How long have you conceal carried and have you ever been ....

This is a discussion on How long have you conceal carried and have you ever been .... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never have had to draw a handgun on anyone in ... let's see ... about 14 years of carrying. Most of you will already know ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long have you conceal carried and have you ever been ....

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Never have had to draw a handgun on anyone in ... let's see ... about 14 years of carrying.

Most of you will already know and understand that a LOT of staying safe is situational awareness. I'm not saying -- by any means -- that those who have had to draw or use their guns failed to remain aware. I'm glad you did, and saved yourself. What I'm saying is that keeping alert can help you avoid areas where you might end up meeting trouble. We'll never know how many times we avoided having to use a gun because we drove the long way around the "bad area," or let someone insult us and walked away.

But we remain ready, for when trouble will not be avoided.

2. Remove Ads

Note: Absolutely not making anything racial out of this as it was just a simple fact of the circumstances.

About 20 years ago, my wife who is caucasian was driving alone about 11pm and pulled to a stop light in the downtown area of a metro city. She worked as a medic in that town and was not unduly afraid most situations, but always used her survival instincts.

While stopped at the light, another vehicle pulled along side with about 4 or 5 black youths. Her window rolled up, she couldn't hear what they were saying but in her mind they were attempting to harass her.

She retrieved her AMT Back-up .380 (which at that moment she felt was woefully inadequate for the given circumstance) and held it below the window in her lap.

Apparently they thought she was 'dissin' them by ignoring them, so one of the men got out of their car next to her. She then raised the pistol in line with the steering wheel and pulled the slide back to chamber a round.

When he saw that she was armed he immediately got back into the car and they blew the stoplight.

She did not report it to the police, but felt she successfully foiled a potentially bad situation.

She never pointed the gun directly at them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Carried since the early 80s leagaly . Both professional and personally I have presented on several occasions over the years , and been in an actual dust up or two . Off the top of my head tho i have never needed to even present a weapon in my personal life . Dont mean i wont need to later today or tomorrow tho.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

me
    This thread is the colsest I have come. I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. At the time I had been carrying for a meer 2 months + days.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=19149
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    She retrieved her AMT Back-up .380 <snip> She then raised the pistol in line with the steering wheel and pulled the slide back to chamber a round.
    Theatrics aside, I hope that she and you both carry with chambered rounds at this point, as anyone carrying a defensive handgun should.

I've been carrying for close to 3 years and never had to even grab the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Theatrics aside, I hope that she and you both carry with chambered rounds at this point, as anyone carrying a defensive handgun should.
    In all actuality there "was a round in the chamber"... What she was actually doing was just pulling the slide back part way in order to "peek check" the chamber in an attempt to convey the message that it was a loaded gun. She didn't actually pull slide fully back as that would have ejected one of her 6 rounds. Five in magazine and one in the chute.

(I wasn't sure if everyone would actually understand that, so I just conveyed that she jacked the slide and chambered a round in the original post)

We have always carried mags to full capacity and one in the chamber although she has changed to a Ruger SP-101 for a larger caliber than the .380 acp.

Definitely tactics have changed and improved over the years. She has developed more vehicle tactics and would now just blow the stoplight and drive to a safer location for a start.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    "Gentleman"??
    I was being a wiseguy

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    She has developed more vehicle tactics and would now just blow the stoplight and drive to a safer location for a start.
    Critters know what to do, then. Instinct kicks in. They'll take it as a challenge and almost certainly follow. Then, you've got a chase on your hands, which can turn just as deadly. I wouldn't assume this is an improvement, necessarily.

While movement in general can be a good thing, when 4-5 young toughs are behind the wheel of a car, all bets are off. Ain't nothin' for certain.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I was being a wiseguy
    Cool. Thanks.

I was just remembering a "Dear Abby" column I read years ago, in which someone reminded her that not everyone should be called "gentleman." The point of the letter was that a person has to exhibit certain behavior and demeanor to be truly a "gentleman," but that the reader was encountering people just using the word to mean, simply, "person." Often it's people who are the furthest thing from gentlemanly who get called that.

Think of all the cops you hear or see quoted, saying things like, "At that point, the gentleman emerged from the vehicle and proceeded to fire seventeen shots at myself and my partner." (Cops like to misuse "myself" a lot, I've noticed -- as do a lot of people. )

"The gentleman had killed his mother and little sister and a neighbor in the domicile, and then the gentleman proceeded to drive his car at a high rate of speed down the highway, endangering many innocent lives." (What is the need for "rate of," anyway? There's no such thing as a "rate of speed." He drove at a high speed. He passed mile markers at a high rate. The two don't combine!)

/grammaredit

VIP Member
    15 years and nope... thank God!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Six years...Nada, Nine, Nope, Never, Not once...hope I never have to...

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Only about 1-1/2 yr. - not even close to needing it yet!!!!

VIP Member
    8 months and no. I can only think of a couple times in my life where I "may have" needed it. Hope that trend continues.

VIP Member
    I've had my license for a little over 2 years, but carried legally while traveling for 9

anyway, I've had to feel the grip on my handgun a couple of times while walking through a parking lot; I'm glad I wasn't forced any further than that. (not a concealed carry thing, but I had to rack one in the mossberg one night when someone was messing with my front door and luckily for all involved they took off)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links