Extremely sobering experience

This is a discussion on Extremely sobering experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by a_kayaker Very gutsy to share this story. Thanks for sharing it. Hearing about incidents like this help us all to remain diligent ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extremely sobering experience

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Very gutsy to share this story. Thanks for sharing it.

Hearing about incidents like this help us all to remain diligent when handeling our firearms.

Glad everyone was ok.

I share cjm5874's questions though. What was going on there?
    I just put it above. A party was going to occur soon, and I wanted to get the gun split into two different physical locations to prevent anything from happening.

I was completely retarded and didn't check to clear the gun before disassembly, and my gun requires a trigger pull to disassemble it.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Ok, got it. Looks like I was still typing while you were posting.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I have a feeling a life wil be spared because you shared your story. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppmeister View Post
    I have a feeling a life wil be spared because you shared your story. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.
    Absolutely. Your pain can be our gain. Hopefully some day the kharmic value will come back to you.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

I bet that it won't ever happen again to you. A hard earned lesson stays with us for a long time.

Exactly, and that is my reason for sharing. I've been around guns for over half of my life, and this is the first incident I've ever had regarding it. If sharing will save one life, great, regardless of the flack I may catch for it. Well worth it to me.
    ~Mike F.

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing that embarrassing experience. I for one am glad for the reminder. Like the old saying goes… “familiarity breads contempt”!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I don't mean to start a flame war about gun types or anything here, but does the PT-140 not have a chamber-loaded indicator?

FWIW, I have an XD-45 which has a chamber-loaded indicator, and it does require a trigger pull to disassemble. However, between the indicator, and having to drop the magazine and then lock the slide back in order to turn the disassembly lever, before releasing the slide and pulling the trigger, I don't see how you could still have a round in there after that. I'm not familiar with the PT-140, so I don't know how that compares.

Yikes. Glad to hear it turned out as well as it could have. Guns that require a trigger pull to disassemble make me pretty nervous- probably why I don't own any

Senior Moderator
    At least the muzzle was still pointed in a safe direction.

Most of the individuals I have talked to who have had ADs have been able to shake their heads in years to come with shy smiles on their faces because the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction and no one was hurt.

I also agree with Jeremiah.. guns that require a trigger pull to be disassembled are not on my "favorite" list.

Stay safe and I hope you find a new computer.

Sorry but I am confused

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I thought that I had dumped the magazine and cleared the chamber. I hadn't.

I didn't double check to make sure the gun was clear, and after locking the slide back and pulling out the disassembly pin to take the gun apart, I pulled the trigger as required to disassemble the gun.

My pt-145 directions state to drop the magazine, lock the slide back, then twist and remove the pin, then bring the slide forward and if it does not come forward to then pull the trigger.

From what I read you pulled the trigger with the slide locked back? That would be impossible to fire, if you locked the slide back it would have ejected the round and you cannot pull the trigger with the slide back.

I just wan't clarification as I own a similar weapon

I am confused. Was the mag still in the weapon? When you brought the slide forward youy chambered another round??

Yep been there. Even a friend almost blew my head off when he made his "accident".

A friend of mine and I just got home from shooting n the mountains.
    He knew I was shooting my Glock and it was unloaded when he last saw it.

But before we left, I loaded it back up to carry with me on the way home out of the mountains.

When we got back to his house, I put it down with all my other guns.
    I went to the bathroom and hear a loud boom and a bunch of wood and plaster flew on the right side of my face.

I knew what happened, and I walked out and asked if my GF hired him to kill me.

We both laughed but he was very shaken up.

It does happen to almost all of us.
    I dont even want to tell me story.........
    (Lets just say My Nissan Truck took three AK47 bullets, one to the gas tank! It survived very well though. Now I know why all the terrorists drive Nissan trucks! hehe)
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Sorry but I am confused
    My pt-145 directions state to drop the magazine, lock the slide back, then twist and remove the pin, then bring the slide forward and if it does not come forward to then pull the trigger.

From what I read you pulled the trigger with the slide locked back? That would be impossible to fire, if you locked the slide back it would have ejected the round and you cannot pull the trigger with the slide back.

I just wan't clarification as I own a similar weapon

I am confused. Was the mag still in the weapon? When you brought the slide forward youy chambered another round??
    Mag was still in the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    At least the muzzle was still pointed in a safe direction.

Most of the individuals I have talked to who have had ADs have been able to shake their heads in years to come with shy smiles on their faces because the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction and no one was hurt.

I also agree with Jeremiah.. guns that require a trigger pull to be disassembled are not on my "favorite" list.

Stay safe and I hope you find a new computer.
    I agree, although I'm still strongly looking at a Springer XD for whenever I buy another pistol. J fram is also a very strong contender.

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    I don't mean to start a flame war about gun types or anything here, but does the PT-140 not have a chamber-loaded indicator?

FWIW, I have an XD-45 which has a chamber-loaded indicator, and it does require a trigger pull to disassemble. However, between the indicator, and having to drop the magazine and then lock the slide back in order to turn the disassembly lever, before releasing the slide and pulling the trigger, I don't see how you could still have a round in there after that. I'm not familiar with the PT-140, so I don't know how that compares.
    Yes, it does. Remember that I never checked for a magazine in there, so although it ejected the chambered round, the magazine that was in there did it's job, and fed a round into the chamber when the slide went forward. I didn't do my job.

Oh, and Sig, if you think thos old nissan trucks are tough and reliable, you should try to kill an old mopar with a slant six in it, or a ford truck with a straight six 300cid engine. They just...don't die. Ever.
    ~Mike F.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Oh, and Sig, if you think thos old nissan trucks are tough and reliable, you should try to kill an old mopar with a slant six in it, or a ford truck with a straight six 300cid engine. They just...don't die. Ever.
    I know what you mean about those old American trucks. They were tough as a bucket of nails.

But as far as today goes, the Japanese are making much better trucks (Toyota and Nissan) in my opinion. And I have owned A LOT of trucks in my young life.

Plus, My Nissan and Toyota were made in Tennessee and Ohio. Not Mexico or Canada like many Fords and Chevey's are now.

But I digress, I dont want to get into a US vs. Jap truck debate here...
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

I think the important thing here when people describe their ND's is to hear of all the different circumstances that caused their distractions. What they were doing at the time... why the were manipulating the firearm, etc...

The other thing I learn from is what the firearms procedure for disassembly is and how they deviated from that procedure or the distractions.

I learn from each and every post that people who have the courage and maturity to describe their event for us.

Thanks jeep.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links