Me Brudder got his CCP

This is a discussion on Me Brudder got his CCP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We'un's call it a concealed carry permit. My brother's wife had for years been afraid of guns - so - no guns for him. Now ...

Thread: Me Brudder got his CCP

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Me Brudder got his CCP

We'un's call it a concealed carry permit.
    My brother's wife had for years been afraid of guns - so - no guns for him.

Now - I guess after so much press about what could and has happened to others - she's changed her mind and given him the go-ahead on a gun.

I'm early 50's and he's early 60's. He's in great shape, very active, jogging, tennis, golf etc...

He just emailed me about how he just went to the Sheriff's Dept - Filled out the form - waited about 20 min's - paid $20 bucks - stood in front of the camera - walked out with his permit.

NOW he's gonna take me with him to look at guns.

With all I've been going on about the new M&P - that's what he's thinking about getting right now. The 40c seems to be what he's interested in.

Dunno if that's the best for him or not. We'll go soon and look at the M&P and others and I'll let you know what he ends up with in another post after the purchase...
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Wow. I wish it were that easy to get a permit in Kansas!
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    is that really all there is to it in Alabama
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Assistant Administrator
    Much same as here in PA - in and out! But, $26!

Good to hear ''brudder'' is going ahead on this - like as not he will be just one of many who thru ''circumstances'' has seen the light, helped by spousal acceptance too. Good for him.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Yes, and Alabama is "may issue". But that is very misleading!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    As long as you don't have anything (prior felon or other) it's really that easy.

A while back - thinking about some of the questions you fill out on the form - I asked the lady at the desk if anyone was ever turned down or anything interesting ever happen.
    She said not very often but there has been a time or two after they received the person's app to run - that a few min's later a Deputy came up and had to arrest them. The time or two this happened she said they were very surprised - that it was something like a no-show or no-pay for minor stuff - tickets or something that caused a warrent to go out on the person.

VIP Member
    It's that easy in Mobile County. In other counties it may be harder. I live in a small rural county and I had to wait two weeks for the background check to be done. However, my wife forgot to renew her permit in February. When she went in today they renewed it with no hassle. The thing to remember about Alabama and it being a may issue state is that the sheriff keeps the fee. Only a very stupid sheriff or one who has all the money his office needs will reject an app without a valid reason.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    In Elmore county I renew my permit by mail. The Sheriff mails me a form I fill it out and send it back with a pre-paid envolpe and a check for $20. In a week or so I get my new permit in the mail.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    In Elmore county I renew my permit by mail. The Sheriff mails me a form I fill it out and send it back with a pre-paid envolpe and a check for $20. In a week or so I get my new permit in the mail.
    After getting your first one - same process in Mobile - renew by mail.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah after the first one. Same thing to renew my Class 03 FFL (C&R) I had to go there the first time to get the Sheriff to approve my ATF app. Now to renew I just mail him a copy of my app.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Must be nice to have such a quick response. I took my CCW class on April 23 and turned it in to the proper Authorities, the Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Salt Lake City, along with my $59.00 and was told it is taking 100 days for the background check and permit to be issued. Going to be a long summer.

In Missouri the Sheriff "Must Issue" a certificate within two weeks of application regardless if FBI or Highway Patrol check is back or not.

Within the two weeks, the Sheriff gives you a certificate that you walk into any DMV office in Missouri, they take your picture and add the CCW "endorcement" to your DL or a State ID (if you don't want it on your DL) and they have a machine that prints your card out right there.

If he issues the permit certificate and FBI comes back that you are not eligible for a permit, then the Sheriff has to come and revoke the DMV issued CCW permit from you.

Kind of screwy if you ask me, but hey the legislators did not want to infringe on your right just because the Highway Patrol says it can take up to 3 months to do your background check.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by troyw64 View Post
    Must be nice to have such a quick response. I took my CCW class on April 23 and turned it in to the proper Authorities, the Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Salt Lake City, along with my $59.00 and was told it is taking 100 days for the background check and permit to be issued. Going to be a long summer.
    Troy... from what I have found out, your application sits there for 99 days as those in front of you are processed systematically. They work first in first out and come to your file and process it with the actual work only taking maybe a day or two. The delay is the result of a huge backlog an many applications and not in the amount of time it takes to do a background check. There are a ton of people applying from out of state and that is stretching the resources (a three person staff from what I'm told) that were already very thin.

Best of luck. I submitted my application Feb 20, 2007 and know exactly how you feel. Still waiting for mine as well
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    We'un's call it a concealed carry permit.
    My brother's wife had for years been afraid of guns - so - no guns for him.

Now - I guess after so much press about what could and has happened to others - she's changed her mind and given him the go-ahead on a gun.

I'm early 50's and he's early 60's. He's in great shape, very active, jogging, tennis, golf etc...

He just emailed me about how he just went to the Sheriff's Dept - Filled out the form - waited about 20 min's - paid $20 bucks - stood in front of the camera - walked out with his permit.

NOW he's gonna take me with him to look at guns.

With all I've been going on about the new M&P - that's what he's thinking about getting right now. The 40c seems to be what he's interested in.

Dunno if that's the best for him or not. We'll go soon and look at the M&P and others and I'll let you know what he ends up with in another post after the purchase...
    The 40C is an awesome gun and my primary carry piece! He will be very happy with it!!

Bark'n
    Now I like the idea of having the CC endorsed on the drivers license.
    I already have Motorcycle and Vessel on mine and to keep from having another card altogether I'd like having it on the DL too.
    My wallet's too fat already and not from money I assure you.
    Every grocery store wants you to have THEIR card too or
    you'll pay MORE for what you purchase.

Links