Friends Get Bold With You Carrying?

This is a discussion on Friends Get Bold With You Carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by L2TYPE We were eating in a restaurant. I open carried into the place because of the fact they serve alcohol. You guys ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Friends Get Bold With You Carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by L2TYPE View Post
    We were eating in a restaurant. I open carried into the place because of the fact they serve alcohol.

You guys missed his reply. Sure CC means concealed but in VA CC is only hidden until you are hungry (in some circumstances).

His buddies know he CC's because he is required to OC in areas.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    I think the main question was not 'should i tell my frends', but what do you do when a member of your party who DOES know starts acting up?

For example, your spouse gets annoyed at someone who cut them off in the car and starts honking their horn/flipping the bird. And 'my spouse would not do that' is not a relevant answer. We're talking about If they knew and if they did. And there have been just a few answers with regard to that.

Now, the advice about being careful who you tell is very valid, but not really an answer to the question asked.

Frag I agree. A simple answer of find new friends does not work with family members or your SO.

Talking and making them understand what they are doing is the best way you can fix the issue. Last time I checked not talking or seeing your SO is almost a divorce.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You guys missed his reply. Sure CC means concealed but in VA CC is only hidden until you are hungry (in some circumstances).

My bad , I did not even consider other state restrictions . all the parts of my post other than the " why do they know " still apply tho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    My bad , I did not even consider other state restrictions . all the parts of my post other than the " why do they know " still apply tho .
    Yeah, I'll second all that too. I'm in the same boat though. Although I do carry openly from time to time by choice...it's not usually something I want to do while eating dinner. Sometimes I can handle the extra time and effort it takes to re-educate folks after an open carry dilemma...but I don't want to deal with it while eating my dinner.
    I would think now is a good time to have a sit-down with your friends and very clearly, but politely explain the facts. If they don't get it after that...find new friends. I know it's hard to say when you have long standing relationships, but I've done it and it's not as hard as it seems(different non-carry related reasons though).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Scheetz
    I did miss that. My mistake.

I guess the appropriate response then, would be something like, "You get yourself into a fight, you're on your own. No way I'm drawing my gun to save YOUR dumb-ass!"

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheetz View Post
    Actually, they know because he chooses to enter with OC. Other legal choices would be to not enter or to enter without a firearm...

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Time to get new friends
    DITTO! And don't tell them you carry.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Actually, they know because he chooses to enter with OC. Other legal choices would be to not enter or to enter without a firearm...
    I will admit the choice to enter is there, Yes, but not a decent choice if you plan to have friends or a life.

The second option SUCKS. If one can even call it an option. I had to unload my gun tonight and leave it in the car to go into a resteraunt and get some food with a friend. I am in TN and can not carry where alcohol is served. Why should he go in sheepishly unarmed when he can legally OC. Would you encourage others to go places they can legally go armed with out their defensive weapon?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by L2TYPE View Post
    Well the secret went down the drain when my parents asked them if they minded me carrying a gun everywhere they went.
    I think you may want to have a talk with your parents about being a bit more discreet about your carrying.

Like other people said, nobody knows I carry conceal. This is just my business and m y responsability.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Find different friends...or tell them that if they start something, they are the ones who are going to finish it--because you are leaving.

You need to stay away from people who are using you as their backup when your friends are the ones provoking the problem. Find some other way to resolve a problem--picking a fight is NOT the solution.
    +1 for sigguy
    find new friends, because these are going to get you into real trouble. They do not respect you or your personal decision to protect YOURSELF....then they aren't your friends.
    If they are your friends then a real discussion with them won't be hard. They need to understand the responsibility you have being a CCW license holder, and the 'real' WHY you are carrying. remember real friends respect your rights, and will make your conversation easy.
    if not...refer to first sentence.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links