Killer in church - merge

This is a discussion on Killer in church - merge within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where better to assault someone than in a church? Peoples backs are turned and they are focused on prayer. BG's wouldnt think of a church ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Killer in church - merge

VIP Member
    Where better to assault someone than in a church? Peoples backs are turned and they are focused on prayer. BG's wouldnt think of a church being off limits. It seems like a logical target to me. What an easy place to catch people off guard.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    The news conference revealed that the Moscow city officer died this morning. The Latah County Deputy still in serious condition. The civilian heard shots fired, came out of his house, and walked to the scene to see if he could help (?) and was shot. He's still in the hospital as well.

The shooter used an SKS and started shooting into the building that held the dispatch center, the first couple officers responded and were shot at, the shooter retreated into a church. They found him dead this morning of his own devices. Not much is being released yet.

They are calling him a "sniper" but that doesn't really seem to fit what he did. It was humorous to listen to the news talking heads discuss "rifle casings" found at the scene and other mis-quotes.

Here's the link for the story so far http://www.q6.com/Global/story.asp?S=6541638

Please pray for the officer's family and recovery of the other two injured. Moscow PD said they will have another news conference tomorrow morning at 11 with more information.

Heck of a thing to get to work to this morning.

To the guys in uniform (and others): stay safe.
    Skipped church today in Moscow... went to the mall instead... yes there was something in my IWB with my family and myself... IIRC the Officer that died may have been the guy that did our child seat checks... if it was, we knew the guy.

Duke is saying SKS... not a sniper rifle, not automatic, unless illegaly modified or slam fired.

I ALWAYS Carry In Church...

Even my wife understands why...watch the news...

If someone tries something stupid...we'll have the congregation pray for his recently departed soul...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MD_Willington View Post
    Duke is saying SKS... not a sniper rifle, not automatic, unless illegaly modified or slam fired.

Every story that calls a semi-auto an "automatic weapon" constitutes additional cause to harbor doubts any time a news report says that an automatic weapon was used.

It's getting so that the news idiots are using "automatic weapon" pretty much indiscriminately. Is this deliberate or just sloppy? You decide. I think it's some of both.

I know of some that do carry in church ( illegal in Georgia) because of that and a possible terrorist scenario of an attack in a church.

Not legal to carry in church during a service in VA unless you have cause. The problem with that is "cause" is subjective.
    Church begins at home and that's where mine stays.

Quote Originally Posted by dls56 View Post
    Not legal to carry in church during a service in VA unless you have cause.
    There cannot be a greater "cause" than saving innocent life. There cannot be. I'm sure this law was put there in recognition of that simple fact.

The problem with that is "cause" is subjective.
    And yet, this portion of the law was certainly put there to allow criminalization by whim. Same ol', same ol'.

It's things like this that underscore the simple insanity of gun laws in the first place, and of any law in general that seeks to outlaw stupidity. Murder, rape, torture, aggravated assault, mayhem ... these are each already worth getting you arrested and charged. So long as you're living peacefully and merely on guard in a defensive posture against likely or possible problems (ie, shootings in a church, on the way to church, around the corner, etc), there should not be a problem. Pretty good example of the "Nanny State" and its inability to do anything but criminalize upstanding people.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here in Maine we carry in church. I'd say about 30% of the men carry on a daily basis. The guys that greet at the door carry, the worship leader carries, a couple of Children's ministry teachers carry(yes while they are teaching) and the pastor carries. That's in addition to the people that just come and get fed that carry. We are also hoping to have a pistol course at the church as there are a lot of ladies in the fellowship that want to learn how to handle a gun correctly. I believe with the growing animosity toward Christianity is reason enough to carry in church.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by dls56 View Post
    Not legal to carry in church during a service in VA unless you have cause. The problem with that is "cause" is subjective.
    Church begins at home and that's where mine stays.
    Actually it says without good and sufficient reason...Keeping my family alive is good and sufficient enough for me...and coincidentally I've run into a fair number of pastors in NoVA area that both carry and encourage carry as well.

18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

(Code 1950, 18.1-241; 1960, c. 358; 1962, c. 411; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Every story that calls a semi-auto an "automatic weapon" constitutes additional cause to harbor doubts any time a news report says that an automatic weapon was used.

It's getting so that the news idiots are using "automatic weapon" pretty much indiscriminately. Is this deliberate or just sloppy? You decide. I think it's some of both.

Yep, he should re-phrase it to auto-loading... they are pretty shook up over there... they've had a lot of bad stuff going down lately in Moscow...

The members of the church that is now a crime scene, had their members meet on the U of I campus... aparently no CCW on campus IIRC...

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    The news conference revealed that the Moscow city officer died this morning. The Latah County Deputy still in serious condition. The civilian heard shots fired, came out of his house, and walked to the scene to see if he could help (?) and was shot. He's still in the hospital as well.

Here's the link for the story so far http://www.q6.com/Global/story.asp?S=6541638

Please pray for the officer's family and recovery of the other two injured. Moscow PD said they will have another news conference tomorrow morning at 11 with more information.

Heck of a thing to get to work to this morning.

To the guys in uniform (and others): stay safe.

The civilian is the son of a close personal friend of mine. He was worked up about the Virginia Tech shootings and did not want it to happen in 'his' town. So he took his XD .45 to go and help. When he tried to assist the fallen officer he was shot 4 times in ambush. (thigh, abdomen, shoulder, neck, all T & T) He is expected to make a full recovery but has a long road of recovery. Please pray for him, all the victims, and families affected.

TechGuy,

Pass along my thoughts and prayers to any and all affected.
    This strikes too close to home once again.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    The civilian is the son of a close personal friend of mine. He was worked up about the Virginia Tech shootings and did not want it to happen in 'his' town. So he took his XD .45 to go and help. When he tried to assist the fallen officer he was shot 4 times in ambush. (thigh, abdomen, shoulder, neck, all T & T) He is expected to make a full recovery but has a long road of recovery. Please pray for him, all the victims, and families affected.
    Glad he's going to be ok...Let him know we're thinking of him...and darn glad someone like him was willing to help try to put a stop to it, even though he did get ambushed before more could be done. Everyone will continue to armchair qb it (and yes I'm guilty of it too) as they do everything, but the fact remains that it appears he did what he thought was necessary to potentially save innocent lives knowing he was walking into a volatile situation willingly. Those are exactly the types we want more of...perhaps at the very least to give criminals pause before they make a decision to start an attack from now on.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

My wife confirmed that we did in fact know the officer who died, he did the carseat safety check on our childrens car seats a couple times.

My co-worker sent me this in an email... description of Jason Hamilton...
    He was mentally unstable and had problems with drugs which made his paranoid.

I knew him and his wife.

He was always paranoid that she was cheating on him.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    Very sorry to hear that. Hope he comes through with no ill effects. Going to the aid of a fallen officer is different than the original news report that came out. That is a valid reason to run into a gunfight that's not yours.

They held the fallen officer's funeral today. A sad occasion to say the least.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links