Illegal to carry long rifle concealed in vehicle?

This is a discussion on Illegal to carry long rifle concealed in vehicle? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by los Correct. The key issue with my inquiry is the "loaded" part. That is, one in the chamber, loaded magazine inserted. Even ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illegal to carry long rifle concealed in vehicle?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Correct. The key issue with my inquiry is the "loaded" part.

That is, one in the chamber, loaded magazine inserted.

Even though the AR-15 will be secured in a Pelican Case in the Trunk.
    That is the issue alright, including some places laying or leaning a loaded long gun on the out side of the vehicle is a no no. At least, it was when I lived in was. state.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    We see lots of them around here hanging in pickup truck windows.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Each person should reade their state laws real carefully. The washington law reads "in or on a motor vehicle". This means that if you get out of your vehicle, load your rifle or shotgun, then lay it accross the hood of your vehicle, you have just broken the law and can be cited with a violation. It has happened.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. It is each persons responsibility to know their states laws or for that matter the laws of the states you may go into with a gun.

It sometimes is a little difficult to find all of the applicable laws of each state, that is waht is so good about this sight, we can ask for help to find them.

Laws aside, it's not a good idea to leave a round in the chamber of most long guns anyway, due to floating firing pins. If you have time to access the rifle, you'll probably have time to cycle the bolt.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

VIP Member
    Correct. The key issue with my inquiry is the "loaded" part.

That is, one in the chamber, loaded magazine inserted.

Even though the AR-15 will be secured in a Pelican Case in the Trunk.
    Texas law does not distinguish on whether a firearm has a loaded mag inserted or round in the chamber or not
    ....that being said, personally I would not keep a round in the chamber of a rifle or shotgun that is being carried in a vehicle
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Not illegal in Texas

Its not illegal to carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle in Texas. Concealed or unconcealed, permit or no permit. You can carry one down the street if you so wish.

HOWEVER, it must not be done in a manner which may cause 'alarm'. So I guess it depends on where.

Everyone in Texas has seen a pickup with a gun rack.

Wow, I'm glad I live in Arizona... We only regulate "deadly weapons" so it applies to all of it. As far as trunk carry, loaded or not, chambered or not, we can carry it in the trunk without a permit. In fact, we can carry in a glove compartment, trunk, even the map compartment on the door without a permit. If we open carry a deadly weapon (e.g. regular gun rack or even a sky/roof mount) there are no restrictions.

As far as me, I have a .223 rifle in my trunk with 100 rounds all loaded into mags. I don't keep it chambered because I figure if I should have time to get to the trunk of my car, I have enough time to pop a mag in and chamber it.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I believe in Kansas the concealed permit is for HANDGUNS and nothing else.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Ohio here, and the gun must be in a compartment not accessable to the driver without exiting the vehicle, the ammunition locked in a seperate compartment.

For me? My SKS is in the trunk, and the stripper clips in a pouch in the glove compartment. My G26 stays in my pocket.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Assume a person has a Concealed Handgun License. Would it be illegal for that person to carry a loaded tactical shotgun or rifle (AR15), secured in a case, in the trunk of the vehicle?

An LEO buddy of mine states that here in Texas, a CHL'd person can carry multiple handguns on his person at one time (I do it all the time), but carrying a loaded Tactical Shotgun or Rifle in the vehicle is illegal.

Make sense?

Not in SC
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

I'm not an LEO but I think your LEO friend is misinformed. In Texas you can carry a loading long gun down the street over your should if you want. Don't get me wrong, you will draw some unwanted LEO attention but there are no laws forbidding loading long guns anywhere in Texas. I've searched high and low and I couldn't find any. If anyone else can find any, please let me know.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

In California you can NOT have a loaded rifle in your car. However you can have an unloaded rifle in your car and the ammo near it, but not attached to it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My thoughts are that you should quit doing / or hanging around with folks/ activity's that will lead to a full vehicle search in the first place , secondly lock the rifle case and make them get a warrant to open it . With that being said IMHO there is NO reason to transport a long gun with a loaded chamber and myself look at the practice as being semi unsafe due to the minimal physical security of most long gun's safetys .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

"If you have a CCW permit it's OK to have a long gun in your vehicle, but only if it's magazine-loaded. No rounds in the chamber allowed."

"No CCW, no magazine or chamber-loaded long guns allowed."

Just be careful not to run afoul of a game warden. OK game law does not permit chamber or magazine loaded guns in vehicles.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Really? I'd never heard that before. I've always assumed that so long as you have a LTCF, you could leave your long guns loaded in your vehicle. It is, after all, a license to carry FIREARMS, not a license to carry handguns.
    PA Defines a FIREARM as a handgun or equivalent.
    ---------------
    http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6102.html

"Firearm."
    Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    ------------------------------------
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links