Summer Carry Oops situation - Page 3

Summer Carry Oops situation

This is a discussion on Summer Carry Oops situation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by briansmech truth of the matter is, however, turning your back on a dog is quite possibly, and usually, the worst thing you ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Summer Carry Oops situation

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    truth of the matter is, however, turning your back on a dog is quite possibly, and usually, the worst thing you can do to deter its aggression.....

the only real solution i've ever found, and i've been in a few, is actually man-handling the canine. im not suggesting this, but its something you should start thinking and prepping for.
    I know giving your back is the wrong thing with any predator. There wasn't time to think- just act! I knew I had a good head start.

The dog was full grown and had a head like a big caneloupe! I really didnt want to face it and get bitten. I'm trained with a knife and quick- but I think I'd still get chomped.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I no longer do, but when I did work for a service company, I always carried pepper spray, and sometimes a claw hammer when around strange animals.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Sounds like you have a charmed life. It's dog owners like that who are negelant and don't keep this kind of dog chained up when service people are working on their property. I've run into this problem a couple of times myself and it's scary. I would carry pepper spray.
    "keep this kind of dog chained up"
    what kind of dog are we talking about?
    the kind with fur,hair and a tail?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    You cannot argue, "but your owner says you are really nice" with an attacking dog.

I would work that into my conversation with the owner after the incident.

Owner: "But he's really a nice, harmless dog!"

Me: "Oh, is that what I should tell him as he's attacking me? 'But your owner tells me you're a nice, harmless dog and would never do what you're actually doing at this very moment!' "

I'd make it sound as sarcastic as possible, to let the idiot owner know that I don't for a second give a crap that he thinks his vicious dog is just a harmless sweetiepie.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    I no longer do, but when I did work for a service company, I always carried pepper spray, and sometimes a claw hammer when around strange animals.

The sucky thing is, I feel sullen confidence that the only way to protect yourself from later liability for harming the animal is to incur a bite wound or two prior to dispatching the dog with hammer, gun or what have you.

On the plus side, you'll have a much more compelling civil case against the owner, and it'll be clear that you did not overreact.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Two of the guys I shoot with love their Milt Sparks Vera Max 2 holster. You can get Kydex clips, and your shirt will tuck in nicely. As long as your gun is not a double stack.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

The bad thing about dog attacks, especially with the more aggressive and larger breeds is that it is entirely possible that their first attack on a human can be a fatal attack. It doesn't take long for an aggressive dog to get the best of you.

I understand OC spray is very effective against dogs and even bears due to their highly sensitive sense of smell. It also has the least amount of liability for the defender. Still if you don't have OC spray I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a dog who was about to attack.

I am a dog lover and absolutely hate the thought of destroying a dog for no good reason and feel that before I would actually shoot, I would quite possibly be in the midst of the attack and more than likely would end up being at the very least already bit. Of course that would help defray most liability for having to shoot the dog.

Using OC spray allows you to employ it before the dog actually attacks and bites you thereby lessening your liabilty or having an angry owner mad because you shot his dog before he actually attacked you. And also it saves you from actually having to kill an animal that may not have been necessary.

Not sure if that makes sense or not... JMHO
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I carry with a round in the chamber on my Glock and my Kel-Tek. Both have stiff enough triggers I'm not worried about it. The Kel-Tek is perfect for sticking in the front pocket of your shorts...
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links