Another one joins us!

This is a discussion on Another one joins us! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My sister is the mother of two young toddler boys with a 3rd one on the way. She's certainly not the athletic/fighting type, being 5'7" ...

Thread: Another one joins us!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Another one joins us!

My sister is the mother of two young toddler boys with a 3rd one on the way. She's certainly not the athletic/fighting type, being 5'7" and 200 something pounds. Anyway, she told me that she's interested in acquiring a handgun for defense of her and her kids. We went to a gun store here in town, and I let her look at some handguns, and the clerk was real nice to her. He showed her some guns, and she seems to like the Springfield XD9. She is left handed, and has rather small hands. I think the XD would be a fine choice, given it has the ambidextrous mag release. Her experience with guns is pretty much none, so I will be teaching her how to shoot, but I want to teach her using her gun, not mine, and certainly not her husband's (He has low quality guns that I don't feel comfortable using). I think a 9mm would be a great starter too. I also told her she should consider some professional handgun training in the future, but I will teach her the most important rules of gun safety and shooting.

The only one in my family now who still doesn't have a gun, or knows how to use them is my Mother. She's totally against guns, and believes all guns should be banned.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Thats great, I am in the same boat working on my parents. Father figures his rifles are good enough in the home even though they are in pieces.

Went to the gun show, bought him a mossberg and a box of buck shot. Put them side by side in their bedroom and told him to leave them there.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    My girlfriend used to feel that way, but now she can outshoot just about anybody around. It's amazing what a little exposure can do to remove people's fear of guns.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Its a great way to preserve our freedoms by showing others how much fun and useful they are. Steve48

We can ALWAYS be glad to have more pro gun people.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

May I make a couple suggestions. Have her take an NRA First Steps class. It is inexpensive and covers just about everything about handguns, safety, cleaning, caliber, etc.. Second find out what she wants the gun for. If it is CCW as opposed to just having it around the home for security that may eliminate some choices. If it is CCW, how does she plan to carry, etc.. All these things and more factor into what kind or size gun she buys and I am sure she has considered none of them. Thinking about all of this may eliminate buying something she ends up exchanging down the line.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    She's totally against guns, and believes all guns should be banned.
    Ask Mom to imagine a scenario where she is under threat from an armed thug. Ask then if she would prefer death over self-defence?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Ask Mom to imagine a scenario where she is under threat from an armed thug. Ask then if she would prefer death over self-defence?
    While you're at it, point out that "banning all guns" may sound like a solution, but it will NOT bring about ANY kind of utopia. Quite the opposite in fact. Guns are here to stay no matter how draconian of a ban you have. Criminals in particular will STILL have guns -- all the guns they could ever want -- and will use them to victimize people even more, especially since the law-abiding ones will not be armed. Check South Africa, Britain and Australia for great examples of this. The governments lie and tell you their gun bans are working. For those willing to find out the truth, they will find that crime as well as gun crime will INCREASE after a gun ban. But no government will admit this as it doesn't fit their CONTROL agenda. Gun control is all about controlling the law-abiding. It mostly doesn't even affect criminals.

welcome
    Let HER pick the gun
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    My girlfriend used to feel that way, but now she can outshoot just about anybody around. It's amazing what a little exposure can do to remove people's fear of guns.
    Amen

Between going to the range with my husband and being out with my gal the other day and only two other individuals in the parking lot that to say the least gave me a bad vib made me very glad that I can carry as soon as the state of Okla hurries the heck up!

~Teg

Links