POSTED Gunshop?

This is a discussion on POSTED Gunshop? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rotorflyr I don't recall the exact wording, but one shop I was in had a sign posted that essentialy said, "If you ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POSTED Gunshop?

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    I don't recall the exact wording, but one shop I was in had a sign posted that essentialy said, "If you want to try a holster, bring the gun in it's case unloaded and carry your back-up"......It went on to say "If you don't have a back-up, we'd be happy to sell you one"
    I would have been perfectly fine with this. I wont draw my holstered weapon unless I plan to use it. If I take my primary to a shop for some reason it will be unloaded and shown clear (through the orange chamber indicator). I will carry my BUG until I leave the shop and my primary is ready to go hot. If the store would like (Big box) they can even sticker my weapon to show it is mine and clear. I have done this from time to time but my bug is carried.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    You try and keep all safe since beatings and executions for such things as stupid gun handeling have gone out of style .
    When do we get to bring the beatings back?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Yes, beatings. Preferably with a hose.

Out of all the gun shops I've gone to around here only one doesn't have big signs saying no loaded weapons/no carry. It is also the only one where the people are nice. Its an hour away but thats where I go now.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    That's one of the most moronic things I've heard all week!

That would be like a clothing store banning you from wearing clothes inside their store.

Duh.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    None of the gunstores (all 2 of them) around here allow you to carry inside. One is a real pain about it, the other is more of a don't ask dont tell kind of place, but still bothersome that they post it. I asked them once and they mentioned something about ND and extra insurance costs, which may be nothing more than smoke and mirrors but I dont know.

Soon as I can find a shop that does not restrict legal CCers then I will only go there. As is I go to the one that is nicer about it at least.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    A gunshop is one of the few places I can understand wanting to post a sign. People do stupid things, and a gunstore is one place where these people will decide to pull their gun out and do the stupid things.

I don't know any people that work in gunstores that haven't been swept by countless patrons while they were wanting service on a weapon or some sort of accessory. If I owned a gunstore there would be a clear sign telling people that CCW was fine but not to leave the holster unless it was to be used in self defense.

As far as infringing on your rights- it isn't. Their private property rights dictate that they can say who can, and cannot, be on their property. I happen to be one of the people that they say cannot.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Congrats on refusing to spend money there. One of our local pawn shop/gunshops sold out recently. He did more guns, archery, & gear than pawn. First thing the new owners did was discontinue handguns because they used in crime.
    I know 2 of us that stopped there to tell them we would no longer be spending money in their shop.
    Never many cars there now & it used to be a gathering place.
    I guess others have done the same.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Where I live, all the gun shops I have been to do not have signs that specifically prohibit the carrying of handguns in holsters, open or concealed. I know one Tactical place I visit often has a sign that says "All carried handguns must remain in a holster." Which makes sense to me. I love this state so much!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Gander Mountain in Merrillville, Indiana sells guns. Despite that, if they think you are carrying, they will demand you empty your gun.

Also, if you buy a gun from them, they do not tell you that they insist on a 10 day waiting period before they will let you have it, even though state law only requires a 3 day wait if the State Police do not OK the sale immediately. If the State Police clear you immediately, there is no waiting period. You walk out with the gun immediately.

Needless to say, Gander Mtn. no longer gets any sporting goods money from me.

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Gander Mountain in Merrillville, Indiana sells guns. Despite that, if they think you are carrying, they will demand you empty your gun.

Also, if you buy a gun from them, they do not tell you that they insist on a 10 day waiting period before they will let you have it, even though state law only requires a 3 day wait if the State Police do not OK the sale immediately. If the State Police clear you immediately, there is no waiting period. You walk out with the gun immediately.

Needless to say, Gander Mtn. no longer gets any sporting goods money from me.
    WOW, I bought my last gun at Gander Mountain in Pittsburgh and it was nothing like this, Buy and Go. They did walk me to the front of the store to which I commented to the guy that it was funny he could not give me my gun and ammo and let me leave even though I had a .38 already on my hip.

He said Yeah but it's a stupid policy so i do it anyway.
    Mark

-James Earl Jones

New Member Array revolver justice's Avatar
    I was at the Mahoney's in Abingdon about a week ago and they had the place posted. The man at the cash register said the owner didn't trust people who were not cops. Needless to say I left and I won't be back till they change the policy. Till then I will go to Crouse's in Chilhowie. It is at Exit 35 on I-81, these guys are good people and are easy to work with. Their prices are a little high but I will overlook that because of the service and the good supply of used S&W revolvers they normally have.

There's a shop here in Flagstaff that's posted "Guns must be unloaded before entering". The employees all carry though.
    It's not a huge deal to drop the mag from my CCW before I go in there, but it kinda defeats the purpose of being "prepared".
    The other shop in town is NOT posted at all, but he charges 15-20% more on almost everything.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like a gun shop that is 'ripe for robbing'...

No guns, no money...no problem!

The gun shops I frequent have no such signs...the staff all carry...some openly/some concealed!

I would be heading for cover if someone attempted to rob the gun shop in my 'neck of the woods'...(The BG would find that drinking a glass of water may be a real challenge after making such an attempt...mental picture of cartoon character with 27 body holes and water leaking everywhere...)

Stay armed...find a new gun shop...stay safe!

OMO

ret
    Really, in Central Florida??? Guess you haven't been to either Shoot Straight... In Apopka or Cassleberry...

Not that I haven't carried concealed to shoot on their ranges, but they'll check the pistols in your range bag and make sure they're cleared. I've ALWAYS reloaded and stowed my CCW before leaving and, if they saw me or not, at least they never said anything, but I tried to be discreet about it, too. Makes no sense to get "jacked" leaving a gun store with everything "cold". There was a story recently about two guys that were followed home in Florida from a "cold" range and robbed of their firearms in their own driveway! There was another story about people being shot and killed at outdoor ranges in FL for their firearms, and one even had their car stolen.

But, both popular stores are posted "No loaded guns". Even for CCW'ers. I know...I asked when I lived there. But, things may have changed since early last year...
    Last edited by fludy12; May 30th, 2007 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    There's a shop here in Flagstaff that's posted "Guns must be unloaded before entering". The employees all carry though.
    It's not a huge deal to drop the mag from my CCW before I go in there, but it kinda defeats the purpose of being "prepared".
    The other shop in town is NOT posted at all, but he charges 15-20% more on almost everything.
    Dropping the mag isn't unloading, even with a magazine disconnect.

Anyway, how's that BP workin' out for ya?

I used my G19 last time at Gunsite, but I'll be using the BP Pro next time!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links