LEO encounters, "3rd party" permit?

This is a discussion on LEO encounters, "3rd party" permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Say you live in Nevada. You have CCW permits from Nevada and Utah. You are visiting Washington, which does not honor the permit from your ...

Thread: LEO encounters, "3rd party" permit?

LEO encounters, "3rd party" permit?

Say you live in Nevada. You have CCW permits from Nevada and Utah. You are visiting Washington, which does not honor the permit from your home state of NV, but does honor the Utah permit. IOW, the permit granting you carry "privileges" is from neither your home state, nor the state you are visiting.

Has anyone had any contact with law enforcement under similar circumstances? Any problems?

Thanks.

SSKC

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    LEO contact? No - not as yet.

However I see this as no different from me being in, say - Texas. (My PA CCW is actually now I believe Ok there but was not before.) So if when in TX I had had my FL permit, which now I do have - I would have regarded my cover as being good - providing I was following the TX code of carry.

Main thing I think is important is - not only knowing in detail the ''do's and don'ts'' in a state but - even having printed material with you to show a cop, in case he is unaware of the reciprocity aspects.

The FL permit is a non-res - which does not actually get accepted in MI or NH unless the holder is actually FL resident. It would always be worth checking for any given state of course - and I notice FL permit no good in WA!

Packing.org probably a good place to start checking, as well as NRA site.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I looked at "Packing," and in theory your scenario and mine should both be legal. Reality, however, sometimes differs. That's why I wondered if anyone had real experience, and if there were any snags.

SSKC

Assistant Administrator
    Hopefully SSKC ... someone will drop by with more direct info - ideally of course, matching your parameters!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for your input, P95. I fear, though, that this group is so level-headed that none of us deal with law enforcement that often. (Can you say "Responsible citizens?") I may have to post the question on the BlackPlasticPistoldotCom site to get some action. Seems like they have a lot of LEO encounters over there.

SSKC

PS. I have nothing against Glocks, and I visit that forum from time to time. Just poking a little fun. Hope there are no "offend-ees."

VIP Member
    Hey, I own several tupperware guns. However my last LEO encounter for business was 18 months ago and it was in state.

I'm guessing we're a more "mature" group on avergae than you find on the other site you mentioned. Tupperware is popular with the younger group.

Talking with the LEOs I'm acquainted with they tell me that they get a "bulletin" whenever a new state is added for recognition. So they are "supposed" to know if you are ok.

A guy who works at the local gun emporium was headed to an out of state IDPA shoot and was stopped at one of those License & Registration checkpoints. The LEO didn't know if he was legal or not, but he showed his VA permit and told him he was legal. The LEO was ok with that. YMMV. When I carry out of state I usually go to that state's State Police website and print off the reciprocity info just in case. Hopefully it will at least get the LEO to call versus arrest if they aren't sure.

-Scott-

Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    Say you live in Nevada. You have CCW permits from Nevada and Utah. You are visiting Washington, which does not honor the permit from your home state of NV, but does honor the Utah permit. IOW, the permit granting you carry "privileges" is from neither your home state, nor the state you are visiting.

Has anyone had any contact with law enforcement under similar circumstances? Any problems?

Thanks.

SSKC
    I don't travel enough to make non-resident permits worth the trouble, effort and expense, right now. If it were me, I would copy the relevant sections of State code and keep them with me during my travels. Washington appears to recognize non-resident Utah permits, so you would be covered in your scenario. Being able to cite and show relevant sections of State code would bolster your position with skeptical LEO's.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Check out Packing.org They have listings of all the states, reciprocity issues, and phone numbers of each states governmental departments that handle the laws involved. They also have a very well run message board that can answer most any issue or question.
    Death and taxes..... need i say any more?

Quote Originally Posted by SSKC

Thanks.

SSKC
    i will tell you what i was told previously, i had an LEo ell me when i was in South Carolina that it can vary from month to month and year to year if a state will honor your permit. i was told to call what ever office handles issuing permits in each state and i think you can even look it up online for some states what permits they will and won't honor. as a LEO myself (now) i still keep my permit up and fall under the new homeland security bill for LEO's, i still call before i travel and ask each state i plan to visit to make sure and to be safe. i know it is not much... hope it can help!

Links