Friends Get Bold With You Carrying? - Page 3

Friends Get Bold With You Carrying?

This is a discussion on Friends Get Bold With You Carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey I just realized -- has anyone mentioned that maybe you should tell these friends to start carrying guns themselves ?! (Within ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friends Get Bold With You Carrying?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I just realized -- has anyone mentioned that maybe you should tell these friends to start carrying guns themselves?! (Within the law, with license, I mean.)

Then they can be their own mr. bada**, right? And we'll see if they get themselves into trouble.
    I tried that, and there have been 3 new handgun purchases in the last month among those friends/coworkers I've told. One of 'em got a S&W Sigma .40, one got an M&P compact 9mm, and one bought a Walther P1 (not for CCW, but for home and plinking - it's his first gun, he was raised Quaker). I don't think that's a bad thing - all of these people know that there is a time and place to talk shop about guns, but it is not when the SHTF. If a situation like that ever erupts at work, I know, and they know, who the other sheepdogs are.

I am now 70 years of age and I have been carrying concealed for nearly 40 years. Only my closest family knows that I carry. Other than that I have maintained a strict, personal policy of never telling anyone that I carry. That you carry is your business and yours alone. You made a mistake when you told your friends! My advice is to never make it again. As to your current friends, explain to them both your position and your desire and respectfully request that they never raise the issue again. Those that respect your wishes remain your friends. Those that do not stop being your friends immediately. It's as hard and simple as that.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I just realized -- has anyone mentioned that maybe you should tell these friends to start carrying guns themselves?! (Within the law, with license, I mean.)

Then they can be their own mr. bada**, right? And we'll see if they get themselves into trouble.
    Bad Idea. At least bad for the 2A cause. These guys aren't mature enough to represent us. Maybe if they took a good class they'd get it.

Anyway, A good few of my friends know I carry. I just made it clear at the beginning that I will avoid physical confrontations at all costs while I'm packing, so if they want to be badasses, they better be prepared for me to watch them get a beating, and never even put my drink down (metaphor, I'm a non-drinker).

If your friends are indespenable, just walk away from them EVERY time they start their crap. You don't have to leave the building. Just say "You're on your own," and walk away.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    You're right, I jumped the gun. I wouldn't recommend guns to people I knew were immature or jumpy, anyway. I retract my previous advice.

VIP Member
    What friends

I'd be looking for new friends fast if this situation ever occurs again. They shouldn't know that you are carrying in the first place, IMO. I hope you can get things fixed and pronto.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Got in a little tussle one night, my friend and I are standing there and my buddy says, loudly, "Don't take your gun out for this". The troublemakers were bugeyed, and I punched my buddy right then and there for being such a *******.

That's the only friend who knows I have a CCW permit, but doesn't realize that I actually do carry, let alone 24/7

Yikes. I want to say its amazing the amount of immature retarded "men" there are out there - but then again I see it every day at work so I know thats the way things are. I'm disappointed in the 18 year olds I meet on a day to day basis, and I'm only 23. Imagine what our society will be like in 10 years? I'm having lots of kids and raising them right - that should help some. :)

VIP Member
    There are alot of comments saying he shouldnt have told his friends. I dont tell anyone , but I know its going to be unavoidable at times. For instance, I live in Ky, but go to Nashville quite often because I have friends there. Lets say we are out and my friend decides we are going to go to Applebees for lunch. I cant carry in there. What do I say? Applebees, Fridays, Hooters , Ocharleys all make me sick, lets go to Mcdonalds.?
    I live right across the river from Illinois and go there often. If I'm with someone and we have to go there I have to lock up my gun. I'm only saying its not always that simple to keep it from friends. Friends are out doing things together and carry isnt legal everywhere.
    Maybe he just flat out told them, if so, he's paying the price. I try to keep it from as many people as possible.
    I agree its very juvenile to act the way they are. I just would'nt go out with them if thats the way they are going to act. They sound like the type that certainly doesnt ever need to carry.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You need new friends.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    My friends do not act like that, if so they are no longer my friends...Jepordising my life and others is uncalled for, they want to do that fine, they can do so elsewhere.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Friends?????
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

When you carry you leave your attitude at home. You are not a tough guy! Someone insults you let go, tell them your very sorry. "Eat crow".
    Never escalate a situation. Leave watching your back. Remember you have a lot of power in your holster, and they do not know that!
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Concealed, means just that concealed...Nuff said.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think I would inform them that when I an carrying, it is incumbent on me to be non-confrontational and if they foolishly start a confrontation, don't count on me to help them. The penalties for me are too severe, even if a life is in danger.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links