Florida CCW...Caliber Restrictions?

Florida CCW...Caliber Restrictions?

This is a discussion on Florida CCW...Caliber Restrictions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the difference in a Florida CCW (which I have), and a class G Florida permit? I've read somewhere that the class G only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida CCW...Caliber Restrictions?

Question Florida CCW...Caliber Restrictions?

What is the difference in a Florida CCW (which I have), and a class G Florida permit? I've read somewhere that the class G only allows a person to carry 9m, .357, or .38. Does that also apply to the "blanket" CCW that people can get out of state? Hope my question is clear enough? If not let me know. Thanks

I don't know if FL has permits that the county sheriff can issue like other states do in addition to the regular one. It could be that. Louisiana has permits that the sheriff can give out and it allows carry in places where you can't carry with the normal one. It is also given to "special officers" that the sheriff can appoint.

The firearm free zones at Universities prohibit the normal CHP but the sheriff issued one is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel102 View Post
    What is the difference in a Florida CCW (which I have), and a class G Florida permit? I've read somewhere that the class G only allows a person to carry 9m, .357, or .38. Does that also apply to the "blanket" CCW that people can get out of state? Hope my question is clear enough? If not let me know. Thanks
    I think that the Class "G" is required for a job as an armed guard. I'm not sure about calibre restrictions. Someone correct me if I'm wrong???
    Tony

AFIK, the "g" license is for P.I.'s, Bail Bond Agents, Armored car drivers, etc.

The CCW isn't specific to type or qty. or caliber of handguns carried.

Florida has a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License.(CWFL)
    Many non-firearm weapons may be carried on this license(in the State of Florida).
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    As far as I know -- and apart from some of the limitations, like schools, sporting events, etc. -- Florida's concealed carry license is among the best, particularly because it specifically enables carry of weapons other than firearms. It's one of the broadest licenses around.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    I think that the Class "G" is required for a job as an armed guard. I'm not sure about calibre restrictions. Someone correct me if I'm wrong???
    You are correct - the "G" license is for armed security, and only covers them while on duty.

There are narrow restrictions on both the caliber of firearm and the type of ammo that may be carried on a "G" license (no FMJ, teflon coated, or pre-fragmented ammo for example.

The full list can be found here: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...93/Sec6115.HTM

None of this applies to a civilian CWFL, which allows you to carry any non-NFA handgun (i.e. no full auto, no sawed off shotguns, etc).

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I am going for my Class "G" license here in the State of Florida and this is what I understand. Only persons with a current Private Investigators license , Armed guard etc. are eligible for the "G" license. That being said, I currently possess a CCW license for concealed carry but only if I am off duty. Meaning that if in the course of the day if I am performing P.I. related work I cannot carry my weapon even with the CCW in hand. Therefore they require a Class "G" statewide license which requires a 28 hour course to satisfy the training portion of the license. In the words of my local State Investigator the CCW teaches you how to spell your name and nothing more.
    In your darkest hour, always remember someone is coming for you and that you are never truly alone.......

NRA member
    NRA Business Alliance member

G license

G license allows security officer to carry a weapon while on duty not for personal carry and you know what the ccw is already,hope that answers your question.

For your information, my Fla license has no mention of caliber and in all my reading, (a lot) on the Fla laws, there is no mention of caliber.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    I don't know if FL has permits that the county sheriff can issue like other states do in addition to the regular one. It could be that. Louisiana has permits that the sheriff can give out and it allows carry in places where you can't carry with the normal one. It is also given to "special officers" that the sheriff can appoint.

The firearm free zones at Universities prohibit the normal CHP but the sheriff issued one is ok.
    interesting. How easily are these obtained?

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post

Never heard of this ..where is it mentioned?
    "While the wicked stand confounded, call me with thy saints surrounded."

Springfield XD9-SC
    1895 Chilean Mauser
    1981 Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS
    1943 Mosin-Nagant M-38
    NRA Life Member(when it gets paid for)
    Moving Eventually ... Montana or Wyoming anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaetos View Post
    Never heard of this ..where is it mentioned?
    I had heard of it for a long time. I remember people getting permits from the sheriff long before the statewide CHP became available but you had to know someone to get it. I have heard of people wanting to get this one in addition to the state permit b/c it will allow you to carry in more places. I'm not totally sure of where except for a campus.

If you look in the Firearm Free Zone statute it is mentioned in the exception that allows carry on campus with this permit, (on the legislature website) it provides a link to the statute concerning this permit.

RS 40:1379.1

Section G
    G. The chief law enforcement officer of a parish shall have the authority to issue a concealed handgun permit to an individual, which permit shall be valid only within the boundaries of the chief law enforcement officer's parish. Upon application, the officer shall personally perform a standard criminal record check. The officer who performed the standard criminal record check shall not be liable for acts committed by the permittee, unless the officer had actual personal knowledge at the time he issued the permit that the permittee was mentally unstable or disqualified by law from possessing a firearm. Notwithstanding the provisions of this Subsection, the issuance of a permit shall not be unreasonably withheld.

News to me

I've had my permit here for over 12 years and have never heard of a special permit issued by a sheriff or other law enforcement person. And we have counties here, not parishes.
    There are no restrictions on caliber in Fl. for CCW. Carry what you want from 22 short to 50 caliber. It's up to you.

Buy the biggest bullets you can afford :)

I believe our Concealed Carry law is written so that it trumps any local regulations.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links