Bullet proof windbreaker

This is a discussion on Bullet proof windbreaker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone else out there wear a bulletproof jacket or vest off duty. I'm not talking about the obvious bp vest but ones that look ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet proof windbreaker

Bullet proof windbreaker

Does anyone else out there wear a bulletproof jacket or vest off duty. I'm not talking about the obvious bp vest but ones that look like regular windbreakers or down vest.
    We all talk about having to respond to a BG, but what provisions do we take to provide us an opportunity to draw and respond? If the BG shoots first and hits us, how do we respond? We have to be able to stay in the game in order to win.
    Obviously they are appropriate only in cooler weather and climates. But in Iowa we have plenty of that. Isn't wearing one of them just another step in being prepared?
    Then again I could be wrong.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    If you wish to , go for it. Yes, its a good idea. practical? Guess you need to decide.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm not a LEO, but personally I doubt I would wear one off duty if I were a LEO. They are way too bulky for my lifestyle. If they were constructed thin as an undershirt, maybe.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Do you live and/or work in that crime ridden of an area? Seems a little over the top to me. You could be completely covered in Kevlar but if a BG walks up behind you and pops a cap in your noggin it was a waste of money, wasn't it? I prefer practicing good situational awareness so as to avoid those situations if possible. I think that would serve you better in the long run.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Smile Clarification on the vest

Just so everyone has a better idea of the what I'm talking about go to BulletProofme.com and take a look at the windbreaker and vest on the site.
    Last edited by Stormtruck2; May 23rd, 2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: not good speeling. lol
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Interesting. I hate wearing a jacket or coat, so I'd get little use out of it personally. Is it practical? A lot of folks say its unpractical to carry a gun. I think it is unpractical for joe civilian to strap on his primary gun, 2 extra mags for it, his backup gun, a light and pepper spray. Lots of guys dot though, and it works for them.
    If you'll wear it, can afford it, and won't use it as an excuse to carry a bigger attitude or take any risk you wouldn't take without it, then it can't be a bad idea.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a " few " vests left over from my LE days ( in small depts back when we had to buy our own ) . I have to say that I only keep them to remind myself i dont have to wear them anymore . Heck i can unpack down to them in the drawer they are stored in and just look at them sweaty hot suckers , Not wearing them today brings a grin to my face every time .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Way over-the-top imo.

Why not walk around in full riot gear? You never know when a riot will break out!!

I believe there is a difference between being prepared and being paranoid. Wearing a bulletproof vest all of the time falls into the latter of the two categories.

best offense is a good defense? Is it legal to wear full level 4 body armor or whatever? That'd be funny, especialy a helmet and full goggle

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I think it is unpractical for joe civilian to strap on his primary gun, 2 extra mags for it, his backup gun, a light and pepper spray. Lots of guys do though, and it works for them.
    My carry gun, holster, flashlight, extra 12 rd mag for the XD, and kel-tec add all of 5 pounds to my 275lb frame. I wear heavier boots than that in the winter; I don't feel it's excessive. Excessive would be carrying a Glock 17 on each hip, Glock 26's on each ankle, three spare 33 round magazines, two flashlights, two knives, duct tape, a leatherman, and Macgyver all day.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    One thing I dont do is wear body armor off duty. I have delt with the balistic raincoats, windbreakers and vest for external wear, but always carried for throwing over a dignitary if necessary. However, Mas Ayoob highly recommends wearing your vest off duty mainly for the trama impact of auto accidents. If I'm correct he tells of an incident where he was involved in a MVA and he felt that his vest saved his bacon.

Now there is an option that you might look into. As a team medic, I tell folks there is basically three places they can get hit that your pretty screwed (atleast if I'm your medic on one of them). The first is you head, its iffy and unless you wear a kevlar helmet not much you can do, we live with that and were good with that. The second is your nutts. Sorry guys, your gonna be a eunuch, and bleed alot, LOL. Finally is your heart. It gets hit and your pretty much toast. Ocassionally someone gets lucky, but thats a vital organ that dosent take to high velocity impacts.

So the head it kinda out, the groin is difficult (but can be done if your that worried about it) but the heart is easy actually.

Both UC Comfort and I think its 5.11 (I know someone else is doing it but cant remember who right now) are designed to carry soft trama plates. UC Comfort makes a shirt designed just to carry the soft trama plate as well as the 3XH holster, and the other company makes a t-shirt to carry a soft trama plate (when I remember who I'll post it).

Now I like this idea, and am quite proud that I suggested it to Al and he took the ball and ran with it. Actually my t-shirt holsters that I use to make (before UC Comfort came along) all had soft trama plates in them. Reason whey is typically your facing your threat when your hit, and if you get center punched, the soft plate can stop a bullet.

So medically, yes you can die from being hit elsewhere, but the other areas are more survivable and medics today are well trained to deal with that.

One final note to non-LEOs. Using a vest when committing a felony is in alot of states a mandatory sentence. Wearing a vest and carrying a weapon is the same. I am NOT saying anyone out here would or plans on comitting a felony, but keep in mind, shisters dont always work for the defense/plaintifs, there are a few anti gun ones in the prosecution that will use you wearing a vest to jack you up to a double felony charge. Just something to think about, as it has happened before and the guy charged never even drew his weapon.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator
    They are not as thin and light as the picture looks. I have several vests, I wear two different ones on a daily basis. (no, I dont wear two at a time) One is a concealed vest, the other is an outer carrier type. Both are the best available, they are thin and light, but they are still hot sweaty and I cant wait to get them off at the end of the day.

Its an overkill for the average Joe, it will be a waste of money after you wear it for a day or two.
    "Just blame Sixto"

One word-uncomfortable. I can't wait to get out of mine at end of shift. Would never even think of it off duty. Way over the top.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    I'm heading out shooting tomorrow morning... maybe I'll take my old LEO level 3 vest and shoot it with some of my SD ammo just to see if it actually would have done the job if needed!

I sure wouldn't EVER want to wear it again!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Excessive would be carrying a Glock 17 on each hip, Glock 26's on each ankle, three spare 33 round magazines, two flashlights, two knives, duct tape, a leatherman, and Macgyver all day.

You mean not everyone does this ????

I am shocked.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links