Extremely sobering experience

This is a discussion on Extremely sobering experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past weekend I pulled what I did something incredibly stupid. I was negligent, but was also extremely lucky. I was in Romeo, MI for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extremely sobering experience

This past weekend I pulled what I did something incredibly stupid. I was negligent, but was also extremely lucky. I was in Romeo, MI for our FSAE racing competition that weekend, and was in the hotel. Upon getting into the hotel, I took off the holster with the gun in it, and put it inside of my backpack. I thought that I had dumped the magazine and cleared the chamber. I hadn't.

We were starting to have a party and I didn't want to have any accidents. I was busy talking and not giving the gun the respect it deserved. I didn't double check to make sure the gun was clear, and after locking the slide back and pulling out the disassembly pin to take the gun apart, I pulled the trigger as required to disassemble the gun. Much like the DEA agent in the video floating around all over the place, but thankfully nobody got hurt, nor did I go around saying that I was the only one professional enough to handel the gun.

A very loud bang inside of a small hotel room occurred, entering my backpack and saying hello to my laptop. Thankfully it's made of polycarbonite and steel, and I believe that that combined with the Hornady low recoil/flash rounds and the XTP bullet they make is what kept the round inside of the backpack. Thankfully it never exited the backpack, and nobody got hurt. The police never showed, apparently this hotel put money into soundproofing ; the team in the hallway thought I had popped a champaign cork.

It has been a definite sobering experience, and a real reality check with my life. The truck's getting sold, the race car and all the parts and spares for it are getting sold. I don't have the time when I had the money to work on them, and never had the money to buy the parts when I had the time. I also can't buy a new computer that I need to finish these last 2 weeks of school without selling them.

I'm split on this, as I'm glad it happened. It's the cheapest way I could have learned that lesson the hard way. I've been around firearms since I was 9 or 10 years old, and this is the first time I've ever had a negligent discharge. It shook me up pretty bad, knowing that there were people that could have been killed or injured below, and next to me as well as the guy in the room with me. I'm also disappointed that it happened, as I did not give the gun the respect it required. It's been the first incident of any kind I've had since I was 9 or 10 with guns.

The Taurus PT-140's going up for sale right now. As much as I'll miss it, I need the money to be able to afford another computer. I never wanted to do this, but unfortunately I have to so I can finish school. It's been a tough choice.

On the lighter side of it, most of the guys on the Formula SAE team come from a pro-gun background, and nearly all of them has had somebody in their family who did something similar, and once everybody calmed down it was good-natured ribbing the rest of the weekend. We were lucky enough to finish the endurance portion of the competition for the first time in about 6 or 7 years, and snagged fourth place in an international competition with over 100 teams competing. Not too shabby, considering we had universities from Austria, Austrailia, Britain, Germany, Singapore, Japan, Brazil, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Stay safe, stay armed, stay legal.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

It happens to the best of us. Steve48

Assistant Administrator
    Wow - yes it can happen. Very relieved that somehow rule #2 was at least in effect whether by luck or design.

Thx for being honest enough to tell about it - as you will still be feeling somewhat embarrassed but - sharing this will hopefully be another reminder to everyone that things can happen - and did!.

Some lessons are learned the hard way with sequele that suck - but at least here your backlash is fiscal and not one involving injury or death - that is a big plus for sure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    It happens to the best of us.
    - Janq

"Live and learn." - Old timey truism
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Just learn from it. That's all you can hope to do.

It's better to make a thousand different mistakes than to make the same mistake twice.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Administrator
    I'm glad nobody was hurt, let it be a lesson learned and move on.

Unfortunatly, this isnt going to help your crusade to allow CCW on campus...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wow, well thankfully the lesson was learned without injury.

Good luck to you.

1943 - 2009
    It took a lot of guts to share this story. I commend you, jeep45238. You're OK in my book.

Learn from it and don't let it get you down.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Live and learn , remember for future that the FIRST thing you do when you pick up any firearm is to check chamber . I once set in a room when a friend shot himself thro the hand with the same mistake . oO( a .45 takes a hunk out of a human hand even with ball . )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm glad nobody was hurt, let it be a lesson learned and move on.

Unfortunatly, this isnt going to help your crusade to allow CCW on campus...
    True, but also look at the police and military. Quite a few of them have the same thing happen.

I'm thankfull that I had it pointed in the corner, and that it ended up the way it did.
    ~Mike F.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    That's a tough break, but at least it's renewed your caution. I once had an ND at the shooting range... I was pretty new at handling guns, and fortunately the round went semi-downrange (I shot the guy's target who was about 5 lanes away). It was scary, and I realized that a gun is ALWAYS loaded (at least I'll treat it that way).
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I'm sorry, I appreciate the fact that you had the courage to share this with us and I am not trying to bash you but some of your story concerns me. If I read what you have written correctly you were starting to have a party so you decided to clean your gun? You stated you were...

"Starting to have a party..."

...does that mean you had been drinking? Were there others in the room that had been as well? You also stated...

"I was busy talking..."

...prior to this time how many of your teammates knew you had a gun? For what purpose was the gun removed from the backpack in their company?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

No, we were about to have a party, so I wanted to strip the gun, and put the frame inside of the lock box inside of my car, to make sure that nobody got drunk and grabbed it when I was taking a piss. It could have wound up a LOT worse if this was the case.

On the team, everybody knew, so about a dozen or so. 3 of us are CCW holders.
    ~Mike F.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Very gutsy to share this story. Thanks for sharing it.

Hearing about incidents like this help us all to remain diligent when handeling our firearms.

Glad everyone was ok.

I share cjm5874's questions though. What was going on there?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Glad you are ok...and learned a lesson without shooting someone else or yourself.

Not wanting to start a flamewar...but this is one of the reasons why I will NOT own a Glock, I just can't fathom a design that REQUIRES me to pull the trigger to disassemble it......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links