That must have been embarassing...

That must have been embarassing...

This is a discussion on That must have been embarassing... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know you guys shared a very funny thread about accidental "failures to conceal", but have you ever caught someone in the act? Earlier, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That must have been embarassing...

Wink That must have been embarassing...

I know you guys shared a very funny thread about accidental "failures to conceal", but have you ever caught someone in the act?

Earlier, I was feeling a bit peckish and restless and decided that like all good Texans I needed to consume my second bottle of picante sauce for the week. After all it is Monday and I have three more to go to meet quota.

Anyway I'm down at the local Monster Mart standing in line at the Express Lane when lo and behold the gentleman in front of me plops down his 6 pack of Bud Light, and in so doing, he catches his shirt tail on what was unquestionably some flavor of Glock in a slide holster, strong side, OWB.

So he's sitting there, turned sideways, and he's about to turn around and I'm thinking "I gotta say something before someone freaks out..."

Ahem.

Ahem.

"Sir? Sir? Sir!?"

He looks to be about thirty years my senior and looks at me like I am trying to sell him something he doesn't want.

I pat myself at 3 o'clock and suddenly his eyes tell me he is embarassed and doesn't like to admit it.

Not knowing what else to do, I let him straighten his shirt tail and give him the "Okay" signal.

$4.09 later, he's out the door in a hurry.

Have you been in a situation like this? How would you have handled it?

I think it's kind of funny actually since there was no harm done. I suppose he should thank his lucky stars I was the one who noticed and not someone else.

VIP Member
    I saw a guy in a burger joint wearing one of those Pager Pals at 2 o'clock - when he sat down, it rode up to reveal the top part of the actual holster. He was on the other side of the room, and I was too busy stuffing my face. I didn't say anything.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Bit like spotting a guy with zipper down - you just have to do your subtle best to attract attention without cause for alarm - and try and convey the ''message''. Situation permitting.

Not done it yet, telling someone else - but sure did flash my piece bigtime a coupla years ago at gas station when shirt rode up - I was so unaware I guess all onlookers assumed I was - LE or something! No one went ballistic.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Heck, a Pampered Chef Pizza Slicer prints through a leather jacket.

Depends on your locality, I guess- no problems with printing or display here in ID so it's hard to tell sometimes if it's intentional or otherwise as I see legit open carry about as often as I see an accidental exposure.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The way the Fla. law is written is somewhat vague. I review the actual law book with my students and am always asked "what does this or that mean"? In the Fla. statutes (Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms 790.10)it states in part that,"if you have a firearm, and you,in the presence of one or more persons,exhibit the same in a rude,careless,angry,or threatening manner,not in necessary self defense,you are guilty of a first degree misdemeanor." Well---- most of this is understandable but what would the LEO's or judges interpertation of RUDE and/or CARELESS be ?? Are you careless if you allow your shirt to blow up? Or you bend over or fall down and your weapon is exposed if only for a second? I feel(hope) that the judges and the LEO's would use some common sense when handleing these cases. Is this tooooo much to hope for??? If I was a LEO I might ask the person making the complaint to describe the weapon and if they could not then I would______ ??

In Texas, the law basically says if you fail to conceal the gun at any time the use of deadly force is not justified, you've committed a crime.

Oldest daughter worked in the local ER for a year or so. She helped write the hospital and ambulance procedures for dealing with finding a weapon on a patient in an ambulance or the ER. Hospital security would take the weapon, secure it and then turn it over to the patient's family. The only time LEO was notified was in case the weapon was used or the patient was the victum of an assault. If you were injured in a car accident and brought in by ambluance no one need know that you were packing.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    The way the Fla. law is written is somewhat vague. I review the actual law book with my students and am always asked "what does this or that mean"? In the Fla. statutes (Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms 790.10)it states in part that,"if you have a firearm, and you,in the presence of one or more persons,exhibit the same in a rude,careless,angry,or threatening manner,not in necessary self defense,you are guilty of a first degree misdemeanor." Well---- most of this is understandable but what would the LEO's or judges interpertation of RUDE and/or CARELESS be ?? Are you careless if you allow your shirt to blow up? Or you bend over or fall down and your weapon is exposed if only for a second? I feel(hope) that the judges and the LEO's would use some common sense when handleing these cases. Is this tooooo much to hope for??? If I was a LEO I might ask the person making the complaint to describe the weapon and if they could not then I would______ ??
    Exhibition in a legal sense is far different than open carry or accidental display. There may be case law to the contrary (consult your attorney), but exhibition requires intent to display in general usage.

We have a similar statute in Idaho - but it's used in the event of a fight, quarrel, or other incident.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Not feeling like retyping or cut 'n pasting the whole thing. Here's my embarrassing moments from an earlier thread on the same subject:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?p=13918

Hell....I just tell them, "hey buddy, your printin'". Anybody that carries knows what that means.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by pcsutton
    Hell....I just tell them, "hey buddy, your printin'". Anybody that carries knows what that means.
    Sorry, but bein somewhat Neanderthal, livin rural, and not socializing that much, I've not heard that term before. Guess it hasn't made it out my way yet...thanks for the heads-up !!

DC Founder
    If I was in the situation Euc was in I would simply say "Your showing". Unless he was right next to me I would say nothing.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

On a sort of related thread, I had to tell a police lieutenant that he had sometime accidently ejected his magazine and was carrying a single shot pistol without realizing it. When I talked with him again later, he had found it in the driver's seat of his car.
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

In AZ you go from legal,(concealed), to legal,(open). If you brandish, that's differant, but accidentally exposing a secured/holstered firearm, as long as you do have a current CCW permit, is no harm/no foul. If you don't have a CCW permit....carry openly.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links