Businesses that have no firearms signs posted

This is a discussion on Businesses that have no firearms signs posted within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going on the used car dealership thread I have a question for you. So you simply just not give them your business or do you ...

Thread: Businesses that have no firearms signs posted

Going on the used car dealership thread I have a question for you.

So you simply just not give them your business or do you contact them and tell them why?

I ALWAYS write a letter telling them why I decided not to give them my business ( on the grounds of not being able to protect myself against criminals who could care less about their signs anyway) and I also inform them that I will spread the word to my other legal, law abiding firearm owning freinds and family not to shop there.

I think this gets the message across much better and may cause some businesses to rethink their policies if they get enough letters.

I agree. If one choses not to go into a business that is a "gun free zone", you have to let them know. I avoid "gun free zones" also. If they don't trust me, given I have gotten my CCW, I don't trust them to protect me while I am shopping.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    I do not write them because I wouldn't give them my business anyway. If they don't support the Second Amendment then I won't support them, whether or not they are posted.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Assistant Administrator
    If they don't support the Second Amendment then I won't support them, whether or not they are posted.
    True - some may be rabidly anti 2A. However I do not think all necessarily will be.

Some may be shy of allowing carry - for whatever misplaced reasons .. and in those cases I do think a mention, either verbal at the establishment or after - a letter to head honcho, just might allow for some reconsideration.

The ''I am taking my business elsewhere'' has achieved quite a lot in the past. When the $$$$'s walk in sufficient qty it can be a powerful tool.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm with Chris. Not all who are currently anti-gun are ideologs. They probably just don't know the facts or may have been given bad advice. It costs nothing to pass on a little bit of info that may help them see the error of their ways and make a correction, and it could have a very positive effect. Even if they're only doing it for the sake of business, they're still doing it, and it removes an anti-gun advertisement that may influence others.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Absolutely correct!

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I'm with Chris. Not all who are currently anti-gun are ideologs. They probably just don't know the facts or may have been given bad advice. It costs nothing to pass on a little bit of info that may help them see the error of their ways and make a correction, and it could have a very positive effect. Even if they're only doing it for the sake of business, they're still doing it, and it removes an anti-gun advertisement that may influence others.

I ask to speak to a manager then hand them one of those "no guns, no money" cards with my name and phone # on it. If the manager isn't there I ask that the card be given to them and I would like a call where I explain why I won't shop there any more. I also let them know that the word will be spread and if they have a change of heart to contact me so I can spread that too. I find that most of the time they are simply uninformed about CC permit holders and the signs come down. Not the case with big malls but small businesses it works. I like to not miss an opportunity to change a mind.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I ask to speak to a manager then hand them one of those "no guns, no money" cards with my name and phone # on it. If the manager isn't there I ask that the card be given to them and I would like a call where I explain why I won't shop there any more. I also let them know that the word will be spread and if they have a change of heart to contact me so I can spread that too. I find that most of the time they are simply uninformed about CC permit holders and the signs come down. Not the case with big malls but small businesses it works. I like to not miss an opportunity to change a mind.
    I need to print some cards to do just that.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Cool We should tell them.

We should tell posted business why we refuse to give them our business. If we don't tell them, how can we expect them to change their rules? I doubt that anti's will refuse to do business with a business that is not posted, because the anti is not even aware that the business allows CCW. But when that business is posted, that is a direct affront to us CCW's. We are directly told they do not want our business. So we must tell them why we refuse to do business with them. A protest that no one sees or hear is not a protest. If you want oil, SQUEAK!
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    It doesn't help anyone if you don't shop there AND you don't tell them you skipped over them because of the signs.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

If I was opening my store in VA and not MD I would be putting out a sign that says OC Welcome. To bad MD has stupid ass laws with political leaders who are of the caliber of a small newt.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I don't LOOK for "no carry" signs, because they have no legal standing in my state (PA) .

If I did see one in a store , I would conclude my business and leave.

Only if I were "compromised" would I explain the facts to them , and
    then (obviously ) leave if requested.

Life is to short to debate Constitutional Issues with the manager of
    a Mini-Mart.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I always ask if the signs include ccw permit holders. In some casesthe answer is no and I enter and do my business. I have seen very few of these signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I always ask if the signs include ccw permit holders. In some casesthe answer is no and I enter and do my business. I have seen very few of these signs.
    I notice that you are in Florida, as am I.

It's my understanding that the 'No Guns' signs in Florida have no force of law and can be ignored. I can find no mention of them in Sec. 790 of the Florida Statutes. Am I missing something here, or are you simply choosing to not do business in any establishment that displays such a sign?

Brian

Sponsored Links