Problems With The Fire Chief - Page 2

Problems With The Fire Chief

This is a discussion on Problems With The Fire Chief within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Freakdaddy I have first hand experience with these types. If you ignore it, it will go away but something else will surface ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakdaddy View Post
    I have first hand experience with these types. If you ignore it, it will go away but something else will surface later. Hit it head on, show this guy your not one to be bullied and it should stop.
    Bingo. That's about how it works.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Vollies make me laugh. Make peace with him by buying him another blue light for his POV. Vollies love lightbars and blue lights on their POV's

Possibly a marginally dissenting view:

Why open-carry? Yes, it is a right, but it invites attention. Get your stuff in order, and resolve the issue with Fire, but examine your mode of operation as well. I guess my point is, if you OC, you better be the kind of harda** who is willing and able to respond with overwhelming violence, and know how and when to properly apply said force. Clean cut & OC makes you look "Cop", if the local thugs know you aren't a cop, it can make you a "challenge". Just something to consider...........

me
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Vollies make me laugh. Make peace with him by buying him another blue light for his POV. Vollies love lightbars and blue lights on their POV's
    Hey His would be Red he is the chief.... Vollies dont all get pulled away byyyyyyyyyyy hey look another blue light I MUST HAVE IT.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I will apply for my CHL later this year.
    From what a few people have told me, the county Sheriff tends to be more accepting to those applying that have lived here a little while.
    Sorry you are have troubles with the Chief, from what I have experienced as a 6 year Vollie with an Ast Chief father is that the chiefs can be persnicity quite often.

My opinion on the matter is that you should take your expired CHL/CPL/LTCF whichever down to the sheriffs office and apply for a PA permit. I do not think you will have any problem showing that you had one before. Also it does not matter one bit if the sheriff is acceptin if you are in order he has to issue the permit. No question go and get it then if you still desire to open carry go for it... for me it is concealed everywhere but home.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    rady8um,

Welcome to this wonderful board!
    Its great to see another PA member too!

I will apply for my CHL later this year.
    From what a few people have told me, the county Sheriff tends to be more accepting to those applying that have lived here a little while.
    Well it really isn't the county sheriff's desicion. As long as you have a clean background then you will be issued the license. Pa is shall issue.

VIP Member
    I'd leave it alone; but, have any pertinent documents available as a back up

I agree with nn, leave it be. Your hearing about his problem through others. Educate the others. Some of them will get it back to him. He has a problem with guns. Your not likely to change that. Copy the statutes on open carry, shrunk down but readable, laminate, and keep with you when you carry--in the event an inexperienced LEO questions you. I can't imagine an LEO not knowing the law on carrying, but I guess it happens...

My local LEOs have not only educated me as I've asked questions, but have encouraged me getting a concealed carry permit, and seem to enjoy trying to sell me on their favorite firearms.

Who cares what the local tough guy thinks take it up with the local leo if something comes of it otherwise ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by mmwb View Post
    I agree with nn, leave it be. Your hearing about his problem through others. Educate the others. Some of them will get it back to him. He has a problem with guns. Your not likely to change that. Copy the statutes on open carry, shrunk down but readable, laminate, and keep with you when you carry--in the event an inexperienced LEO questions you. I can't imagine an LEO not knowing the law on carrying, but I guess it happens...

My local LEOs have not only educated me as I've asked questions, but have encouraged me getting a concealed carry permit, and seem to enjoy trying to sell me on their favorite firearms.
    AAhh yes. Wonderful Wyoming.
    I lived in Cheyenne and Laramie for a few years.(I move around a lot)
    I remember walking down Main St. Cheyenne Open carrying and the cop stopped me and talked about Glocks.

The Midwest is the only Free America left.....
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

WOW......... just dont embarass the local Fire Chief to badly..... if you ever need him to respond to your house........
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

I'd try not to go one-on-one with the chief if possible since he IS the local fire chief and you're the new, young out-ot-towner. However, if there continues to be friction over you carrying a weapon in the open, I'd be pre-emptive and speak with the local COP/sheriff about the situation BEFORE the chief. I'd tell him what's being said, tell him I can't see why the fire chief is so upset and ASK his opinion on how to ease the tension.

A spoon full of sugar is a lot easier to accept than a glass of vinegar. DO NOT start a rant or get into a debate with the local LEO's on 2nd Amendment rights or how it's your "God given right" to carry a gun in America. It will not win you any support, whether you're right or not. Be polite, explain the situation and ask if he could help ease the fire chiefs concerns.
    Last edited by rachilders; May 18th, 2007 at 04:31 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Become part of your community in as many ways as possible
    (shop local - join a club - volunteer for local politics ,etc.):
    Hey, you could be a volunteer firefighter!

Seriously though (but don't take MY advice) I get some serious heartburn when blowhards start telling people about things they don't understand.

If it was me I'd confront the dimwit in a public place (like a fire station) and inform him that my gun is none of his business unless it's on fire. I could care less if he shows up at my house on a fire call, and most of the firefighters probably agree.

But that's just me.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Ignore him.

If you pay attention to all the stupid people out there you will very shortly run out of time for anything else.

If he says something to you, I understand that he has not yet, then respond with a copy of the PA law on Open carry.

If your legal, I would just ignore him. Don't give him any more power than what he thinks he has. Steve48

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links