Statement of the Century, Lets Discuss.

This is a discussion on Statement of the Century, Lets Discuss. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd rather be killed than take another life any day, no matter how tortured they are. Perhaps not a popular view, but it's mine. I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Statement of the Century, Lets Discuss.

Statement of the Century, Lets Discuss.

I'd rather be killed than take another life any day, no matter how tortured they are. Perhaps not a popular view, but it's mine.

I asked this guy what the hell is wrong with him. That he would rather let a man/woman kill him then fight back! If thats how he wants to live his life so be it. But good lord, I would never lay on the ground and watch my life taken from me by some BG.

Does this take Sheep to a new level?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I know several people who have expressed these sentiments. So far, they've never been put to the test, but I wonder if some sort of survival instinct might kick in when the possibility of violent death was staring them in the face, and not some theoretical idea for them to talk about at coctail parties...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I guess they just don't have much to live for. More likely never envision being in a situation that would demand such drastic measure.
    To each their own I guess. I really like my life.

The Quakers & other pacifists believe it is worse to harm another than to be harmed. I sure don't understand it, but that's how some think.

For many who express such a sentiment it is the complete opposite of not valuing life. They value life, all life, far more than most. Perhaps they will live perhaps they will die, but they KNOW they will not take another's life. Add in a deep spiratual belief in the afterlife and you can easily see how one could think this. These people may consider YOU damned if you were to take a life defending yourself.

I have met a few of these types. I have to agree, that if put to the test they would fight. I also bet that if there children or spouse was being rape or attacked they would act different also.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I know several people who have expressed these sentiments. So far, they've never been put to the test, but I wonder if some sort of survival instinct might kick in when the possibility of violent death was staring them in the face, and not some theoretical idea for them to talk about at cocktail parties...
    I've heard same, almost exactly word for word.
    They are all from persons who have been put to no test at all, and most often dreamer types who refuse to acknowledge that not every dog from every block wants to sniff butts and play.

To each their own.

My life is valuable as is that of my family.
    If those people and their own families lives are not then hey thats fine with me. When the bear comes I'll remember as much and won't feel bad nor think twice toward pushing them into it's path as me & mine make our escape stage left.
    I'll be sure though to send a card expressing our appreciation to his funeral and widow or momma. With any luck it'll be an open casket service.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I understand their problem.

If a bad guy tries to kill me, I won't want to shoot him.

So I would probably do a couple of warning shots first: two to center mass. If he wasn't "warned" enough then, I would follow with a third warning shot to the head.

Seriously, I have had a similar conversation with an older guy (mid 70's) who seems to believe that when bad stuff happens to people, they brought in on themselves.

He is adamantly against guns and can't vision himself ever harming anyone for any reason.

He once said that he has gone 75 years without ever being assaulted and sees no reason to believe that he will be assaulted now.

Can't argue with the guy. His head is so far in the sand that he can't hear reason.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Is this a deep seeded religious belief by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Scheetz View Post

I asked this guy what the hell is wrong with him. That he would rather let a man/woman kill him then fight back! If thats how he wants to live his life so be it. But good lord, I would never lay on the ground and watch my life taken from me by some BG.

Does this take Sheep to a new level?

Was the person a priest for example? If not, would they sit by and watch a loved one be murdered too? I too wonder if when faced with death if some survival mode wouldn't kick in. Ask him if we can experiment with him.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Buddhist?
    Jain?
    Or just a pothead?

Sounds like some highschool stoner grew up and started taking the fluffy karma stuff WAY too seriously, ended up with a yellow streak where he thought he had a tolerant side.

I used to be peaceful, that was when I was English in England and I had no choice to be anything other than a passive participant in whatever happened to me.
    Now I am an American in America and I'm proactively involved in my own destiny, longevity, sanity and integrity.

If someone tries to take my life they are going down so fast they won't have time to notice.

I would myself rather die than to see any harm come to my wife and children, or anyone that I have the means to keep from harm. But that doesn't mean I would go down with out a fight!

Try to take my most valuable possesion (my life) and you'll know you were in a fight if you succeed!!

Thanks
    MikeV

So do we believe in survival / self-preservation at all cost?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    So do we believe in survival / self-preservation at all cost?

Ahhh Tricky question! Good! No, I don't think we believe 100% survival / self-preservation, specially parents that would not think twice on laying their lives to save their children. But what we do is to prepare so that option does not happen or its chances of happening are greatly reduced. We believe that having the means for self defense gives us (me, my family) a better chance of surviving than not being armed/prepared.

IE: A Parent will gladly give up the las parachute in order for his kid to survive an inminent plane crash. Also, the same parent must be ready to take the life of a predator that threatens him/her and kids.

I hope I am making sense.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    I would myself rather die than to see any harm come to my wife and children, or anyone that I have the means to keep from harm. But that doesn't mean I would go down with out a fight!
    +1. Whoever said the thread starting quote must not have kids!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I'd rather be killed than take another life any day, no matter how tortured they are. Perhaps not a popular view, but it's mine.
    There's really no reasoning with an individual who has that belief, because it's not rational. Numerous sects have taken the completely pacifistic approach and are unshakable in it. If one truly believes that their "immortal soul" depends upon complete pacifism, then they won't really care much about mundane threats. Gandhi's pacifism, for example.

I tend to agree with OPFOR, that most declared pacifists are just untried, and would change their tune quickly if confronted with a real threat. These are the same types who declare "violence never solves anything." They should ask the current king of Carthage, or the latest fuehrer of Nazi Germany, or the recently elected president of the Confederate States of America.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links