Are you "qualified" with every gun you carry? - Page 3

Are you "qualified" with every gun you carry?

This is a discussion on Are you "qualified" with every gun you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I "qualified" with a .22 revolver and automatic at my training class. In MO you shoot 20 rounds (must hit a B37 with a minimum ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I "qualified" with a .22 revolver and automatic at my training class. In MO you shoot 20 rounds (must hit a B37 with a minimum of 15 rounds) at 7 yards with a pistol of your choice. My instructor included all ammo so I shot his auto during my qualifying shoot. You then have to demonstrate you can handle and reload and shoot another 70 rounds with both types of guns. That being done, I carry a 92FS or a Taurus 650 CIA .357 snubby. By the way, the shooting portion of the test is in Ill. and I didn't bring my weapons becuase of their laws.

Here's my qualification test.

Taurus PT911 9mm at 25 feet.

Mr. Lowe:

That's good shooting. But I advise you delete that image from existence and burn the target.

Two are in the white.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, we can look at exhibit A and see clearly the defendant is incapable of..."

Most people don't understand how handguns work in the real world.

No such requirment in Minnesota.

You just have to pass a proficiency test. The law does not specify caliber or quantity of firearms to be tested, or even how the test is to be conducted. Most courses I have seen, including the one I teach only record your final score and do not keep track of guns used.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Mr. Lowe:

That's good shooting. But I advise you delete that image from existence and burn the target.

Two are in the white.
    Can I help it if he moved at the last moment. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Luckily, TN does not have you carry just the gun you qualified with. I qualified with an Interarms Walther PPK/S, which broke the day after I received my permit in the mail. My brother kindly loaned me his G23 until I was able to purchase a K40. I've been through a half dozen carry guns since, finding what worked better for me. I'd hate to have to be stuck with only what I "qualified" with, or have to list specific handguns on my permit.

The lose-lose situation we're in is very interesting. Antis claim only cops and military should have guns because only they have the proper training. However, if we take classes at Thunder Ranch, consistently pop the bullseye, and invest our money in a well-made handgun, we were "planning to murder, must be vigilantes, and cannot be trusted wth firearms." We're either not good enough or too good. There is no just right with antis, because they do not think logically and just don't care.
    there was a time a few years ago in this great state of TN that you did have to have a permit for each gun you carry. but there is a formal handgun class and a passing score was recorded, at least there was in the classs i took. but betty was right in the fact that it is not listed to only the gun you have qualed with in Tn, just that you have and you should know when , where and how to carry one with some common sense. And the permits in TN no longer say concealed!

Talking

I sure am! I can successfully pull the trigger on every firearm that I own!! :-)

Indiana, being a pro-freedom paradise, doesn't require any "qualification" testing for a personal-protection handgun license, AKA CCW. I qualified as a 4-time Expert with the M-16A2 while in the U.S. Marines, so I figure I know pretty well which end the fast, pointy things come out of... Too bad I can't carry around my AR-15A2 HBAR on my Indiana Handgun License...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

In OH, you have to have 2 hours of range time to 'qualify' for the permit - or rather an NRA Certificate of Completion to apply for a CCW. There are no hard and fast rules to 'qualifying' (ie hit COM from 25yds or any other such metrics), the instructor observes you shooting and makes the subjective call. You don't have to 'qualify' with the handgun that you are gonna carry, but the instructor insisted that the minimum caliber that he would consider for 'qualification' was 9mm and larger. Dunno if this was his opinion or state rule.

I practice with my CC weapons until I feel comfortable with my life using it, then I will carry it.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    In Pennsylvania there are no qualifications necessary for any handgun that is carried. We can carry any handgun that we can affford to buy. There is no written documentation and absolutely no range, written, or oral testing required as part of obtaining a License To Carry Concealed.
    Ditto in Idaho
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

In California you have to qualify every gun you will carry and it must be on your permit. It is in noway worth losing your permit over to carry without qualifying. I recently bought a new glock 27 and couldn't carry it for two weeks until I qualified and got all the paperwork done and the Sheriff signed it. But hey it's worth it.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Very much so

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I have no official qualifications for any pistol I carry, the only qualification I have is for the berretta M9 (a pistol I would never own, much less carry). But as my state has no qualification requirement, I see no legal problem. As for my comfort level, I think you gain much more confidence just burning powder on the range. A qualification class is a good start for new shooters, but like a lot of things the only way to stay sharp is by practice. You can't get that from a qualification.

In Indiana you do not have to qualify with any gun you own. However since I am in law enforcement I do have to qualify every 6 months or so. Than means with everything I carry on and off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Hulk
    the instructor insisted that the minimum caliber that he would consider for 'qualification' was 9mm and larger. Dunno if this was his opinion or state rule.
    My (Ohio) instructor required minimum .380, and I haven't seen any standard except that it be an actual firearm--There's an Ohio county where a bunch of CCW's were revoked when they discovered an instructor was having his students use a pellet gun.

My instructor will "requalify" me if I get another gun for $25. He's clear that it isn't a requirement, but claims it will help in a civil suit.

Not Leagaly

No requirement to "Qualify" with a given weapon in Arizona. That being said, I am qualified to my personal standards with everything I carry and have the targets to prove it. This is the ultimate level of personall responsibility. If you can not prove it to yourself, yall got no business packing it!!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links