Follow to the wife doesn't like handguns..

This is a discussion on Follow to the wife doesn't like handguns.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; See previous post some months back... http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=14764 So, we're out at the local grocery store, 9pm, and since I only have on jeans and a ...

Thread: Follow to the wife doesn't like handguns..

Follow to the wife doesn't like handguns..

See previous post some months back... http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=14764

So, we're out at the local grocery store, 9pm, and since I only have on jeans and a tshirt, I don't take the .40 with me ( it's a full size S+W ). As we approach the car and I pop the locks with my clicker, an old guy 60-70 feet away waves at me and starts to approach. I look the old guy over, and notice he has a hand in his pocket ( yellow alert ).. I scan him a bit more, and move away from the car keeping an eye on his hands, as the wife gets into the car. The guy continues to approach on the drivers side, and I can see he doesn't have anything bulky in his pants pocket ( at least what I could detect, looking for a gun ). Since I'm 6 foot, 230, I'm not to worried about a 65+ old man ( 5'7" or so, maybe 145, not in too good of shape ) at 10 feet. Well, he just wants to ask me about my car ( Magnum wagon ), what kind of mileage it gets, he's a Dodge guy but wants to trade in his truck... We talk for a minute or so, and he wanders off.

As I get into the car, the wife 'plunk's' down the center console ( where I store my gun ). I look over at her, and she says, " I figured I'd have it ready, just in case.. " Quite a change in a year.

You know, sometimes I am convinced I married the right girl..

2. Remove Ads

Awesome...Keep her around at all times :)

She had the gun ready, which is good.

As for you, I think you may have just seen a first hand demonstration of how to CC a J-Frame and always be protected. If you had a J-Frame in your pocket you could've had your hand on your gun the whole time you were talking to him, and nobody the wiser.

"There is no draw faster than a gun already in hand." By the way, I married the right girl too. She doesn't shoot, but lets me buy the guns I want. I just bought a Colt SAA in 45 Colt.

Biker

Assistant Administrator
    It's encouraging when partners become switched on to this ....... altho it can take time.

My wife has had her CCW 2 years or so and yet I am still struggling to get her into better habits so she has her options improved when out alone. It'll come I think but not by brow beating ... just hope to gradually increase her own motivation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It's gratifying when you know your partner is there to watch your back. Fortunately you both were at your vehicle where your weapon was accessible. Do I understand correctly that you were not armed otherwise?

As BikerRN said, you can work out a CCW compromise if your wardrobe doesn't permit carrying your full-size weapon. First option is acquire an acceptable pocket handgun, such as a J-frame revolver or a semi, such as a P3-AT. Second option is change your wardrobe. Even if your wearing shorts and a t-shirt, you can still effectively conceal a larger weapon with an over-garment, such as an unbuttoned short-sleave shirt. That's my typical dress during warm months in South Texas. Come to think of it, most months in South Texas are warm.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

This is great news!

Damn, when did Orlando get so bad with crime?

I grew up there for part of my childhood (from 8-13) and it seemed like a nice place then.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Orlando had the largest increase in violent crimes in the _country_ in '06 I believe. Just click through a few of these: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...se&btnG=Search

All it takes is one time and their a believer. Steve48

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Glad that worked out. Glad she is at-the-ready.

I think that what you described is "condition Orange," though; condition Yellow is "relaxed awareness." You had an identified possible threat. If you'd had to act, that would've been Red. Black if you fired.

Somewhat similar situation happened to me with my gal. We went to the gas station for some smokes, it was her car so she was driving and I had shotgun. She insists on getting the smokes while I wait, so I said, "Okay". Well, the way back to the car, I noticed that she noticed something or somebody behind and left of the car. I look over and there is the "grungy" guy approaching her. I get out and pull out my knife (that Gerber "skeleton" pocket knife, its light and SHARP) judging on the the way he was walking towards her. He looks surprised to see me and backs off saying, "hey man, I am sorry, I was just asking for change". I told him we didn't have any and he walked away. Without even looking down, my GF asks me with a confident smile, you had your pocket knife out, don't ya? I giggled and said, "yeah".

me
    I have a P3AT I can slip in my pocket and have my father ask where I am carrying... He never asks am I, Just where and or what.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

he's a Dodge guy but "wants to trade in his truck..".

He is I'll for sure ...
    Ram's Rule
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

My wife was born in NYC and never was exposed to guns until she married me. She likes to shoot our 22 but is not a gun nut. She thinks I am paranoid sometimes for carrying everywhere we go.

Anyway, we stopped at a Chinese take out place to get dinner. I go in and order and sit in a booth by the cashiers position waiting for my food. I always sit so that I can view the entry door if possible. I noticed a 20 something come into the place wearing a long black leather overcoat. Wouldn't have been a big deal except it was 80 degrees outside. I went to full alert and stayed that way until I got back to our truck. The wife said she saw the guy in the leather coat go in and was waiting for my gun shots to start dialing 911. After 38 years she's catching on; I'm really proud of her for noticing what was very out of place on that day. Situational awareness is everything!!
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Links