? for the New people here

This is a discussion on ? for the New people here within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody get there permit or is in process of getting there permit due to VA-TECH? I see alot more people saying their permits are arriving, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Anybody get there permit or is in process of getting there permit due to VA-TECH? I see alot more people saying their permits are arriving, and alot of them are fairly new members.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I didn't get mine specifically because of VA-Tech.. but, by coincidence.. thats the day that I turned in my application. I'm still waiting for my sheriff's office to finish processing my app.

It would be interesting, I think, to see if the application numbers spiked in the week or two following VA-Tech.

While I had been thinking about it for a while, it wasn't the VA-Tech shooting itself that pushed me to get mine so much as the story I read about the previous University shooting in Virginia in the aftermath of the incident.

http://donklephant.com/2007/04/17/pr...rmed-citizens/

The VT shootings made a considerable amount of teachers I work with desire CCW’s. As covered in other threads here many believe educators should have the choice. My colleagues that have permits cannot legally carry at work. Those that felt compelled and currently in the process of getting theirs will not be able to either unless the policies are changed.

I spend half my time on campus. Sure would feel better with a different perspective and a pistol.

I had been thinking about this for a couple of years.
    VT made me make the final decision.

I don't want to be anywhere and unprepared any more.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    What tipped me was the murder of a local police officer 1 day after the 1 yr anniversary memorial for another police officer. W
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I have been planning to get one for awhile due to some security issues involving my family...however both my Father in Law and my wife were directly affected by the VT shooting. I even think my Mother in Law is considering it, however she has yet to fire gun in her life. So that maybe should wait a bit.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I've been contemplating it for a long time. I had a stroke on Easter, the limited abilty defend myself hand to hand now combined with the VT shooting shortly after put a fire under my rear.

I had decided to carry prior to V Tech and was active in the process of looking at guns, studying the subject etc. Horrible tragedy and I'm sure it has or will motivate some to carry or consider it. My decision was locked in stone, before that disaster.

I've considered it for years, and like Zigmun have been studying for a couple of months and had commitmented to get my permit before the V Tech incident.

What's a little ironic, for me anyway, is that my wife has been against my carrying a concealed weapon. She's basically against guns. When V Tech happened she thought I was going to add that to my "reasons" or use it as an example. Never happened.
    I simply told her that the world was drowning in examples and didn't need more.

I was already signed up for a class before VT happened. Experiences in my past influenced the decision more than VT did. Once I returned to the "free" part of the country where it was possible to defend myself, I moved to do so.

I am a student at Virginia Tech that was spurred to get my CHP because of the events. Well, I wouldn't necessarily say "because" of the events because I had been thinking about it since I turned 21, but the event made me decide to get it sooner than later.

I have taken some heat from people that don't really understand the need to protect yourself. I've been called a "reactionary" and people have gone so far as saying "you are letting Cho win". :shrug: The fact of the matter is that I may never ever be in a situation like that again, BUT if I was...wouldn't it be pretty stupid not to be prepared? Talk about not learning from past mistakes. Sure you can't predict or stop a crazy person from doing something crazy-but you can do your part to protect yourself (and your friends/family).

I knew 5 people that died in the attacks on the 16th. 3 of them were really good friends including my German professor Herr Bishop. I had had him for 2 years. I had been in THAT room listening to THAT lecture with THAT professor just last semester. If Cho decided to be retarded a semester earlier-I may have been among the 32. I had the opportunity to talk to Tray and Derrick (2 of the 4 survivors of the German class) about how it all went down and their thoughts. Neither of them blamed guns and Tray mentioned that he wouldn't mind if VT got rid of the gun-free zone restriction. (Nor would I)

Not having a "gun free zone" may not have helped at all, but as long as there is a *chance* to save lives then why not? The only people that are going to listen to a "gun free zone" restriction are people that don't intend to harm anyone.

I feel like I am typing all of this "stream of consciousness" style and for that I apologize. My permit is being processed atm and I am in the process of reading up, taking courses, and practicing with my new Springfield XD9 Service model :). I stumbled across this site in the process. I have been reading it for a couple hours now and there is some pretty solid advice in here.

Anyway thats my 2 cents (all jumbled together in there;) )

I purchased my first firearm, not because I wanted one, but because it was my right and wanted to exercise it. The same thing applied to me obtaining my CCW. (As well as voting, but that's another sore spot with me, with regards to those who don't) It's my right to do so and not only that, it's a card (as far as I'm concerned) that says "I have been" and "will continue to be" on the right side of the law and forever vigilant with regards to my life and those lives around me.

I look at ALL CCW holders as PREPARED, model, respectable, law abiding citizens. And I thank God for each and every one of them!

Sadly, it shouldn't take a VA Tech to open peoples eyes up. The loss of one life unnecessarily is too great a payment for a...wake up call.
    John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

If the guns kill then pencils misspell words!

I planned on getting my CCDW right after a friend who was open carrying just like I did for several years was jumped and robbed of his dad's gun in a public restroom. I know bad things happen but to attack an armed man, even if he is at a urinal is just bizarre to me. Now I want to have the surprize edge for any problems.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links