POSTED Gunshop?

This is a discussion on POSTED Gunshop? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am with you guys, spend your money elsewhere. If there is a problem with a few people than deal with them at the time. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POSTED Gunshop?

I am with you guys, spend your money elsewhere. If there is a problem with a few people than deal with them at the time. No need to punish all for a few. We are not in grade school anymore.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

There's a gunshop in SpringHill that says No Concealed Guns except for CCW Permit holders.

I've talked to several owners over the years and they all tell a story about the unloaded gun that someone carried in to trade or sell. When that happens, be prepared to duck!!! I'm always a little leery when I see people looking at guns in an unsafe manner. I don't trust a gun to be unloaded unless I see it cleared properly, or I do it myself...
    Tony

Just stop shopping there and make it clear why. If enough people do it...they get the hint or they go out of business. Simple economics.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have only seen one gun shop that was posted no carry, Knights Shooting in Clearwater, FL, and I refused to even step foot in the shop.
    That is a fine way to loose business in a hurry if you ask me.
    Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

"Fixed, immovable target with high-value items, cash and and unarmed staff wishes to notify all BG's in the immediate and surrounding areas of the nightly encounter group held at this location immediately prior to closing time. By the way, please respect our wishes and keep your firearms at home."

Might was well change the sign to something like this (above). It would be more truthful.

That said, one of the more-popular shops in the state, here, is posted "No loaded firearms, except for on-duty LEOs." Business is booming. Needless to say, I've voiced my opinion ... and I go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    I've talked to several owners over the years and they all tell a story about the unloaded gun that someone carried in to trade or sell.
    That's easily cured by demanding that Staff unload all weapons, by keeping zip-ties on all weapons in the counter/displays, etc. A shop need not infringe upon the rights and safety of its clientele to do business. It can remain safe and honorable. It just takes a bit of work.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    My favorite gunstore has a sign on the door, it says " please remove ski mask and unload weapon before entering!". I was in Cabelas in Phoenix last weekend, not posted however, when I asked if I could try my gun in a holster, I was politely told no. the clerk asked that I keep my gun under wraps, and he would get one from the case for me to use. Cool by me, as I can imagine that they don't want people waving thier loaded guns around in the store.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Here's a similar intelligent policy I encountered recently. A couple of attorneys decided to open a gun shop downtown. They have put up a "No loaded guns allowed" sign. Naturally I take afront at this behavior and inquire. I am told they fear NDs. Well, I'm thinking I gotta make a point.

I returned a few weeks later and let them see I was carrying. As expected an employee at the counter spotted me, thought my pistol would go off due to my careless cleaning kit browsing and yelled out across the store, "Is that handgun unloaded." My response was, "Sign says it supposed to be."

Poor clerk looked stunned, so I went up to the counter and asked why he needed to know if my pistol was unloaded. He replied the policy really didn't apply to me, just to the folks who wanted to sell firearms to the store? I couldn't think of a quick snappy comeback, so I gave him a quizzical look and left.

I haven't been back since, don't really plan on it. Maybe one day they will wake up. I doubt it.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    My favorite gunstore has a sign on the door, it says " please remove ski mask and unload weapon before entering!". I was in Cabelas in Phoenix last weekend, not posted however, when I asked if I could try my gun in a holster, I was politely told no. the clerk asked that I keep my gun under wraps, and he would get one from the case for me to use. Cool by me, as I can imagine that they don't want people waving thier loaded guns around in the store.

I can understand that. I really would like it that way. The gunshop in Inverness doesn't mind if you CCW, but leave it in the holster and concealed. Nothing scarier than someone pulling a gun and waving it around. As a matter of fact, one shop that I've visited said "If I don't know you and you pull a gun in here, prepare to be shot!". Or something to that effect....
    Tony

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    been in that store , used to live in greeneville tn. Other places have better prices anyway. You are not missing much there trust me.

They would not get my business!! Steve48

I dont believe I would be sharing any of my folding "Green Dollars" with any establishment like this one.
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

me [OP]
    I understand their fear of ND but still find it rediculous. My friend and I had been to 2 other gunshops that day killing time and looking for a holster he likes (CHL on the way). We took that gun in a case with an empty mag (full one in a pocket) and slide locked back to the other shops. Found one holster he wanted to see if it fit the way he wanted and the young lady at the counter allowed us to try it. Opened the case, slide was open allowed her to visually verify and went on our way.

I have heard some of the gun shop stories on here but I will not give them my business.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Call them up every time you buy guns, ammo, or whatever at another shop. If they can see how much money 'stupid' costs them, they might change their minds.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Have heard there is a posted shop in or near Akron (OH), don't recall the name off hand, but I would take my business elsewhere as well.

Now having said that, I can understand (some of) the logic behind shops posting, for instance the idjits (as mentioned ) who will pull out a loaded gun to try out holsters, or ask how much the shop would buy it for while waving it around etc...

I don't recall the exact wording, but one shop I was in had a sign posted that essentialy said, "If you want to try a holster, bring the gun in it's case unloaded and carry your back-up"......It went on to say "If you don't have a back-up, we'd be happy to sell you one"

If they had the same model as your's, they were also more then willing to take it out their display case to let you use it to fit to holsters.

Personally I don't have a problem with a shop having a "keep it out of your hand if it's loaded" policy, just don't care for those with a "don't carry in here at all" policy.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Shop owners post for the same reason that most police depts qualify on square cold ranges , and the mil wont allow loaded rifles when issued . Many gun owners /users are idiots , there i said it . You try and keep all safe since beatings and executions for such things as stupid gun handeling have gone out of style . If you cannot work behind the counter of a gun store , try a bit of that " loafing " that we all dont like there , over a weekend you will see things that chill the blood with what folks want , or even do with guns . For myself i respect the signs , unloading my waist gun and stowing it into my vehicle before i enter , usually in plain sight out the front window of said shop . Hey it makes them feel better , and it makes me feel better that some idiot most likely wont do stupid stuff . I should note tho that in my home state , and in states i normaly visit a sign has little legal impact it can be taken as a suggestion for the owners peace of mind .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links