Summer Carry Oops situation

This is a discussion on Summer Carry Oops situation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I am an Entomologist and run a pest control company. Currently we're short handed so I have been running a route, and during ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello all. I am an Entomologist and run a pest control company. Currently we're short handed so I have been running a route, and during the day have my golf or button up shirt tucked in to look professional- so the gun has stayed in my vehicle during the work day.

Wednesday of this week I was working in a upscale neighborhood and did not have my gun on me. I checked in with the homeowner who said he was glad for the service because he had a large ant problem and asked me to be thorough on the rear of the house.

I entered the gated back yard and worked my way around the deck when a full grown Pit Bull came out of the house and rushed me. I pivoted 90 degrees and bolted for the gate. I heard the dog closing and knew I had a tactical knife, but I was better off just getting out. I cleared the gate and slammed it into the dogs face physically pushing him back into the yard to get it closed. I imediately had the shakes from adreniline (never experienced that before) I pulled my G23 from the truck and waited to see if he was going to get over the fence (he was lunging and trying to get to me.)

I seriously concidered shooting the dog on the spot, but my mind kept playing the legal or P.R. mess that would create. So I holstered my gun and had a serious heart to heart with the homeowner about his neglegence.

If I had my weapon on- the dog would have died. I didn't, so I ran. All in all it worked out, but If I would have slipped or if it was another 10feet- I would have been bit- maybe seriously, without a gun.

I write and share this experience for a few reasons:
    1. Be armed and aware. I am a hunter and very aware of my surroundings. That was the farthest thing from my mind- but it happened, and I was unarmed.

2. Carry with one in the pipe. "Cocked & Locked"- The adrenal shakes had me so bad- I don't know if I could have racked the slide to chamber a round.

3. I seriously need a way to carry concealed even in the hot weather. Maybe a pocket gun, maybe a different rig to carry with shirt tucked in.

Thanks for reading- sorry for the long post.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Glad you're OK. I had a wierd time with the biggest German shepherd I've ever seen on Tuesday. Luckily he liked me and turned into a cream puff.

Consider a J-frame or a small auto and an ankle holster or chest rig to wear under your shirt. (Not as good, since you need to keep it tucked in and you're not wearing a button-front, but it's an option.) Or wear a fanny pack if it fits in with your professional requirements... might look less odd on you than on most of the rest of us, esp. if you put a company logo patch on it or something.

Personally, I tried a 'tuckable' with my J-frame and it still looked odd on me, but that's another way to go if it's your thing. I'm just bony in the hips, so I really need a cover garment if I'm carrying on my waist.

Defiantly look into tuckables...I have found Tuckers "Answer" to be the most comfortable holster I have worn. I agree that the first step is carrying at all times, that you are legally allowed to, unfortunately BG's don't play by the same rules.

Good luck and stay safe.

I would think a can of pepper spray would be a good alternative in a situation like this. A lot mailmen are carrying OC now.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I carry with a Tucker Gunleather IWB Tucakable rig. I have 3 for 3 different size guns and they are the best in my opinion.

I am with you in that attacking dogs get shot as far as I am concerned. A pit bull can kill you. You always get, "he's really friendly" from the owners. I'm not, so an attacking dog is going down if I can manage it.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    You always get, "he's really friendly" from the owners. I'm not, so an attacking dog is going down if I can manage it.
    That's so funny because it was the first thing out of the owners mouth! I asked him if the dog was friendly before or after ripping the calf muscle from a persons leg.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

For this situation it sounds like the homeowner should be shot...not the dog. He should have told you the dog was back there or put him in a kennel or something. I'm sorry...but a big dog in the backyard is doing his job if someone he is not familiar with comes into the yard and he chases the "intruder" out. I don't see what the dog did wrong here.

I would think if you shot a dog that was behind a gated fence in HIS backyard, that you would have a tough time being "in the right" there.

< flamesuit on >
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

Kylebec had the owners permission to be in the back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post
    For this situation it sounds like the homeowner should be shot...not the dog. He should have told you the dog was back there or put him in a kennel or something. I'm sorry...but a big dog in the backyard is doing his job if someone he is not familiar with comes into the yard and he chases the "intruder" out. I don't see what the dog did wrong here.

I would think if you shot a dog that was behind a gated fence in HIS backyard, that you would have a tough time being "in the right" there.

< flamesuit on >
    He has a right to expect it to be safe from land mines, booby traps, and predatory pets even if they are doing what they were trained to do. If a stray bear were to wander into the yard and attack him that would be a different story. True the dog does not know right from wrong but the owner does and is expected to act accordingly on behalf of the dog. You cannot argue, "but your owner says you are really nice" with an attacking dog.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; May 18th, 2007 at 03:10 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I sure hope the invoice was adjusted for hazardous duty!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    First of all let me say that I am glad you are ok. This could have been really bad. I would rather read this post then the one about how you got maimed by a dog because you were unarmed.

Actually it sounds like you did the right thing by retreating.

I would wager that the dog would have gotten you before you could draw from a tucked IWB rig and take a shot at him. Did you have anything in your hands that you would have had to drop before you could draw? Not only that, but you would have had to hit him with the first shot in a critical area to stop him.

An angry dog can definitely shake you up. They close fast on you and they are quite intimidating. Once these dogs get get going they are hard to stop.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

3. I seriously need a way to carry concealed even in the hot weather. Maybe a pocket gun, maybe a different rig to carry with shirt tucked in.
    I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and carry a full sized gun with out much of a problem.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

As for your situation I am glad you came out alright. And I do think it was a good thing you did not shoot the dog, even if you were in the right, it would have been a huge hassle. IMO
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post

< flamesuit on >
    The dog was doing his job, but the homeowner did not do his. Kyle was invited to the backyard to perform a service wanted by the homeowner, so he was not an "intruder". Shooting the dog would have not done well for his company PR, but it would have been justifiable.

FWIW a J frame or PM9 vanishes in a decent pocket holster when wearing docker type or uniform pants.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glad everything worked out for you and the dog. The owner is the one who needs an "adjustment."

A good pepper spray would work well in this type of case as suggested earlier. Another option is a Smartcarry. They have a website that give a pretty good explanation and a lot of reviews. I got one about 2 months ago and love it for those situations where you need deep cover, and not nearly as uncomfortable as one might think. Could also offer some protection from various objects damaging the jewels. May not be quite as fast as some, but not as bad as you might think. Certainly better than throwing rocks.
    Last edited by PcMakr; May 18th, 2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Add additional comment.

I dunno...I wouldn't count for a split second on OC spray deterring a charging pit bull. Hell, I wouldn't count on anything less than several gunshots stopping one. Plus, even if you hit him with the spray, it's just going to get all over you when he makes contact with you. He'll definitely close the distance before the OC starts taking effect.

I'm not against OC per se--just doesn't seem right for this situation.

I have no doubt that I could have drawn and hit a vital area- IF I was untucked at the time... and the 165gr GoldenSabers should stop it.

Now if I was carrying in deep concealment- I'm not sure. Also- If I had a smaller caliber- (like a 380) I'm not sure that would do it.

This is only the second time in 15 years this has happened with a dog. So I'm not all torn up about defense from Fido. Ironically- I read and added comment to the Dog thread last week or so.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links