State Rep Becomes Pro-Gun After Attack

This is a discussion on State Rep Becomes Pro-Gun After Attack within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was reported on the Ohioans For Concealed Carry website: Ohio Rep Becomes Pro-Gun After Attack The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that State Representative ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Rep Becomes Pro-Gun After Attack

This was reported on the Ohioans For Concealed Carry website:

Ohio Rep Becomes Pro-Gun After Attack

The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that State Representative Michael DeBose (D-Cleveland) is seeking an Ohio Concealed Handgun License after twice voting against the concealed carry laws that were passed in 2004.

Unfortunately, like many people, it took the survival of a violent attack for Rep. DeBose to understand the importance of the innate right guaranteed by the Ohio Constitution: "The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security."

The loud muffler on a car that slowly passed as he was finishing the walk caught his attention, though. When the car stopped directly in front of his house - three houses from where he stood - he knew there was going to be a problem.

"There was a tall one and a short one," DeBose said, sipping on a McDonald's milkshake and recounting the experience Friday.

"The tall one reached in his pocket and pulled out a silver gun. And they both started running towards me."

"At first I just backed up, but then I turned around and started running and screaming."
    It is a terrible fact of life that we live in a society that includes dangerous people willing to rob and murder law-abiding citizens. Thankfully, this criminal chose not to fire and take Representative DeBose's life as he was running away.

Hopefully, more and more people throughout our state and in our Statehouse will realize the importance of self-defense and follow in the footsteps of Representative DeBose in supporting Ohio's very successful concealed carry laws so that others may have the chance to not have their life ended by the whims of a crazed, armed robber.

Representative DeBose now realizes that:

"I was wrong," he said Friday.

"I'm going to get a permit and so is my wife.

"I've changed my mind. You need a way to protect yourself and your family.

"I don't want to hurt anyone. But I never again want to be in the position where I'm approached by someone with a gun and I don't have one."

DeBose said he knows that a gun doesn't solve Cleveland's violence problem; it's merely a street equalizer.

"There are too many people who are just evil and mean-spirited. They will hurt you for no reason. If more people were packing guns, it might serve as a deterrent.

Sweet!
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Beautiful when someone sees the light. It's a shame so many have to be held at gunpoint before they understand.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

One of our Board of Director members from the Cleveland area contacted his office this morning offering to train him, his wife, and any interested legislators for their CHLs.
    Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
    --Thomas Paine

Learn how Project Appleseed Marksmanship and Heritage events support freedom.

Well, I'm glad that he has actually changed his mind... That is, if he has. He certainly seems to have. The real proof will be the next time a vote comes up.

The more usual reaction to this kind of thing is the adoption of a hugely hypocritical double standard. That is, for the politician to think that his life is somehow more important than the lives of "commoners." The result being that he believes HE should be allowed to defend his life and his family, while he continues to believe that OTHER people should NOT be allowed to do the same.

There are too many people who are just evil and mean-spirited
    That's the term Dems use to describe Republicans.

I'm glad he is seeing the light!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Hopefully he feels that this new found enlightenment should pertain to the little people also, and not become an elitist, thinking only those in political positions need such tools.

I don’t know the man, so I can’t say, but fingers crossed for Ohioans in the future.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Good thing, hopefully he will not only choose to carry buy to lobby on our (and his own) behalf.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

This just goes to show that you cannot be totally safe anywhere. You need to take steps to insure your own safty.

This is one of the few (if any) times the BGs deserve cudos! Mmmm...maybe the antis will claim the NRA or some such pro-2A group is going around antimidating anti-gun legislators into coverting! Double mmm.....

What pisses me off about people of power like this is how abilities and exercising of them are okay for others only after they themselves have experienced and/or discovered a direct need for as much.
    As though prior to his own situation the calls and comments of very many others amongst his constituents and the country at larger who prior fell on deaf ears were nothing more than anecdotes and histrionics.

I say deny him his permit request just as he voted to do so for his constituents and leave home to figure out alternative means to defend himself and his family. I say to him go buy a dog. Don't walk around your neighborhood at dusk or dark. Buy a cellphone and dial '9-1-1'. Leave the guns to the cops.
    Don't worry be happy is what I'd say to him just as he said and voted toward his constituents.

These people kill me how they walk through life believing that because such and such has not happened to them then well it must not be of relevance and/or it only happens in bad neighborhoods or the 'inner city' and such other proven to be crap crap ass responses.

What are we citizens supposed to do in the mean time, wait and hope & pray that our town and state lawmakers fall victim to a random crime and that they then might 'change their mind' so that they themselves might be able to defend themselves and as a secondary result we serfs too might enjoy similar same?

Next time maybe he could in a calm voice talk to his attackers about how he voted against citizen defensive measures and that as such he is of no harm to them and to just take his wallet and go on their way.

A hypocritical moron he is.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; May 15th, 2007 at 03:01 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I read this on another site this morning and thought, too bad this experience doesn't happen to a lot of legislators. Maybe they would wise up if it did.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Great turnaround. Thanks for posting
    For God, Family and Country!

Taaadddaaaa!!!!! Hey who turned ON the light?

It only took an attempt on his life to make him realize he valued his life and wanted to protect it.

If he spearheads a bill to get more good CHL changes in Ohio I'll be impressed. Like to allow restaurant carry or something like that.

That would mean that he is actually being pro-active, and realizing how dumb all the stipulations he and the others put into the original law, and is trying to change it.

Good for him, glad he's alive. Now use your newfound wisdom along with your position to better society instead of just using something to help yourself.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links