? for the New people here

This is a discussion on ? for the New people here within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kavity I am a student at Virginia Tech that was spurred to get my CHP because of the events. Kavity, I think ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ? for the New people here

me
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I am a student at Virginia Tech that was spurred to get my CHP because of the events.
    Kavity,

I think I speek for all here when I say we are sorry about your loss. I commend you for in the face of others on your campus getting your permit as I know how annoying others on a college campus can be about this. If any discussions about VT on this site have offeneded you we hop you will accept this apology as we do not want to down play tohe loss of your friends who, if they are anything like my professors and friends, are great people and we suffer the loss of not getting to know them.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I've had my permit for a while now, 2yrs, but the VT shooting has caused me to carry my weapon EVERYWHERE I go. It also caused a depletion of my bank account due to buying another gun!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I am a student at Virginia Tech that was spurred to get my CHP because of the events.
    Welcome kavity... leadership is definately needed in your area and it sounds like VT has a strong leader in you.

Stay safe!
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

I applied on the day of the VaTech shooting, actually, now that I think about it. I remember watching it on TV in the sheriff's department while I waited. But no, that wasn't the reason I got one. There was no particular event that prompted me to get one, I've just been immersed in gun culture for my entire life and my own beliefs and convictions lead to the natural conclusion of carrying, so as soon as I turned 21 I applied.

I moved to FL about a year and a half ago, from NY, and I knew I would eventually apply for CCW, but the VT incident definitely provoked me to speed up the process a bit.

I was already in process, had finally found a CCW class that worked with my schedule. It definitely reinforced my decision and made me kick myself for not doing it sooner.
    As others have said it also makes me rethink sometime carry vs all the time carry.

I worked at State prison and now a county Jail
    One day I just looked around me !
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

I've had mine for a while. 9/11 was a wake up call, then just reading the morning newspaper about home invasions, car jackings, etc. happening with more regularity. The world has changed, and we all need to take an active roll in the safety and protection of those we love. "Be prepared."
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

Hey Kavity you seen this site yet?

http://concealedcampus.org/

I empathize with your situation.

On a lighter note, congrats on your XD!

VA tech only helped push my parents in understanding why I carry.

I actually applied for mine in Manassas 3 weeks ago. I have wanted to get my CC for about a year now. Mostly because of my business opening but also for personal protection. But had to wait till April when I turned 21. And then well, VT happened and my parents no longer argued against me carrying.

My wife and I have been talking about if for a long time and the mall shooting in Salt Lake City, Utah gave us a kick in the pants and the resolve to get er done. We just received our permits this last week and have been training almost weekly during the wait. We continue the training least anyone misunderstand that.

VT occurred after we had applied and just added another strong vote as to the need.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

Might I recommend to our (to be) newly minted VA CHP holders to join the Virginia Citizens Defense League (www.vcdl.org)...$20/year is a good deal.

Also--make sure the county you are in has your permit to you in 45 days or less. If on Day 45 you do not have your permit in hand--they are to issue you a permit--regardless if a background check has been completed by the local PD/SO.

H. If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308)

If you are told to come in for an interview by the PD/SO or the judge before the permit is signed--that is a "no-go"--it is not permitted/allowed by law for LE or the judge to interview anyone. Don't worry about upsetting the apple cart or "get along" to get your permit--these things are not permitted by the VA code. Local county procedures are not good enough reason to hold up your permit, as the Commonwealth has pre-emption over local municipalities (i.e. the county/town/city cannot be more stringent than the Commonwealth's laws)

If you do run into problems, contact the VCDL

I've been thinking about getting mine for some time now, and although the VA Tech incident helped make the decision, there have been some random violence incidents around here too that have also played a factor as well.

I am a student at Virginia Tech that was spurred to get my CHP because of the events. Well, I wouldn't necessarily say "because" of the events because I had been thinking about it since I turned 21, but the event made me decide to get it sooner than later.

I have taken some heat from people that don't really understand the need to protect yourself. I've been called a "reactionary" and people have gone so far as saying "you are letting Cho win". :shrug: The fact of the matter is that I may never ever be in a situation like that again, BUT if I was...wouldn't it be pretty stupid not to be prepared? Talk about not learning from past mistakes. Sure you can't predict or stop a crazy person from doing something crazy-but you can do your part to protect yourself (and your friends/family).

I knew 5 people that died in the attacks on the 16th. 3 of them were really good friends including my German professor Herr Bishop. I had had him for 2 years. I had been in THAT room listening to THAT lecture with THAT professor just last semester. If Cho decided to be retarded a semester earlier-I may have been among the 32. I had the opportunity to talk to Tray and Derrick (2 of the 4 survivors of the German class) about how it all went down and their thoughts. Neither of them blamed guns and Tray mentioned that he wouldn't mind if VT got rid of the gun-free zone restriction. (Nor would I)

Not having a "gun free zone" may not have helped at all, but as long as there is a *chance* to save lives then why not? The only people that are going to listen to a "gun free zone" restriction are people that don't intend to harm anyone.

I feel like I am typing all of this "stream of consciousness" style and for that I apologize. My permit is being processed atm and I am in the process of reading up, taking courses, and practicing with my new Springfield XD9 Service model :). I stumbled across this site in the process. I have been reading it for a couple hours now and there is some pretty solid advice in here.

Anyway thats my 2 cents (all jumbled together in there;) )

Kavity... Welcome to the Forum and hope you decide to stay around.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I was in process waiting for my CCW class date when VT happened.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links