Shooting occurred across the street

This is a discussion on Shooting occurred across the street within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it happened this morning. A thug robbed the Whataburger behind my school and then proceeded to the donut shop across the street and robbed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting occurred across the street

Shooting occurred across the street

Well, it happened this morning. A thug robbed the Whataburger behind my school and then proceeded to the donut shop across the street and robbed it also. He shot and killed one of the donut workers because I guess he didn't move fast enough. He stole a car and drove to Dallas with Mesquite police and Dallas PD in hot pursuit. They got in a shootout and one DPD officer was injured but the perp was shot and killed.

There are others on our faculty that are CHL'ers with me and we all agreed that this is hitting really close to home. We felt real uncomfortable all day with shots fired right across the street and no way to protect ourselves other than locking the door.

As I posted in a topic earlier in the week about looking for a small revolver, today's activities have really brought it home to me to be prepared at all times. I have a really nice Kershaw Blur knife with me at all times in school. I'm going to keep the revolver in my truck while at school and ON MY PERSON at all other times.

You just never know when some idiot is going to go wacko and start shooting.

Sorry for the long post, but I am still shook up about it.

Joe

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    What would it take for you to be allowed to carry at school? Could the Principle authorize it? How about the Superintendent? Or would the Texas law have to change?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

It's obvious what the problem is here. The donut shop should have had a "no firearms" sign posted outside. That would have prevented the shooting.

I could poke holes in that theory....

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    It's obvious what the problem is here. The donut shop should have had a "no firearms" sign posted outside. That would have prevented the shooting.
    EXACTLY!!! That is exactly what we need! Lots more "gun free"/"safe for the BG" Zones.

And shouldn't there have been a Police Officer in the Donut shop?
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Our district is so concerned (ha, ha) that they won't even give us a school resource officer.

This bad guy could literally have gone across our parking lot to go from the donut shop to the Whataburger.

Joe

Does TX law prevent carrying on campus or just the campus rules? I'm not advocating breaking the state law, but if it's just a campus rule...your life is worth more than a degree...Forget about keepin it in the truck and carry it 24x7....just my 2 lincolns... If it's TX law...you could move to UT or VA.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

It must have been shift change, the officer assigned to that donut shop must have been on break. When you said Whataburger I didn't even have to look where you lived, a Texas institution. The Whataburger should have had the "no gun" sign. This would have prevented it all.

Governor Perry has indicated a willingness to sign a bill eliminating state "Gun Free" zones. We need to push such a bill to him soon.....
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

The idea of a gun-free zone being a 'safe zone' violates a) the basic right of being able to protect yourself, b) the tenet that says you are safer unarmed (perps ARE armed), and c) the concept that any law enforcement authorities can EVER show up on time. I work for a university and cringe every day while I walk past the big sign that says "No Firearms". I asked the boss and he said it's OK, in *our* case (can't speak for all universities) to have a gun locked up in the vehicle or have it on the property, but can't take it inside. Makes you wonder. I remember the days when concealed meant REALLY concealed because it was against the law to conceal a weapon ...wonder which is worse? Losing a job and getting canned for carrying, or dying while some whack-nut on anti-depressants decides to have a 'depression problem' in your neck of the woods? Makes you wonder for sure. I think as more and more mass murders happen in this country, that more and more people are going to realize that Brady was brain-dead before he got shot and that people like him are wrong... THEY violate our rights.

Write to your senators, congressmen/women, school officials, everybody ...tell them you feel unsafe and want the right to protect yourself when the bad guys come.

Quote Originally Posted by turdherder View Post
    It must have been shift change, the officer assigned to that donut shop must have been on break. When you said Whataburger I didn't even have to look where you lived, a Texas institution. The Whataburger should have had the "no gun" sign. This would have prevented it all.
    Good one!

me
    Man stuff like this is always scary
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Does TX law prevent carrying on campus or just the campus rules? I'm not advocating breaking the state law, but if it's just a campus rule...your life is worth more than a degree...Forget about keepin it in the truck and carry it 24x7....just my 2 lincolns... If it's TX law...you could move to UT or VA.
    It is against Texas law to carry inside a school building (not on campus, just inside a building), however the law says "unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution"
    .....but I know of no school districts or colleges that give that written authorization
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Except don't go to VCU, it's the only university specifically mentioned in state law.
    You might also want to weigh the fact that if you're expelled, you won't be able to get into any other schools either. I did what you're doing, but with a semiauto. I was too close to my degree to throw it away, but YMMV.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I heard a blip about someone considering changing the law in regards to CHL in schools to allow it. Missed the meat of the story but I can assume that it is in Texas because it was on a local radio news/talk station. They mentioned that currently Utah is the only state that allows CHL on it's campuses.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links