Defensive Carry banner

Found an AntiGun Establishment....

7K views 65 replies 45 participants last post by  falcon1 
#1 ·
On Saturday, the wife and I stopped at the Petro Travel Center in Oak Grove, MO. It was one of our favorites to stop at, but not anymore.

On the doors was clearly posted NO GUNS. The Classic circle slash over the hand gun. We were about to purchase 145 Gallons of Diesel and then get supper, do laundry and take showers. Instead, upon seeing the sign, we drove across Interstate 70 to the TA truckstop, definately NOT our favorite, but they do not have the offending sign in the window.

Over dinner at the TA, I called 411 and was connected in minutes to the Petro, at which point I asked for the manager. I was told he was not in today and if I wanted to leave a voice mail. Sure I said and I did.

This afternoon I got a call back where the manager explained it was the owners decision to post the buildings. I asked what the reason behind that decision and was told, "due to firearms not being allowed in commercial vehicles." I calmly explained that this was not true and he could verify this by going to the DOT website, and doing a keyword search on the FMCSR and that "firearm" is not in the regulations. I also pointed out that truckers are not the only patrons of the facility and the posting makes them liable if a badguy shoots us and we were unarmed because of the sign. Badguys are not going to pay the sign any attention, in fact it helps them secure unarmed victims. I also explained how I was going to take our money else where so long as the sign remains.

He said he was going to discuss my points with the owners. We shall see.

See less See more
#5 ·
I think this action is always meritted, even if it changes nothing ... but if more folks did it then in some cases it is the potential loss of $$$'s that can speak loudest.

Good job Lew ........ every lil bit helps :smilez:

#6 ·
Thanks. After I hung the phone up, the wife says to me, "You know if truckers are not supposed to have guns as they state, then they don't need the sign then do they..."

MAN WHY CAN'T I THINK OF GOOD STUFF LIKE THAT!!!!!

Oh, well she gave it to me for next time.... :smile:

#53 ·
Thanks. After I hung the phone up, the wife says to me, "You know if truckers are not supposed to have guns as they state, then they don't need the sign then do they..."
Exactly.

If what he believes were true -- that truckers could not carry firearms -- then they don't need the sign because the truckers wouldn't have guns in the first place.

Oh, what's that? He believes that some truckers may just carry guns anyway, in spite of the rule (apocryphal though it be) that says they can't? Then what good would your sign do, genius?? :rolleyes: They're gonna ignore the truckers' no-gun rule but then obey your sign??

From there, he should be able to understand that even if the sign is intended for the general public, those inclined to ignore the sign would also do so. It's rather tautological.

#7 ·
Nice Job! I have definitely gone to that particular station and turned around and hit the place in Grain Valley instead. If you don't allow guns, I don't allow you to have my money.

#8 ·
Well done, to explain why they lost your business. Even if it doesn't change the minds of the owners of that establishment, your action may very well affect others who hear about it. It helps us all out when someone takes the time to deliver our message in an effective manner, as you did. Good work!

#11 ·
Nice job Lew. I think it is always worth the effort to explain why you will no longer frequent an establishment with no guns signs. I will bet he didn't get a call thanking him for putting up the sign. I'll bet it would only take a few truckers to call before he understands how much money he is loosing.

#14 ·
How many anti-gun truckers are there in this country? 3? Whoever owns that store is an idiot. That makes about as much sense as posting an anti-gun sign at a feed-n-seed, a tractor dealership, or some other business that typically serves conservative customers.

Didn't someone post a story here recently about how he and his wife were going to sleep in their truck at a truck stop, and some guy in a car drove up and was about to just break into their truck when he saw the trucker's 1911 and fled? And the trucker looked in the truck stop and found MS-13 gang graffiti posted?

Seems to me you'd be pretty dumb NOT to carry if you're a trucker these days.

#17 ·
Congrats. I'm always glad to see a man with a backbone. After he tightens the belt on his piggy bank a few inches I'm sure he'll re-think his stand (I hope). The local Arby's here in Barbourville is posted and I talked to the manager about and told him there's alot of CC patrons that will stop coming here. After the eye rolls and shrugged shoulders he said oh well I still get paid by the hour and the owner can't hear you gripe. But at least I used my voice and talked several people out of goin there from now on.

#20 ·
After the eye rolls and shrugged shoulders he said oh well I still get paid by the hour and the owner can't hear you gripe.
Want to bet? The owners name and contact info should be posted somewhere in the building.

#19 ·
Good deal hope it hurts them.

#23 ·
I am a relatively new to this ccw thing. I don't even have my permit yet--its in the works. What happens if you enter an establishment that "posts"? I assume if varies state by state but just give me the gist(sp?).

(I live in VA for anyone that wants to give me more specific info.)

#41 · (Edited)
In Missouri, carrying a concealed weapon in a prohibited or posted place "Is Not A Criminal Act", but you are subject to fines and suspension of CCW for one year or revoked for 3 years depending on how many times you violated the posted no carry signs.

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a** concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises.

If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense.

If a second citation for a similar violation occurs within a six-month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two hundred dollars and his or her endorsement to carry concealed firearms shall be suspended for a period of one year.

If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars and shall have his or her concealed carry endorsement revoked and such person shall not be eligible for a concealed carry endorsement for a period of three years...

...A concealed carry endorsement suspension pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall be reinstated at the time of the renewal of his or her driver's license. The notice issued by the department of revenue shall be mailed to the last known address shown on the individual's driving record. The notice is deemed received three days after mailing.

Remember, each State has different statutes concerning carrying a weapon in a posted business. Missouri is nice in that it is not considered a criminal act... however other states may differ considerably... It is up to you, to know the laws of your state or any state you travel to!

#24 ·
Teknoid; call or go online to Arby's national; they can relay you complaint on to the owner. Believe me I work for a nationally known Fast food place(not Arby's) and the national is more concerned about $$ than the hourly staff. I would also include what the "manager" said. Include time and date as well. The manager will recieve a new one for the General Manager and maybe the owner!?! I know my owner would not want to be kepts in the dark about lose of money. He may not respond to the threat but if he got enough . . . the responce would be there!!

#26 ·
It definitely wouldn't hurt, but it wasn't me that had the experience (that was Hoozyerdaddy). I'd be willing to bet that they have no idea just how many people around here carry, and that number is growing every day. I took my CCDW class Sunday, and there were 15 people there. This is only one of several classes in the area, held monthly. Three of the students were women (one of whom shot better than I did :redface: )

There are some places in the country in which we are a very large minority. In those places, we can have some influence on how businesses deal with carrying. The :sheep: can't call all the shots when the pockets take a hit.

#25 ·
What happens if you enter an establishment that "posts"? I assume if varies state by state but just give me the gist
kavity - if a state has a legal option for establishments to post ''no guns'' - and that sign meets the laid down criteria then IIRC you break the law by entering armed.

If however a sign is not to laid down std or ... simply a piece of paper with ''no guns'' - you will not break the law per se (in theory) but can be asked to leave, after which persistance could let the owners lay a trespass on you. This is of course over and above the ''usual'' forbidden places . Fed property etc.

I'll leave it to a VA member to be specific for that state.

#27 ·
:congrats::congrats::congrats: Good job. I havent ran into this yet. I'm in Western Ky and have yet to see a sign anywhere but the Social security office, the Post office and the courthouse. But.................. if I do, I'll sure let em know I'm not doing business there....

#29 ·
Taco Cabana in the Austin Texas area also as a sign up saying that concealed carry guns are not allowed. I pointed out that the sign was not regulation but they still held to it. I nicely pointed out that I would no longer eat at their establishment. I have since fired off an email to the corporate headquarters.

#30 ·
Well let me see then... if a "NO GUNS" sign works, then I'm going to put up a "NO CRIME" sign and that'll surely keep me safe! :hand5:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.