Defensive Carry banner

? for the New people here

4K views 36 replies 32 participants last post by  kyccw 
#1 ·
Anybody get there permit or is in process of getting there permit due to VA-TECH? I see alot more people saying their permits are arriving, and alot of them are fairly new members.

#2 ·
I didn't get mine specifically because of VA-Tech.. but, by coincidence.. thats the day that I turned in my application. I'm still waiting for my sheriff's office to finish processing my app.

It would be interesting, I think, to see if the application numbers spiked in the week or two following VA-Tech.

#4 ·
The VT shootings made a considerable amount of teachers I work with desire CCW’s. As covered in other threads here many believe educators should have the choice. My colleagues that have permits cannot legally carry at work. Those that felt compelled and currently in the process of getting theirs will not be able to either unless the policies are changed.

I spend half my time on campus. Sure would feel better with a different perspective and a pistol.

#31 ·
The VT shootings made a considerable amount of teachers I work with desire CCW’s. As covered in other threads here many believe educators should have the choice. My colleagues that have permits cannot legally carry at work. Those that felt compelled and currently in the process of getting theirs will not be able to either unless the policies are changed.

I spend half my time on campus. Sure would feel better with a different perspective and a pistol.
Send them to Utah, I'm sure there is a place for them.

#5 ·
I had been thinking about this for a couple of years.
VT made me make the final decision.

I don't want to be anywhere and unprepared any more.

#6 ·
What tipped me was the murder of a local police officer 1 day after the 1 yr anniversary memorial for another police officer. W

#7 ·
I have been planning to get one for awhile due to some security issues involving my family...however both my Father in Law and my wife were directly affected by the VT shooting. I even think my Mother in Law is considering it, however she has yet to fire gun in her life. So that maybe should wait a bit.

#8 ·
I've been contemplating it for a long time. I had a stroke on Easter, the limited abilty defend myself hand to hand now combined with the VT shooting shortly after put a fire under my rear.

#11 ·
What's a little ironic, for me anyway, is that my wife has been against my carrying a concealed weapon. She's basically against guns. When V Tech happened she thought I was going to add that to my "reasons" or use it as an example. Never happened.
I simply told her that the world was drowning in examples and didn't need more.

#13 ·
I am a student at Virginia Tech that was spurred to get my CHP because of the events. Well, I wouldn't necessarily say "because" of the events because I had been thinking about it since I turned 21, but the event made me decide to get it sooner than later.

I have taken some heat from people that don't really understand the need to protect yourself. I've been called a "reactionary" and people have gone so far as saying "you are letting Cho win". :shrug: The fact of the matter is that I may never ever be in a situation like that again, BUT if I was...wouldn't it be pretty stupid not to be prepared? Talk about not learning from past mistakes. Sure you can't predict or stop a crazy person from doing something crazy-but you can do your part to protect yourself (and your friends/family).

I knew 5 people that died in the attacks on the 16th. 3 of them were really good friends including my German professor Herr Bishop. I had had him for 2 years. I had been in THAT room listening to THAT lecture with THAT professor just last semester. If Cho decided to be retarded a semester earlier-I may have been among the 32. I had the opportunity to talk to Tray and Derrick (2 of the 4 survivors of the German class) about how it all went down and their thoughts. Neither of them blamed guns and Tray mentioned that he wouldn't mind if VT got rid of the gun-free zone restriction. (Nor would I)

Not having a "gun free zone" may not have helped at all, but as long as there is a *chance* to save lives then why not? The only people that are going to listen to a "gun free zone" restriction are people that don't intend to harm anyone.

I feel like I am typing all of this "stream of consciousness" style and for that I apologize. My permit is being processed atm and I am in the process of reading up, taking courses, and practicing with my new Springfield XD9 Service model :). I stumbled across this site in the process. I have been reading it for a couple hours now and there is some pretty solid advice in here.

Anyway thats my 2 cents (all jumbled together in there;) )

#16 ·
I am a student at Virginia Tech that was spurred to get my CHP because of the events.
Kavity,

I think I speek for all here when I say we are sorry about your loss. I commend you for in the face of others on your campus getting your permit as I know how annoying others on a college campus can be about this. If any discussions about VT on this site have offeneded you we hop you will accept this apology as we do not want to down play tohe loss of your friends who, if they are anything like my professors and friends, are great people and we suffer the loss of not getting to know them.

#14 ·
I purchased my first firearm, not because I wanted one, but because it was my right and wanted to exercise it. The same thing applied to me obtaining my CCW. (As well as voting, but that's another sore spot with me, with regards to those who don't) It's my right to do so and not only that, it's a card (as far as I'm concerned) that says "I have been" and "will continue to be" on the right side of the law and forever vigilant with regards to my life and those lives around me.

I look at ALL CCW holders as PREPARED, model, respectable, law abiding citizens. And I thank God for each and every one of them!

Sadly, it shouldn't take a VA Tech to open peoples eyes up. The loss of one life unnecessarily is too great a payment for a...wake up call.

#15 ·
I planned on getting my CCDW right after a friend who was open carrying just like I did for several years was jumped and robbed of his dad's gun in a public restroom. I know bad things happen but to attack an armed man, even if he is at a urinal is just bizarre to me. Now I want to have the surprize edge for any problems.

#17 ·
I've had my permit for a while now, 2yrs, but the VT shooting has caused me to carry my weapon EVERYWHERE I go. It also caused a depletion of my bank account due to buying another gun!:hand10:

#19 ·
I applied on the day of the VaTech shooting, actually, now that I think about it. I remember watching it on TV in the sheriff's department while I waited. But no, that wasn't the reason I got one. There was no particular event that prompted me to get one, I've just been immersed in gun culture for my entire life and my own beliefs and convictions lead to the natural conclusion of carrying, so as soon as I turned 21 I applied.

#23 ·
I've had mine for a while. 9/11 was a wake up call, then just reading the morning newspaper about home invasions, car jackings, etc. happening with more regularity. The world has changed, and we all need to take an active roll in the safety and protection of those we love. "Be prepared."

#25 ·
VA tech only helped push my parents in understanding why I carry.

I actually applied for mine in Manassas 3 weeks ago. I have wanted to get my CC for about a year now. Mostly because of my business opening but also for personal protection. But had to wait till April when I turned 21. And then well, VT happened and my parents no longer argued against me carrying.

#26 ·
My wife and I have been talking about if for a long time and the mall shooting in Salt Lake City, Utah gave us a kick in the pants and the resolve to get er done. We just received our permits this last week and have been training almost weekly during the wait. We continue the training least anyone misunderstand that.

VT occurred after we had applied and just added another strong vote as to the need.

#27 ·
Might I recommend to our (to be) newly minted VA CHP holders to join the Virginia Citizens Defense League (www.vcdl.org)...$20/year is a good deal.

Also--make sure the county you are in has your permit to you in 45 days or less. If on Day 45 you do not have your permit in hand--they are to issue you a permit--regardless if a background check has been completed by the local PD/SO.

H. If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308)

If you are told to come in for an interview by the PD/SO or the judge before the permit is signed--that is a "no-go"--it is not permitted/allowed by law for LE or the judge to interview anyone. Don't worry about upsetting the apple cart or "get along" to get your permit--these things are not permitted by the VA code. Local county procedures are not good enough reason to hold up your permit, as the Commonwealth has pre-emption over local municipalities (i.e. the county/town/city cannot be more stringent than the Commonwealth's laws)

If you do run into problems, contact the VCDL

#28 ·
I've been thinking about getting mine for some time now, and although the VA Tech incident helped make the decision, there have been some random violence incidents around here too that have also played a factor as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.