Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target??

This is a discussion on Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am 5' 10" 215lbs I have some flab in the middle but I carry myself asthough I will handle anything that comes my way. ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do U Look Like An Easy Mark/Target??

me
    I am 5' 10" 215lbs I have some flab in the middle but I carry myself asthough I will handle anything that comes my way. I believe I can. I have spent over 6 years as a Fire fighter and EMT and am very situationally aware. My head is on swivel and I just look like I am not going to take anything (I normally dont take much). Most of my friend know me for the teddy bear that I am under the surface but they also know I will react to ANY emergency to keep them safe. Most folks here at my small college will not even try to mess with me because I carry my self as a tough guy.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

5'10 225 buzz cut with a goatee. I pay attention to what is going on around me as much as possible. Alot of that has to do with growing up on the edge of a ghetto so I learned early to pay attention to what was going on around me, like looking into the stop and rob before walking in to make sure I wasn't walking into a robbery, stay away from dark corners of buildings, take a wide path to your car, don't walk straight to it, etc.
    It's funny...even to this day when the wife and I are out and about, she says I'll "get the look" when I stop at a store to run in for something. I asked her what she meant, she said I straighten up my back, and have a look on my face like I'm mad at the world, don't mess with me.

ps...what does "keeping the poop in a group" refer to?
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I am 42 years old 6'04" and 300 pounds. What hair I have left is never more than one inch long. Everyone tells me my look screams "cop". The last time a guy tried to pick a fight with me was about fifteen years ago. His friend immediately apologized for him, said he was drunk and very nicely asked me not to hurt them.
    I guess that would be a "No"

VIP Member
    Limatunes makes me look big and fat because I'm a half inch taller and five pounds heavier.

If somebody looks directly at me, I look and them and smile and nod. Otherwise my fast, determined pace and alert look says "leave me alone." If you approach too close when you have plenty of room not to, you'll get looked at rather hard. I've been told by several people that I have a default mean look.

I'm not of intimidating size, but I don't make myself look like food. I don't wander around slowly engrossed in my cell phone, or shy when stared out.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I'm getting older and stiffer, arthritis is working on me. I'm a people watcher and do tend to stroll along taking in the scenery. When I notice someone that sets off the "tinkle" I usually just smile with the "please do" look. I've not had any problems as most are looking for easy prey.

Well i'll chime in too. I'm 6'1" and 234 as of this morning. I've got a goatee and whitewalls. I'm not ripped but i work out. I walk eyes up. Not fast not slow. And i dress like a business man. I have a fighters nose and people tell me when i'm just walking I don't smile much. I hardly ever wear sunglasses.Only when in a relaxed area. My eyes aren't soft but i don't mean any harm. People tell me I look like a cop. I got that honest even though I am not LE. I carry a wallet with no cash in it...just cards.Cash is in my left front pocket. I'm right handed. My return cash and change is in my right front pocket. I wear one ring usually on my right hand. My eyes move allot. I've never been a bully but i've been fighting for over 15 years. I'll end this by saying I'm a loving guy to friends, family and even some strangers. But no one will ever mistake me for a mark. The truth is if the BG tapped me on the left knee i'd fold up like a lawn chair ...LOL
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    My point, for us more senior types, is that it is even more important for us to be constantly aware of our surroundings. No matter where we are, we can be the victim of a random act of violence if we don't stay alert. And, don't ever be out and about without being armed. Stay alert, stay armed, stay safe.

Ron
    And have the look and determination that you will use what's available to take care of yourself.

I honestly don't know if I look like easy pery or not.I'm always friendly, I do walk w/ a limp,but I am always alert to my surroundings.I'm short and fat,although I have been accused of looking like a cop(short hair,white guy,always looking around.)I haven't been "messed with" in a while,so maybe not.Sometimes my wife says I have a "mean" look.And one time,when we were out,she was approached by a guy and I saw it.She pointed over to me said something to the guy(she wouldn't say what she said)and he looked over,put his hands up in front of him and backed away.Of course I was eating and that probably scared him...(like the dicovery chanel)
    My wife always wonders how I get away with saying some of the things I say to people,and always say"it's all in the delivery"but maybe it's just that people think I can handle myself.It's been so long since I got into a fight,I don't know how I would fare..I do know I woudn't give up,or go down w/ out a fight.Maybe that come through somehow......I am a low center of gravity,line-man type.Hard to knock over..like a "wheeble"
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker View Post
    And have the look and determination that you will use what's available to take care of yourself.
    Yep, that, too.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

my wife tells me that her friends are reluctant to approach me because i look mean.
    im not,but if it works ***.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I happen to be 6 ft and about 210 lbs , i also wear a nasty scar on my face that looks like it got there from a fight and a broken beer bottle ( no i wont discuss the scar lol ) . gangbangers ect .. tend to back off when i walk up . as a police officcer my nickname among the regs was scarface . It has worked for me since i really dont like to use force .. i am fairly good at it but i dont like it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Unfortunately you aren't going to grow. Situational awareness is essential. Then add "Command prescence". My 5'5'' DI at Parris Island had it and we learned it. Head up, shoulders back, stomach in. Walk and talk like you mean business. Assertive. In control. Hands on hips when assessing situations etc etc. Command voice.... STOP!!! with hand gesture.
    Finally, with an unloaded weapon, work on you time from concealed carry to dry fire of your first point and shoot round.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I'm a big guy, short hair/buzzcut with a goatee, dark sunglasses. Although I don't scream "Don't mess with this guy!" I don't look like a push-over either. When approached by folks that I don't know, my dispostion is not the most warm and receptive. The local bum/crackhead that tried to approach me in the parking lot of a grocery store a few weeks ago found that out real quick. He was stuttering in fear when he beat a hasty retreat.....and no I didn't pull a pistol on him!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

not muscular by any stretch of the imagination. But still...no
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."--Sigmund Freud

I don't think I come off as an easy mark. I'm about 6'3", 225 lbs, and up until this summer I wore a mohawk and pounds of leather. Now I blend into the crowd a little easier, but I still think I wouldn't be the first target picked.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links