Summer Carry Oops situation

This is a discussion on Summer Carry Oops situation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wouldn't bet on stopping a pit with a handgun in attack mode. A 12 gauge with #4 buck maybe. I worked with some excellent ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Carry Oops situation

I wouldn't bet on stopping a pit with a handgun in attack mode. A 12 gauge with #4 buck maybe. I worked with some excellent pits and the amount of damage they can absorb is nothing short of amazing. Only a head or spine shot on a small fast moving target (in the middle of an adrenaline rush) might do it, and they have thick skulls!

As an owner you ALWAYS restrain any potentially dangerous dog with unknown people, no matter his previous history. What we need is more owner training......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I wouldn't bet on stopping a pit with a handgun in attack mode. A 12 gauge with #4 buck maybe. I worked with some excellent pits and the amount of damage they can absorb is nothing short of amazing. Only a head or spine shot on a small fast moving target (in the middle of an adrenaline rush) might do it, and they have thick skulls!

As an owner you ALWAYS restrain any potentially dangerous dog with unknown people, no matter his previous history. What we need is more owner training......
    +1

as another service industry professional, the words i haveta admit i hate the most from a homeowner are "dont worry, he's friendly"

Pepper spray is most effective on dogs. You might stil get bit by the dog trying to disable him with a handgun and god knows where your rounds will go because in that surprise situation with an animal that fast it would be hard to be "aware of your surroundings and backstop" leaving you liable. Pepper spray hits the animals ultra sensitive sniffer and stops them in their tracks. I have seen it time and time again, even when tested on K-9 trained animals.

I would get all of your employees a can of pepper spray for situations just like this.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    A pit bull can kill you.
    Just a side note. ANY DOG CAN KILL YOU. I hate it when people put bad wraps on Pits, Rotts, Dobermans, or any dog breed in particular for that matter. Dogs are a result of their upbringing, their surroundings, and how they are treated throughout life. ANY DOG can be a "bad" dog. The media has built up pit bulls to be insane, illogical attacking machines that only know how to attack and will attack at any given time without provocation. I am certainly not saying that the previous statement will never occur, as it does from time to time. But Pits are not to blame for the behavior label that is put on them. I do not personally own a Pit, but these dogs can be just as docile and gentle, or as aggressive and insane as ANY other breed of dog. If you cant tell I am certainly a dog lover to the core. Im not saying any of this to protect the dog that started this post, because he could have been shot, and rightfully so. But I would personally like to replace all the instances of "Pit bull" in these posts with "dog". Yes, it was a pit that rushed the pest guy, but it could have been any dog that reacted that way.

This has no real relation to this post, but I wanted to speak my mind about it. My GF has a pit that is the most gentle, docile animal I have ever seen in my life. Her nephews try to ride this dog like a horse, they pull his ears, they open his mouth and stick crap inside his mouth, they sit beside (Sometimes partially on) him, they use him as a pillow... etc. He never bats an eye at them for it. The dog has never been trained to "be nice" or had any formal training besides sit, stay, come, and NO. He naturally seems to keep an eye on the children when they are around him. I wont continue to rant about my GF's dog, but I just wanted to let everyone reading this know... its not the BREED, its the DOG.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little rant. I decided to add a couple photos of my dogs just because I love em a lot! Red female Doberman and a Male German short-haired pointer (bird dog).... Carry on!

N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    As far as I'm concerned, the problem with Pit Bulls is not the breed of the dog, but the breed of the owner.

This is nothing new. Hairballs have always chosed whatever Evil Mean Nasty Killer Dog is in vogue at the time. Dobermans, Rottweilers, English Bulldogs....

They adopt the dog, they "train" it, they neglect or abuse it, and the dog adopts their attitude.

Assistant Administrator
    FLguy - rant accepted ........ but please folks we recently had two threads with ''Pit battles" which got closed.

Discuss defensive techniques by all means but puleeez ........ no more good Pit/bad Pit ....... it gets old and opinion will always vary - widely!!!

Discuss defense - but try to leave breeds out much as possible from an in depth POV. Thx.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The reason for my post was more about being prepared and the crap that can happen when you're not- rather than a "bad dog" post. I'm a dog guy and get along with most. The fact of the matter is that it was a Pit- so I stated so. I agree that most dogs could do real damage. So dog guys- don't be offended!

I'd rather be talking about a situation that involved a dog in a back yard than one that involved a gansta at the 7-11.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I work for the phone company so I am fully aware of how many owners leave their dogs out back for me.

I am not allowed to carry on the job but if I could I wouldn't shoot a customer's dog on their property. I have to agree with the pepper spray...that's what we carry and there is no dog alive that will take a shot of that stuff in the eyes. We had a tech in Florida spray a pit coming through a fence and that dog ran as fast as it could the other way when it got hit. The owner filed a lawsuit against us and settled out of court. I can't imagine the settlement had he killed it.

My apologies. I haven't read any of the other posts that were breed specific. Sorry everyone, I'm just a dog lover.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    We had a tech in Florida spray a pit coming through a fence and that dog ran as fast as it could the other way when it got hit. The owner filed a lawsuit against us and settled out of court. I can't imagine the settlement had he killed it.
    Thats such a crock. *Technically* the service person has more right to be in the Right-of-Way than the Dog or the owner. I hope the tech still has his job.

Still has his job...the company isn't too worried about us protecting ourselves.

Judges on the other hand.............

Sounds like you have a charmed life. It's dog owners like that who are negelant and don't keep this kind of dog chained up when service people are working on their property. I've run into this problem a couple of times myself and it's scary. I would carry pepper spray.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post
    For this situation it sounds like the homeowner should be shot...not the dog. He should have told you the dog was back there or put him in a kennel or something. I'm sorry...but a big dog in the backyard is doing his job if someone he is not familiar with comes into the yard and he chases the "intruder" out. I don't see what the dog did wrong here.

I would think if you shot a dog that was behind a gated fence in HIS backyard, that you would have a tough time being "in the right" there.

< flamesuit on >
    The dog was doing his job maybe, but the owner knew the disposition of the dog and knew it was back there. If it takes shooting the dog to keep from being ripped to shreds, so be it. Its the owners fault.

running and getting away was the right thing to do in this particular situation, only because AFTER the fact, we know you ran fast enough, didnt fall, the gate wasnt locked, and you were able to close it in time....

truth of the matter is, however, turning your back on a dog is quite possibly, and usually, the worst thing you can do to deter its aggression.....

imagine if there were holes in the yard from a digger (dog that likes to dig), or toys, or some other obstacle, or twisted ankle, or 1000 other possibilities that wouldve made most people say "why did you run? you KNOW that only eggs them on, smell of fear and all that...."

im VERY happy this turned out as well as it did, but what about a scenario where the dog actually bites you?

out come the "well, SHOOT it!!" posts, but lets throw in dog owner/resident is close, raising concern for line of fire. a dog fight is chaotic.

OC, at that close, once its on you, isnt really as practical as you'd think.

the only real solution i've ever found, and i've been in a few, is actually man-handling the canine. im not suggesting this, but its something you should start thinking and prepping for.

rabies innoculations arent fun, but theyre not as bad as they say they are, and they get easier and easier to take....*wince*

PM
    The dog was simply defending the "pack" and the "pack's" ground. The owner did not do his job; removing the dog from the line of fire (pun intended sort of)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links