Friends Get Bold With You Carrying? - Page 5

Friends Get Bold With You Carrying?

This is a discussion on Friends Get Bold With You Carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by L2TYPE I don't know if you can call this a dilemma or not. But now that I am carrying friends around me ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friends Get Bold With You Carrying?

It's Time...

Quote Originally Posted by L2TYPE View Post
    I don't know if you can call this a dilemma or not. But now that I am carrying friends around me have become more bold while we are out.

Example, in a restaurant and someone at another table is being rude, obnoxious and just plain out right being an . Friend turns and tells them to knock it off and shut the ****up. They turn back to the table and exclaim "I am not to worried because so and so is carrying right now."

I have tried telling them that I am not carrying for them to be "big men" nor do I answer the question when they ask if I am CCing or not. They know I know the laws of my state and they also know that I know if my handgun can be drawn or not in a situation. But in the instance of the restaurant, if that guy came over and tried to start something, I would just sit there and enjoy the fact that my buddy will probably get his butt kicked for being a smart a$$. (Hey, a few punches never hurt to learn a lesson )

I think it has just come down to "We can be bad a$$es because our number 5 buddy in our group has a gun." I have been friends with these guys for over 8 years now, so finding new friends is not really an answer. I am assuming this is just going to be a phase that they will soon pass through. Otherwise, I might need to step it up and become a **** to them about my carrying.

Did anyone else go through this with friends? I know a good portion of people carrying have a gap between my age and theirs but we all started somewhere.

P.S. Not a new member, just said buddies periodically come on here and trying to have this resolved silently before I bring it to them. Need more ammo for my argument I guess you could say.

Stay Safe
    to hang around with older friends...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Do a search, such as wikipedia.com, and realize that concealment is more than mere physical hiding of something. Concealment is keeping something SECRET. Note the period after the capitalized word.

That said, if saying the change of friends is not an option, I'd suggest taking a long hard look at yourself. If you continue to carry in the company of this immature group, I'd question not your legal right to carry, but your maturity to carry. Grow up and make new friends if necessary. Carrying separates the men from the boys so to speak because of the responsibilities associated with the right to carry.

I hope you make the right decision soon and not to your own peril and that of others.

These guys are a buntch of wise guys that will cause a lot of grief for you if you continue to associate with them. These guys need to grow up. I would get them all togeather and explain to them that this is serious busness and their actions can result in someone being killed. You should have never told any one you carried in the first place. If this dosen't work I would drop those people who continue with their childish ways like a hot rock. If they are friends they will not continue this childish action.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Nobody in my family but my wife and my parents know that I carry a weapon.

Certainly NOT any friends, be they from work, sports, university, etc. They will find out only if I ever need to draw it in anger and they are around.

BTW, my brother and sister are libtards and they will not be told about my concealed handgun.

In all truth, it really is nobody's business but your own.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by L2TYPE View Post
    We were eating in a restaurant. I open carried into the place because of the fact they serve alcohol. Just the guys being loud were at the bar within the restaurant. I have eaten at this place at least 100 times, one of my buddies is a server there and I have never had any issues with them. I think we came on the wrong night but turned out to be an eye opener for me.
    L2Type Correct me if I am wrong on this guess. Are you in Virgina?

Folks, particularly those who have written this after apparently not reading his last post, it may undersome circumstances be UNOBTAINABLE for some folks to hide their concealed weapon all the time. From what I read since he was open carrying in the place, sounds like Virgina to me, he could not keep it concealed (Remember Virgina Law no CC in establishments serving alcohol but OC is permitted).

xercise2nd -Why not use Dictionary.com which pulls the word from the dictionary instead of wikipedia. I understand it is an easy referance but not alwas correct as it is used submitted.

Conceal - To keep from being seen, found, observed, or discovered; hide. (American Heritage Dictionary)
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Take it from a guy who has learned the value of what true friends are. These guys are not real friends. Real friends are extremely rare. They would never, ever, put you in a position like that. They would keep their mouth shut about you carrying and would never put you in a position to use it. They would also watch your back as you watched theirs. In my whole life I can count the number of true friends I've had on the fingers of one hand.....

I've had many people who liked to call me their friend but who, in my book, were merely aquaintences or fair weather companions.
    +1

That's exactly one of the reasons nobody and I mean NOBODY knows I'm carrying.

I'm new to this thread, and I'm not going to bore myself reading all the post on this topic.

I will sum this up very easily and in short order.

It is time for you to find new friends and concealed means concealed. Why do your friends know you carry anyways? Your firearm is not to protect your friends, and if they were my "friends" I would let them get in to trouble and leave them to solve their own problems, that they started in the first place.

Your real friends would not put you in that situation.

Biker

I know too many people. Have a few real friends. Do they know I have a pistol on....maybe, maybe not. They may or may not be as well.

Concealed means more than hidden. Be careful.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Most of my friends don't know I carry, and even the ones that know I have a permit never know if I am carrying or not. It's better that way.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

VIP Member
    I don't try to hang out with people who aren't like-minded, and certainly not hotheads with big mouths. They're tactical liabilities, and I'm not going to be put in the posiition of shooting a person because a situation got out of control when it could have easily been avoided in first place.

If I am around a person who thinks I'm their pit bull they can sic on anybody, they're not a friend. Friends don't use friends to bully others. I'll tell them I'll just walk away and let them resolve their own stupidity. I'll tell them I'll just be a good witness, dial 911, and tell the operator there's an idiot getting pummeled because he was being stupid.

Since they obviously aren't brave enough to open their mouths without having a buddy with a gun to back it up, they aren't brave enough to stand up on their own. They'll learn to zip it or deal with their mess... without my help.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I think the main question was not 'should i tell my frends', but what do you do when a member of your party who DOES know starts acting up?

For example, your spouse gets annoyed at someone who cut them off in the car and starts honking their horn/flipping the bird. And 'my spouse would not do that' is not a relevant answer. We're talking about If they knew and if they did. And there have been just a few answers with regard to that.

Now, the advice about being careful who you tell is very valid, but not really an answer to the question asked.

On another point. Having come from the U.K. a little over 5 years ago, I've seen what happens when something is 'pushed underground'. The sheep thought of guns as someting not normal. So, the gun owners were massively outnumbered. You think you have liberal media here? They are positively Reaganites compared to some of the media there.

So, I believe it is incumbent on all of us to educate and make gun ownership no more unusual than owning a toaster.

And carrying no more unusual than wearing a belt.

The more people we get to go for their CCW, the bigger we will be.

How to balance that with the problems associated with people knowing your CCW status, thats something else and a whole other thread.

The way I figure it is if they are offended that is thier problem. We are who we are. Kinda like if a friend of mine is wearing a T-Shirt that I think is stupid it's them wearing it not me.

And if they choose to stay away from me cause I am carrying. It speaks volumes of how strong a friendship it was in the first place.
    Last edited by Hoppmeister; May 21st, 2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Adding
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

This is a perfect example of why "concealed means concealed."

This is also a situation where I have no problem lying to someone. Anyone asks me if I'm carrying I am not evasive, I do not hem and haw, I tell them right out, "Of course not! Why would I be carrying now?"

And if someone ASSUMES that I'm carrying and mentions that, as in the original scenario, my response is "Uh, John, I'm not carrying." The fact that I AM carrying is none of their business, and so I have no problem with lying about it!

Talking

Just tell your friend, "Hey Charlie if we should come in contact with a couple fella's that are going to use deadly force on the two of us. I'll only shoot the fella that is approaching me.. Perhaps you can reason with the fella that has you in his sites to put his weapon down."
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    1. Why in the world would they even know you have or use a ccw in the first place ?

2. Do you allways hang with folks who are low class enough to get confrontational when they feel the odds are on thier side ?

Sorry but i feel that you most likely should re evaluate your lifestyle since you are letting any and all know you carry and some will push the limits . They may well be fine folks otherwise , and i hope you enjoy being a free bodyguard for a group of idiots when your with them . Eventualy they will push things till both they and you see if you have the stones to use that gun to keep one of them from a bloody nose , and if you choose not to then you will be the bad person for not " backing up a friend " . I dont envy your position .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links