked for some years, since adopting the "twins" (these two tactics). Have noticed several abortive attempts, though. I'm assuming some other, unware, poor sod took it in the shorts after I left. Sux to be him (aka, head in sand).

Amazing what a good, low-intensity "radar" can achieve when watching your six, noting those around you, noting those with "intent" in their actions, monitoring from a position of strength, even a (nearly) ensconced position (as opposed to hanging out in the clear, alone and without cover nearby). Can't run like I used do, due to damage in the hips/nerves, so good "radar" is my most important tool. Should be required for the tool kit, if going out and about.

There's definitely something about a cornered cat that BG's don't like to contemplate. I don't blame them. Ever been in a room when a cat goes insane for 30secs? It's not pretty. You know your cat has great traction when chips of gypsum board go flying through the air like confetti. Ffft, ffft!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

drugs,

I agree with HotGuns.People on drugs do not care.They will attack anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    People on drugs do not care.They will attack anyone.
    Yes, but it's about reducing the percentage to an acceptable level. I figure that I've got about a 1% chance when stepping outside of having someone approach in an undesirable manner; less, of being attacked. The precautions we're speaking of are only designed to address that 1% of the time anyway.

Sitting in the shadows with one's eyes closed is an invitation to attack. Standing in a protected position removes much risk. Turning on the radar removes much more. Actively scanning and guarding against threats as they come/go removes that much more. About the only thing left is those who don't care. For that, there's CZ ... Kershaw ... S&W ... Spyderco ... Colt ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have to agree on the situational awareness, head up, shoulders not slumped over. Of course being 6'1" and 330 pounds is okay too. But here in Wyoming we don't have quite the number of BG's, or the cities too support them.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Hmmm. Well, I'm 6 feet tall and 210 (and I'm not chubby), and I have my head shaved clean and have a gotee... I think most people find my appearance intimidating. I'm a nice guy, but I don't take crap from people.

That said, I think anyone can become a victim if they put themselves into the wrong situation. That's why I don't go places I know to be less than safe, and I don't go places I'm not allowed to carry. I'm not a scaredy-cat or a paranoid gun nut... I'm a guy who believes that God helps those that help themselves.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

"Confidence is key."

This is KEY. I see people that scream victim to me. Many of them are, repeated abusive relationships, etc... Others scream perpetrator to me. I've worked with several ex cons who spent some considerable time incarcerated. We had to work a lot on posture, expression, and generally how they carried them selves as it would not work for them on the outs like it did in the pen.

Study people that appear confident, capable, and that give you the impression that they can take care of themselves. Real people, movie characters, etc... You are looking for the non verbal cues. They won't appear scarry, just confident and capable. Then start modeling what you see. Spend some time in front of the mirror if need be. Others will notice some changes if you make them, but probably won't be able to put their thumb on what, except that you seem more confident.

Likewise, study can lead to recognition of higher levels of threat. Most experienced LEOs are just excellant at this. I'm not in law enforcement, but have worked with criminals long enough to pick out antisocial tendencies out of a crowd and the true sociopath stands out like a neon sign.

I am very aware of my surroundings. I make eye contact with almost everyone i meet. I hardly ever smile or change my expression. I avoid locations where I would be most vulnerable.

If that doesn't work, I'm 6'4", 235 pounds (8% fat) and i either have a shaved head or a very short buzz cut.

I don't think I look like an easy target. 6'1, 215, with a face that looks like it has been rebuilt, because it has.

This thread reminds me of a breif discussion I had with a fellow in a bar one night in my younger wilder days.

I had some friends who loved to get into fights and were usually successful at doing so. I occasionaly got dragged into it, but rarely.

I told all of my buddies that if someone started it, or if more than one jumped in I'd help, but if they started the trouble and it was a fair fight, they were on their own and if they got their a$$ handed to 'em it's their own fault for starting trouble. So, I usually stayed out of their problems and had very few of my own compared to my counterparts.

The ones I had I dealt with promptly, and being from a small town that was usually sufficient to send the message to people who might have wanted to try me, so most didn't.

One night at a bar, while one of my buddies was being hauled out by the bouncers for brawling, a freind of the guy my buddy was fighting with, who was known around town as a tough sort of fellow, approached me in a cocky manner and asked me, "why don't you get in many fights." I looked him in the eye and said "Do you want to jump on me?" He kinda backed up a bit and said "No." I just smiled at him and said "Well, I guess nobody else does either."

Then we had a beer.
    Last edited by sgtD; May 15th, 2007 at 10:54 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

250 LB of BAD NEWS for scumoids!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I'm not exactly the picture of tough guy at a balding 5'10', 225 pounds (a little pudgy) and over 50. My wife says I have a "cop" look, though. I always try to be aware of my surroundings.
    I've only been approached once and that was in the parking lot of a motel by a man who said his mom was stranded on the highway and he needed money for gas. I firmly said no (I didn't believe his story) and he shrugged and walked away without another word.
    I've been a correctional officer for 18 years and that experience comes in handy to read people.

I would say if you carry yourself with confidence the better off you are. And that has nothing to do with acting "Cocky."

Not in all instances "Size Matters".
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links