Ohio CCW folks - your input please?

This is a discussion on Ohio CCW folks - your input please? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I now have my FL permit and am wondering - if I ride up thru PA and cross into OH - what is what re ...

Assistant Administrator

I now have my FL permit and am wondering - if I ride up thru PA and cross into OH - what is what re my carry?? I cannot exactly display the piece on my gas tank!

Any advice, thoughts from OH members, legal eagles - would be appreciated.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

As much a PITA as it is, until the law is changed, this is how I comply. I usually carry IWB with my CTAC, but per the law, this may not be "in plain sight" enough. I keep a second holster in my glove compartment. The holster is a Blackhawk CQC SERPA configured for crossdraw with a paddle attachment on it. When in the vehicle, the the G19 and the CQC ride at 2:00 OWB. Holstered, in plain sight, and quick and easy access to boot. It works for me!

Your gun must either be holstered on your person "in plain sight" (see above), in a locked glove compartment, or in a locked container "in plain sight" (e.g. on passenger seat). IMHO, the most "convenient" is the 2nd holster method as mentioned above. YMMV.
    Gun control is hitting your target.
    -- Amegatek
    Amegatek's Firearms Page

Car or Motorcycle carry

I am taking it from your post you will be on a motorcycle. The LEO Trainer that gave my CCW class addressed this to an MC guy we had in the group. He instructed him that a F.A.G.( fast action gun ) Bag ( fanny pack )was the way to carry on a bike in Ohio you put a tiny little lock through the zipper ends and it complies with our stupid a$$ law. Hey it is better than no CCW by a tiny margin. I personally like a BIG lock I could twist the zipper off or rip it open with if I need the firearm fast but as long as some lock is on the bag it is legal, per LEO trainer or trainers. Hope that answered your question.
    Pat C.

Assistant Administrator
    Yes, in fact I didn't quite emphasize enough - it is bike carry!!

Thx for response. So - ''locked'' fanny pack eh - Aggghhhhh!
    Chris - P95

From packing.org...
    Individuals with a license to carry a concealed handgun may transport a loaded handgun if:The firearm is kept in "plain sight" on the person's body.
    So how about OWB in plain sight, if riding gear might accidentally conceal it go for a "Tactical" thigh holster???? They want plain sight...give 'em plain sight

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - thigh tactical!! Could work!

I was wondering further too - perhaps fit up a spare Fobus to handlebars ... but even then - there would be a small technicality of ''illegal window'' perhaps - as before, during or after a dismount - the piece is transferred to covert carry. I am sure with a law as absurd as this one - there could be some point at which it is being broken!
    Chris - P95

Open Carry on a bike? Yes go ahead, we need test cases here in Ohio and I FOR ONE DON'T WANT TO BE ONE OF THEM I am on jury duty here in Madison County one more time this month so if you can do it quick and get into the court I am in I'll be fair with you! I have heard of one car open carry incident where some BOOB called 911 as they saw a gun in a car and the police ran the guy down and then found he was a CCW and doing the open carry in a holster that the law states. Waste of tax dollars and endangered innocent lives, officers AND citizens rather involved in actual case or just on the road at that time. It's a stupid law but we are stuck with it for now. HB 91 is looking to change that, Thank goodness!
    Pat C.
    You all know the go ahead statement was tongue in cheek. Right?
    Last edited by Willy P; April 12th, 2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: recanting statement

>>perhaps fit up a spare Fobus to handlebars<<
    95 the holster HAS to be on your body " in plain sight".

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    - there would be a small technicality of ''illegal window'' perhaps - as before, during or after a dismount - the piece is transferred to covert carry. I am sure with a law as absurd as this one - there could be some point at which it is being broken!
    Not only that....but how stealthily can you pull up to a place such as a restaraunt or gas station on a motorcycle, than covertly transfer your piece from your bike to concealment without God & everyone noticing that you have a gun....a big biker with a big gun!! That sure is an absurd law!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - well, maybe Fobus paddle - clipped onto bike jacket - that'll be ''on person''! Shucks - well - looks like I ain't ridin' up there any time too soon - but if I do - watch the headlines in the papers!

I'm a very law abiding fella but this one? ...
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    As part of my job, I travel into Ohio often. I hope they get that law fixed soon. I need to buy a locking container for my work truck, as there is no lock on the glove box.
    In the mean time I have been poking it into an old first aid kit and locking it up in the rear of the truck. Not exactly the best situation you know.

I've been reading this and I had a thought. I take my bedside ADG mini safe with me whenever I travel. It won't actually prevent theft, but it does make immediate access to the gun nigh impossible and it does lock.

I know I can open it in less than 2 seconds in the dark by feel. I practiced.

I dunno if that helps or not, but set it down beside you, and you basically have immediate access but it's still locked.

Guys, our CCW law is so sucky BUT like I said before it is a start. In 48 years I have seen this State screw up everything BUT a one car funeral and I bet that was an accident If you all could see the CCW stipulations on carrying in the field while hunting you would crap! That was 75% of why I got a CCW and they screwed it up after I got it. I do volunteer work for the ODNR but that bunch has their panties in such a bunch over this law it is rediculous! It makes the car carry crap look like nothing. Ok I meditated and I'm better now, I'll quit carrying on and on. Watch your P's and Q's up this way. I'm headed to KY on Sat. for Horse Traders south of Ashland and it will be nice to be in a state that has some sense! Have any of you " rode Ole Blue"? Email me and we can talk there.

Links