Who started shooting - just bullseye?

This is a discussion on Who started shooting - just bullseye? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My earliest shooting days (in the Middle Ages ) were all bullseye - back in those days my hand was steady and my eyes were ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who started shooting - just bullseye?

Assistant Administrator

My earliest shooting days (in the Middle Ages ) were all bullseye - back in those days my hand was steady and my eyes were better - way better.

As a result tho I found a considerable need to readjust and change - to better get into combat type disciplines. My competition time with practical did help a lot and since I have carried these last five years and more, I have almost got out of pure bullseye approach.

With one exception - even now I close one eye and it seems nothing I try will break the habit!! We have discussed one eye/two eyes so that is something that has been covered before but - the art of fast and accurate shooting is I believe something harder to get hold of - if bullseye was the starting point in a long shooting career.

Much is the requirement for building a ''muscle memory'', based on (IMO) a consistent carry method, plus - a hopefully consistent manual of arms for the carry gun. Bullseye is not for CCW
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Bullseye is not for CCW
    I was just gonna remind you of that very subject. Just ain't got the time to close one eye and aim, whilst in the heat of close up battle.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Lead Moderator
    I did, but I was still young (15) then. My PD instructor broke me of bringing the gun down on target pretty quick too. I used to shoot .22 , air pistol as well as rifle comps too.
    It just seems to take someone else helping ya remember (at least for me) and lots of pushups.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I shot bullseye for several years before Kansas had CCW. Now I've been taking defensive shooting courses where my instructors are working hard to help me break the habit. Even after just a few short years, it's still difficult to stop...
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

I shoot small targets about the size of paper plates set up at variuos heights and distances. move and shoot. Laterally, retreating, and advancing. I also set up concealment and cover and use that as well. I not only get a work out, I improve my move and shoot skills. The object not to hit the bullseye but to put three rounds on target while moving. A lot harder than it looks and I am sure a lot harder under the threat of physical harm as well. I can only train so that in that unfortunate situation my training instincts kick in.

Lead Moderator
    The biggest problem I had going from YEARS of bullseye to "regular" shooting is remembering that I could now use BOTH hands!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Its a bad habit to break but going from Bullseye to Action Pistol has cured me of that. Steve48

sounds like someone is rationalizing ;)

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    My earliest shooting days (in the Middle Ages ) were all bullseye - back in those days my hand was steady and my eyes were better - way better.
    Got to agree that my early years were filled with bullseye target practice. So were my middle years. In my fifties now -- what's that make me, I haven't yet figured.

As a result tho I found a considerable need to readjust and change - to better get into combat type disciplines. My competition time with practical did help a lot and since I have carried these last five years and more, I have almost got out of pure bullseye approach.
    I realized while doing occassional IDPA shoots I had to make some changes. There was no time to aim the bullseye way! I have had PA permit to carry since around 1975 or so, but only began to actually carry seriously for the past couple of years. Now I practically wear the steel and alloy to bed!

With one exception - even now I close one eye and it seems nothing I try will break the habit!! We have discussed one eye/two eyes so that is something that has been covered before but - the art of fast and accurate shooting is I believe something harder to get hold of - if bullseye was the starting point in a long shooting career.
    I haven't had an eye issue. Maybe my dominant eye is such that it was no big deal to keep the non-dominant open. (?)

Much is the requirement for building a ''muscle memory'', based on (IMO) a consistent carry method, plus - a hopefully consistent manual of arms for the carry gun. Bullseye is not for CCW
    I have taken a Level II defensive pistol course and can attest to the muscle memory concept being an essential ingredient, if not THE essential ingredient, in developing new reflexive patterns of behavior. To break the old in favor of the new habit, practice, practice, practice. Most of the practice can be done at home, empty gun, dry or no fire. Over. And over. And over, again.

I know of people who still only do bullseye type shooting and have their CHL. I keep trying to get them to come to an IDPA match with me and try out some "real life" skills. If nothing else, they might realize that bullseye type shooting doesn't translate to real world shooting. The problem is that they don't seem to care that shooting at an indoor range with a target at the same height and distance with proper lighting won't help them if someone comes in and starts shooting up the store. They know it but they just don't care. Those are the people that almost scare me.

And this is at the local gun shop.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    The problem is that they don't seem to care that shooting at an indoor range with a target at the same height and distance with proper lighting won't help them if someone comes in and starts shooting up the store.
    I don't really buy that argument. I think it is important to get proper training and to practice regularly. But, as a Marine we went to the range and shot targets that were at the same height, not moving, and at a known distance. I don't think the Marine Corps has had too many problems with people not being able to take that marksmanship training and apply it to the real world of gun fights.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I don't really buy that argument. I think it is important to get proper training and to practice regularly. But, as a Marine we went to the range and shot targets that were at the same height, not moving, and at a known distance. I don't think the Marine Corps has had too many problems with people not being able to take that marksmanship training and apply it to the real world of gun fights.
    But that isn't the only thing they do. And they get much more training.

I'm not saying that learning the basics of marksmanship is bad. it is a good thing. I periodically go to a range and brush up on them. But bullseye shooting doesn't help for reloading, clearing malfunctions, shooting on the move, using concealment/cover, shooting at multiple targets and other skills that i feel are necessary for potential real world situations. Even IDPA and ISPC doesn't help for some of these skills. but it is better than nothing.

I have shot bullseye my whole life (Forty some odd years) About 3 years ago I got my CCW I went to a pretty good range took there 14 hour course. They taught me more about defensive shooting in that 14 hours than I had learned in my whole life. Since then, I have taken numerous defensive carry courses. I shoot IDPA, steel and bowling pins. I am usually in the top 5 at these shooting events. Muscle memory is everything practice practice practice. Most of my friends are still into bullseye shooting, they just don't get it. Almost all of them have CCW's. They think because they can hit a bullseye from a bench, that when the SHTF everything will work out for the best. I hope so for there sake but i"m not going to leave anything to chance!!!!
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

I started my shooting by shooting bullseye in the early sixties. At that time I was steady, didn't need glasses, and had a reasonable memory. Not to brag, but I was pretty dang good.

I stopped shooting completely (never touched a gun) for over forty years.

I picked shooting up again about two years ago, but this time purely for protection.

Now I'm not as steady, I wear trifocals, and can't remember which end the bullet comes out. Even so, I haven't had a lot of trouble learning defensive shooting. The basics; grip, trigger pull, sighting, etc. are pretty much the same. Shooting two-handed helps with the steadiness problem, and a laser helps with the seeing problem. Unfortunately, I haven't found a help for the memory problem. Oh well, two out of three ain't too bad! Now where was I? Oh yeh...

Bullseye shooting is mainly for accuracy. Basically, trying to make one hole under near perfect conditions.

Defensive shooting is a compromise between speed and accuracy. Basically, trying to hit COM multiple times as fast as possible under less than perfect circumstances.

What makes it fairly easy is; the tool is the same, so you don't have to learn that too much. What has to be learned pretty much as new is the application. And just as in bullseye shooting, all defensive shooting takes is -- practice, practice, practice.

I think my forty-year hiatus helped to overcome the bullseye mentality.
    Last edited by Bob O; May 24th, 2007 at 10:23 PM.

Even at most indoor ranges one can practice point shooting, double taps, single hand and off-hand shooting. It's better than always using pefect form and breath control at least.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links