Disney/Universal vacation carry?

This is a discussion on Disney/Universal vacation carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Smartcarry means never having to say "I'm packing."...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disney/Universal vacation carry?

Smartcarry means never having to say "I'm packing."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Does anyone know about SeaWorld? I don't care to go to the other places -- skydiving long ago took the place of any thrill I could ever get from a rollercoaster and now coasters are just an anti-climax. But I think I would enjoy the marine attractions at a place like SeaWorld. That is, if I ever schlep up to central Florida some time.
    SeaWorld, as of a couple weeks ago, was the same deal - bag checks only.

I went there to take photos one day, with my vest on and loaded with stuff - never even got a second look. Could easily have carried most of the toy store in under that vest.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The point, for me, is that I would not give them my money knowing that their policy -- even if they can't fully enforce it -- is that I am not allowed to bring even a knife into the park.

They can keep their park.

Does anyone know if they use magnetometers?
    No offense intended, but do you have grandchildren? If not, then you are not faced with the choice of not giving them your money and denying your grandchildren the joy of Disney World, or accepting their policy, even though it may be totally repugnant to you. For me, it is a no brainer. I can swallow the policy for a few days so that my grandchildren can enjoy the Disney World experience. Just my view, and I fully understand that others may feel differently.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    The house of the mouse forbids firearms.
    I'm not sure about Universal.
    And the kicker is Disney is legally a town with it's very own PD.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Kings Dominion, here in VA, has magnetometers at the gates - I went there once, and never again. If I did carry the Kel-Tec into a park, it would most definitely be in a Smart Carry, along with the majority of our money and ID/cards. Keep $20 in the pocket in case you want a drink or pretzel, excuse yourself to the restroom if you're going to sit down at a meal. Pretty simple.
    My brother worked at PKD a couple of summers ago. He said they used to find a fortune in change and all sorts of knives and stuff under the loops of the roller coasters. No guns though.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I had the family at Disney Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom last week. Although I did not see any no guns signs, they were checking purses and bags. For all I know they were looking for stowaways. If you were to go with a pocket carry or something similar you should have no problem taking a handgun in the park but there is the issue of a suitable backstop if you need to shoot. Another thkng to consider is that Splash Mountain will may get you and your chosen arm very wet.

As for going to Orlando in general, I think it is wise to be armed at all times there. I just get the feeling it is one of the less safe places that I visit on a regular basis.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Not so.

There is nearly always an on-duty, uniformed Sheriff's deputy at the entrance to each park, armed.

A couple of my associates who are federal LEOs visit Disney armed, never had an issue.

Matt
    Matt,

What I referred to was info that is years old (much earlier than 9/11/01) and was relayed on a private LE forum by a local officer who occasionally got called to Disney (I wasn't referring to any other attraction down there).

I've never been there (no children and don't do amusement parks), and I would hope that policies have changed after 9/11/01.

So, I'll take your word for it wrt what may be going on down there now.
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    A timely discussion, it appears:
    Three teens and two adults were arrested at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom after deputies said they spat on guests, cursed and brawled with an Orange County deputy, according to a report released Monday.

The arrests took place at about 11:15 p.m. Sunday, after Rose Dipietro, 20, Brian Guilfoil, 19, and three teens, all of Shirley, New York, were detained by Disney security for being unruly and possibly drunk, according to a sheriff's report.

The group threatened the security officers, who called for help from sheriff's deputies. When one deputy tried to intercede, Guilfoil pushed the deputy while his companions rushed into the fray, the report states.

Security guards and deputies rushed to the deputy's aid, and the deputy used his stun gun against a 17-year-old girl.. The five suspected brawlers were arrested for felony battery on a law enforcement officer and other related charges.

Dipietro and Guilfoil were booked into Orange County Jail, where they were released Monday afternoon on $2,300 bail each.

The teens -- girls 17 and 16 and a 14-year-old boy -- were taken to the county's juvenile detention facility.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines
    Gotta love it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I was asked to put my gun back in my vehicle when they found my S&W .460 4"

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by envonge View Post
    You tried to carry a 4" X frame into WDW?

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    You tried to carry a 4" X frame into WDW?

Really?

Yes. That is my primary carry weapon.

Carrying at Universal

Was at Universal in March '07 - just checked bags - there were no metal detectors or frisking. Also, there were no signs of any kind.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Ok I go to disney all the time since I live about 45 minutes away and I am a season ticket holder. I do carry a .38 in my pocket at the park. Now inside the park I would not worry about crime, but in the parking lot I want my gun. They have had some robberies in the parking lot and some aggravated assaults, don't really know what this involved, but Disney really doesn't like to release any bad press.

Now the minute you leave the Disney properties you better be armed and be very alert of your surroundings. Just a couple of weeks ago a German couple was robbed at their hotel the man was beat the woman was forced to open the safe and then they raped her and pistol whipped her, another man was also robbed in his hotel room nearby. Lots of people I have talked to say that as tourist season gets going it gets alot worse in the tourist trap areas. The crack heads have to get money for their drugs.

But I would carry always down here, if they catch you all they can do is tell you to leave and you have to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by envonge View Post
    A couple questions...

1. Were you already in the park or at the entrance?
    2. How did they find out about it?
    3. How were you carrying it?
    4. In a state where the chance of attack by a bear is very slim what is the tactical reasoning behind your choice? I am not saying you can't carry it but I really think it is not an ideal CCW weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd CCW IWB/SOB...it's not a crime here in FL...they can only ask you to leave...

Concealed is concealed...you'll get in! Just cannot be in a fanny pack.

Stay armed...stay safe!

OMO

I was there one month ago...

ret

No fanny pack +1...We go to Busch Gardens and carry. Like retsupt said concealed is concealed....We always carry IWB...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links