Extremely sobering experience

This is a discussion on Extremely sobering experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad you've learned a valuable lesson..."hands-on" lessons make us real learners... Stay armed...stay safe! ret...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extremely sobering experience

Glad you've learned a valuable lesson..."hands-on" lessons make us real learners...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Two types of people: those who have and those who will.

I am glad it came out well. I had one many years ago. I still feel like an idiot, which is good, because everytime before I pick up a weapon, I remember the incident and I am extra safe.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    Glad you are ok...and learned a lesson without shooting someone else or yourself.

Not wanting to start a flamewar...but this is one of the reasons why I will NOT own a Glock, I just can't fathom a design that REQUIRES me to pull the trigger to disassemble it......
    First, thank you for having the gumption to tell this. We all learn from it. Bravo.......
    I have an XD40SC and I also have to pull the trigger to break it down. But I also have a loaded chamber indicator that pops up when theres one in the chamber . I like this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Mag was still in the gun.

Yes, it does. Remember that I never checked for a magazine in there, so although it ejected the chambered round, the magazine that was in there did it's job, and fed a round into the chamber when the slide went forward. I didn't do my job.
    Thanks for the clarification. Owning a similar model firearm I am always interested in soaking up as much info as possible on it.

I am glad you and your friends and the hotel guests made it out unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    First, thank you for having the gumption to tell this. We all learn from it. Bravo.......
    I have an XD40SC and I also have to pull the trigger to break it down. But I also have a loaded chamber indicator that pops up when theres one in the chamber . I like this feature.
    Don't glocks have something similar on the right side of the gun? When I was looking at the Glock and the XD models I thought I remember there being an "indicator" on the glock as well. I like the feature as well but I don't trust it.

Either way, I have an XD and the break down routine almost triple checks to make sure you have nothing in the chamber before you pull the trigger. I always check my pistol to see if its loaded even if I know its been sitting locked in its case unloaded since I cleaned it. It's a habit.

Glad you're ok, and here to remind us about it. I also have 2 XDs, it's all about habit, but the chamber indicator really helps.

Now please, POST pics of the deceased laptop so that we may have a moment of silence for the innocent bystander that was hurt.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

No flame intended but I can't understand why the fact that you have to pull the trigger on a Glock before disassembling bothers people.

I have a 1911 and am not required to do this but after I TRIPLE CHECK the gun, I CHECK IT AGAIN and then my final act before putting the unloaded gun away is to point it either at my basement wall (underground) or at my Safe Direction pad and pull the trigger.

Unless I am at the range or in a situation where I want to fire a round, there are only three places I pull the trigger: 1) at a "safe area" during a competition, 2) at my basement wall or Safe Direction pad, 3) at a target in my basement during dry firing. The target is only made visible when I am dry firing. After dry firing, I put it away.

I can't get too excited by loaded gun indicators either. I don't care what the little indicator says. I check the gun both by feel and visually and only pull the trigger when I am 1,000% certain that it is unloaded.

But you have to make sure you concentrate on the gun handling and not talking to people or anything else distracting.

Could I have a ND? You're damn skippy I could!! That's why I take all of the precautions I do. When (not if) I have my ND, I want to make sure that it was like the original poster's: embarassing but not tragic.

Thanks for posting. We all should be reminded every so often that we are human.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Don't get too comfortable with it. My gun also has one that pops out. Sure didn't stop it from happening.

I'm glad it's made some people think a bit more.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Jeep45238,

Glad to here nobody was hurt. I do know how you feel. It only takes once to learn that lession.

Brian

I had an ND once myself in my younger days. It sure does screw your head on straight doesn't it?

Just give the gun the respect it deserves and your undivided attention from now on and you shouldn't have this problem again. I have gone so far as toy ask people to stop talking to me while I am handling my gun. They may think I am rude but that is better than having another ND.

Glad everything turned out OK for you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Formula SAE team We were lucky enough to finish the endurance portion of the competition for the first time in about 6 or 7 years, and snagged fourth place in an international competition with over 100 teams competing. Not too shabby, considering we had universities from Austria, Austrailia, Britain, Germany, Singapore, Japan, Brazil, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.
    Where did/do you go to school?
    I was on the Okla. State Formula SAE team back in the day
    And yes great standing - congratz!

~Teg

University of Cincinnati. We tied our highest finish ever with this car, 4rth place. Did that in 1997.
    ~Mike F.

~Mike F.

OUCH!
    but dang some one up stairs is lookin' out for you! Could have been so much more...
    Stay safe - thank you for sharing - knowledge is power

~Teg

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Jeez man, I'm very glad to hear that nobody got hurt. Out of curiousity, did you find the XTP? Got any pics of that?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links