Summer Carry Setups - Page 2

Summer Carry Setups

This is a discussion on Summer Carry Setups within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since the weather doesn't change that much down here (aside from hurricanes) I don't change what I carry....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Carry Setups

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Since the weather doesn't change that much down here (aside from hurricanes) I don't change what I carry.

Occasionally if it's really a scorcher I'll drop the 1911 IWB and go to a snub IWB or pocket carry. Being in Florida a scorcher means pushing high 90's with associated humidity though.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I don't usually change based on temperature. I keep the same gear pretty much all year round with a 1911 IWB. I'm in VA so it's relatively mild weather most of the time...although we do get some nasty humidity(and associated genetically-mutated mosquitos from h3!!) sometimes and makes you wonder if the entire landmass of VA just up and moves to florida for mid-summer.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    When I'm out in shorts and such, I will switch from my Glock 27 to my Kel-Tek P3AT. The Kel-Tek is by far the easiest gun I have to conceal.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

VIP Member
    I just really don't get it. It can be 110 with 80% humidity and I don't have to change. The Glock 23 conceals as well under a coat in the winter as it does in the summer with a t-shirt and shorts.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I just really don't get it. It can be 110 with 80% humidity and I don't have to change. The Glock 23 conceals as well under a coat in the winter as it does in the summer with a t-shirt and shorts.
    Nothing to gert. I have an extensive collection of .45's and I can't just pick one to carry. I shoot them all and any excuse I can get to carry a different one I will. Oh and I owned a glock and did not like the way my had fit it so I sold it but it was a versatile weapon.

I haven't changed mode of carry until now, but I am reconsidering. Not all shorts have belt loops and wearing a belt without it being attached to the pants is kinda weird for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKpacker View Post
    I carry a Beretta 90-two, 9mm, in a Galco shoulder holster under a jacket/coat during late fall, winter, early spring. The rest of the year it's the HK USP compact, 9mm, owb under a large baseball type t-shirt. This combination works best for me with the hot, humid days in the south.
    Which holster type do you use (Jackass, Miami Classic, or MCII)? I have been researching shoulder holsters and the Jackass type holster with the MCII mag carrier seems like a good setup since I don't really like the breaks on the Jackass and MC mag carriers.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I used to carry .45 in the winter and a 9mm when it was warmer. Now that I am in the south its just whatever I feel like that particular day.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I haven't changed mode of carry until now, but I am reconsidering. Not all shorts have belt loops and wearing a belt without it being attached to the pants is kinda weird for me.

Which holster type do you use (Jackass, Miami Classic, or MCII)? I have been researching shoulder holsters and the Jackass type holster with the MCII mag carrier seems like a good setup since I don't really like the breaks on the Jackass and MC mag carriers.
    I carry the Beretta in the Galco VHS (Vertical Shoulder Holster System) with the SCL double mag carrier. It took about (10) weeks to get this holster due to demand by civies as well as the military using them for the M9. It is a very high quality leather holster.
    BTW, this is the holster that is the "Holsters for Heros" program holster in which Galco has provided over $75,000 worth of Vertical Shoulder Holster systems to American troops deployed overseas.
    Kudos for Galco!

VIP Member
    Yes, in cold weather I'll sometimes use an OWB holster under my jacket/coat or flannel shirt.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry my Kimber Ultra CDP II & 1 extra mag year round.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Same year round for me. The only thing that changes is cover garments. Sweatshirt in the winter, t-shirt in the summer. My G30 prints a little with a size large t-shirt, so I try to wear XL, but it's not an issue here in Ohio. It's not illegal if it's noticed, and most people are oblivious anyway, but I still try my best to keep it hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by HKpacker View Post
    I carry the Beretta in the Galco VHS (Vertical Shoulder Holster System) with the SCL double mag carrier. It took about (10) weeks to get this holster due to demand by civies as well as the military using them for the M9. It is a very high quality leather holster.
    BTW, this is the holster that is the "Holsters for Heros" program holster in which Galco has provided over $75,000 worth of Vertical Shoulder Holster systems to American troops deployed overseas.
    Kudos for Galco!
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up ordering some IWBs, I don't think I'm really a shoulder holster kind of person. I noticed the "Holsters for Heros" on Galco's site, good on 'em for the effort, I appreciate the companies that do those "buyback" type deals like Ergo grips did with the M9 grips.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

In the summer, a P3AT with a Galco pocket holster. Steve48

Glock 23 Hume IWB if shirt, under jacket or fleece zip up or vest. Under loose t-shirt in summer. If not worried about printing too much I go with blade tech paddle holster. Four distinct seasons here. But I have every kind of holster imaginable. Kind of like my girlfriend has shoes....one for every outfit. HEHE
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links