Disney/Universal vacation carry?

This is a discussion on Disney/Universal vacation carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to check in with our Florida contingent to see if I could get any info on this. It's been nearly a decade since ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disney/Universal vacation carry?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

I wanted to check in with our Florida contingent to see if I could get any info on this. It's been nearly a decade since I visited Orlando, and even longer for my wife. We have been kicking around the idea of a nice, pre-children Disney vacation, one last hurrah. My VA permit is recognized in FL, so no question, at least the P3AT is coming with us. I am concerned about carrying onto Disney property, or into the park proper - is this something that would be merely frowned upon by Disney, but not illegal, or is there some statute preventing lawful carry in the theme parks?

Thanks,

I can't speak for the laws but yes it would be frowned on. That being said, you get lightly searched when entering the Disney park. I don't know about Universal. I always made it in with my knife, as they don't exactly frisk you. Your P3AT would get in the park just fine, as would any thoughtfully concealed weapon. Your bags/purses/pouches WILL get searched though! If anybody discovers even a knife, you will be taken off of park property and your tickets will be voided. My lady just worked for them last summer and she said if you're with someone that is working there, they'll also get fired!

All that being said, I would at least bring my knife with me in there. I've never snuck in anything more, but my knife goes everywhere with me unless it just won't fit my attire. Out of the many times I went in last summer, I have seen some frightening things go on in there. The most notable being a man screaming and yelling at his family, completely out of control. Little kids and I'm guessing wife were sitting on a set of stairs by the entrance crying as he was screaming balistically at them, red faced and all. Security had to take him out of the park.. he ruined that day for his family!

Another occasion I was in a store with my lady browsing around and a woman near me started yelling to "catch that a-hole!".. apparently a guy with a duffel bag had been going around recording up women and even underage girl's skirts.

Yeah, I bring my knife. I'd refrain from bringing a firearm because of the roller coasters and such, I'd be too afraid of it falling out and some kid getting a hold of it, no matter how good its secured. Have a fun trip, and most of all be safe! Be sure to check out MGM Studios while you're there, specifically the Rockin Rollercoaster and the Tower of Terror. Incredibly fun rides!
    Last edited by Ryan H; May 21st, 2007 at 02:04 AM.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The point, for me, is that I would not give them my money knowing that their policy -- even if they can't fully enforce it -- is that I am not allowed to bring even a knife into the park.

They can keep their park.

Does anyone know if they use magnetometers?

Can't speak for down there, but the amusement park down by Cincy uses metal detectors, I believe the one in N. Ohio does too.

A side note, I spent a summer running roller coasters, make sure if you have a knife or firearm that you manage to bring into the park, you have it more secure than just in your pocket. I gained several knives that summer. Also, 16 year old kids have no idea what to do when they find a loaded 9mm on the coaster, so don't leave one there.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The point, for me, is that I would not give them my money knowing that their policy -- even if they can't fully enforce it -- is that I am not allowed to bring even a knife into the park.

They can keep their park.
    In most cases, and most places, I'd agree with you - I'd rather go without than disarm. This, however, is something that my wife and I decided years before I even considered carrying a firearm for personal defense; and the repercussions of not going to WDW/UO outweigh my desire to "stick it to the man."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Can't speak for down there, but the amusement park down by Cincy uses metal detectors, I believe the one in N. Ohio does too.

A side note, I spent a summer running roller coasters, make sure if you have a knife or firearm that you manage to bring into the park, you have it more secure than just in your pocket. I gained several knives that summer. Also, 16 year old kids have no idea what to do when they find a loaded 9mm on the coaster, so don't leave one there.
    Kings Dominion, here in VA, has magnetometers at the gates - I went there once, and never again. If I did carry the Kel-Tec into a park, it would most definitely be in a Smart Carry, along with the majority of our money and ID/cards. Keep $20 in the pocket in case you want a drink or pretzel, excuse yourself to the restroom if you're going to sit down at a meal. Pretty simple.

There were no metal detectors last summer. I cannot speak for this summer, but I seriously doubt it. Things like strollers and such would make a metal detector a big hassle. Speaking of which, I saw a few strollers go thru with the guards doing little to no searching.

Yeah, Paramount used to run the parks, and they did the metal detectors, that started a few years after I worked there. The new owners have continued it.

Smartcarry should work pretty well for that. You have the right idea, don't keep anything too valuable in your pockets, either the rides or pickpockets will get it.

But I am hi-jacking your thread, somebody go back to talking about Florida.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

New Member Array anotherjohndoe's Avatar

disney & universal

I was there in Oct '06. We attended Universal, and one park at Disney. I was never searched, however I believe they did ask to see inside my wife's purse at Disney. Both parks are taking digital fingerprints as you are ticketing, so take some hand sanitizer. No magnetometers that I recall.

The above advice about having a rock solid secure carry rig is worth noting if you will be on the rides.

There was a widely publicized case in recent history about a husband and wife pair that worked at Disney. They had to drive through an undesirable section of Orlando on a daily basis. Seems they had some trouble and kept a firearm in their personal vehicle. Somehow Disney got wind of it (wife ran her mouth I think) and fired both of them, forever banning them from the property as well.

I personally wouldn't return to Disney anyway, especially in light of their victim disarmament policy. The park that we visited was just dirty and run down. Universal was much nicer.

Enjoy the trip!

I Live Two Hours Away...

I'd CCW IWB/SOB...it's not a crime here in FL...they can only ask you to leave...

Concealed is concealed...you'll get in! Just cannot be in a fanny pack.

Stay armed...stay safe!

OMO

I was there one month ago...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    There is nothing in the Florida statutes forbidding carrying in an amusement park, except potentially if you were going to watch a professional sporting event.

Disney does not have magentometers, and only those with bags get a cursory inspection of those bags. Guests without bags get no scrutiny at all.

It has been a while since I have been to Universal, but IIRC their screening was the same as Disney's. I have heard, but cannot confirm, that they use metal detectors for some special events, like their Halloween late-night events.

If you are discovered, you would be asked to leave. In Florida, you must leave as soon as you are asked, and failing to do so can lead to a felony charge of armed trespassing.

Now for the more practical points.

Universal has had significant crime issues in their parking structures, including shootings.

Disney is relatively safe, with very little violent crime.

One issue, particularly with the more densely populated Disney locations like the Magic Kingdom and MGM is the lack of safe backstops. Inside the park, pretty much anywhere you are your target would have hundreds if not thousands of people behind them. A miss or a round passing through the target is almost certain to hit someone. It is worth bearing in mind that many of the things that look like solid walls are merely fiberglass shells over a metal framework with - you guessed it - thousands of people on the other side.

Universal is much the same, if less attended.

Personally, I opt for an alternative tool when at Disney, be it an edged weapon or impact tool in the theme parks.

Your milage may vary.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Does anyone know about SeaWorld? I don't care to go to the other places -- skydiving long ago took the place of any thrill I could ever get from a rollercoaster and now coasters are just an anti-climax. But I think I would enjoy the marine attractions at a place like SeaWorld. That is, if I ever schlep up to central Florida some time.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    IIRC from a LE forum a number of years ago, even when they call for the local police at Disney, they don't want them carrying in the park!

They don't even let off-duty officers carry in the park. VERY anti-gun. Valid issues about backstops and rides however noted above.
    NRA Instructor

I carried my XD9SC into a Disney park this past winter with no problems, mainly because it was in my Maxpedition bag and the security guys were so busy that they waved me right through without making me open the back pocket that had the holster and the gun in it.

That said, I got into the park and realized that actually defending myself with a 9mm would be quite a risk in the park as you are constantly surrounded by throngs of innocent people on all sides and almost every "wall" in the place is really nothing more than a thin facade. It would be almost impossible not to hit an innocent bystander when defending yourself. That was a risk I didn't want to take and I decided after that day that it wasn't worth the trouble. A knife would probably be much easier to conceal and more appropriate.

Also, a few days later the security guards at another Disney park were much more thorough and would have seen my gun and made me go secure it in my vehicle if I had carried it that day. That would have been quite embarrassing and would have required me to go all the way back to my car, which was quite a treck from the front gate where your bags are searched.

The "Downtown Disney" area, which is mostly shops and restaurants, however, was one place that I did carry without any problems and was glad I did as it is open to the public and had some large, somewhat dark parking lots to cross to get back to my car after dinner.

Just my $0.02...

If you are going to carry for sure, I'd highly recommend something small that is easy to keep in your pocket, like a Seecamp or NAA Guardian.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    IIRC from a LE forum a number of years ago, even when they call for the local police at Disney, they don't want them carrying in the park!

They don't even let off-duty officers carry in the park. VERY anti-gun. Valid issues about backstops and rides however noted above.
    Not so.

There is nearly always an on-duty, uniformed Sheriff's deputy at the entrance to each park, armed.

A couple of my associates who are federal LEOs visit Disney armed, never had an issue.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links