What's going on in Kansas?

This is a discussion on What's going on in Kansas? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I left Wichita at the very end of 2003. Raytheon Aircraft still in a downward spiral, so I made the jump to automotive in Ohio. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's going on in Kansas?

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I left Wichita at the very end of 2003.

Raytheon Aircraft still in a downward spiral, so I made the jump to automotive in Ohio. Going to work for the Japanese was the right career move.

The far east side of Wichita (east of Rock Road) was very nice, and that is where I lived and worked. But the scumbags knew it, therefore we got the Carr *spit* brothers. Sounds like their likes are just getting worse.

I still have lots of friends there, but looks like I won't be visiting unless Kansas expands its reciprocity to Ohio as KS does not extend reciprocity to those with NR licenses.

2. Remove Ads

The Carr brothers! LOL! I hadn't heard about those scuz since we left Wichita in 1991! Or was that the Trotter brothers over in Crestview CC?

We grew up in KS, lived in Lawrence four years for the obligatory "liberal youth education period", then Wichita for 12 years. It was a great family community then, but the airframe melt-down and oil & gas industry melt-downs at the same time seemed to seal its doom. Sad.

The River Festival used to be a great family event. Sorry to hear its spiraled downhill......

KS was once a stable, quiet state with a hardworking people that minded their own business. Now its full of some vocal folks that stand on propositions that make it a laughing stock of the rest of the country, which is fine, but they want to dictate their views on everyone else. Combined with a Liberal anti-gun Gov , and small state problems, it's not the state I grew up in. Sad.

We still have family there, and haven't really heard too much bad or crazy, but Wichita did have bad areas, just as any city does. It is heartening that the state adopted CC, and is pushing harder to make it a stronger CC state - that is positive!

Go Jayhawks!

Rock & Glock, you must be talking about the Trotter Brothers if you left in 91.

The Carrs did their heinous crimes in December of 2000.

Their brutality turned me from one who viewed firearms as primarily sporting goods to one who considers firearms to be weapons whose main purpose is defense from animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Rock & Glock, you must be talking about the Trotter Brothers if you left in 91.

The Carrs did their heinous crimes in December of 2000.

Their brutality turned me from one who viewed firearms as primarily sporting goods to one who considers firearms to be weapons whose main purpose is defense from animals.
    Yea - It was the Trotters in 1991 and before! The "Carr brothers" rang a bell too - so I ran the archives and found their 2000 crime spree. I was only a bit further south and knew I'd heard something about that - just didn't remember the details. The reports and archives on the Carrs - heinous crime reports - that was no laughing matter. My apologies for my confusion. Are the Carr Brothers still awaiting the death penalty?

R&G, I don't know if the two scumbag brothers are still on death row.

I do know Lucifer is prepping an extra hot spot for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    R&G, I don't know if the two scumbag brothers are still on death row.

I do know Lucifer is prepping an extra hot spot for them.
    Deservedly....in eternity!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I would hope that every store that posts a "no guns allowed" sign would hire armed guards.
    Unless things have changed, those were generally off-duty WPD.

Stay away from RiverFest. Bangers settle up. Fights get started over the CoverGirls girls. Random assaults by drunk a-holes. Lots of spiked drinks. Muggings off-n-on. Statistically, most people have a good time with no problem, but the odds of being at the wrong place at the wrong time are astronomical.

The more "liberal" Kansas communities are mostly anti-gun. This includes Wichita, the K.C. area, and any community with a large University such as Lawrence, (Univ Of Kansas), and Hays,(Fort Hays State Univ.) I'm not sure about Manhattan. (K State.)

There used to be a rifle in the rack in every pickup in the state, even pickups parked at the High Schools. The Clutter Family murders probably just increased gun sales.

It was a prototype of traditional values. Take care of you and yours, do the right thing, work hard, and stay out of trouble.

It had been a harsh environment during the period of Manifest Destiny, and another 100 years didn't soften it much. My wifes mother didn't get electricity on the farm until the '50's. No phones until the early 60's, and then party lines.

The last 50 years have softened it - too much. It's too easy to get "What you want", what the media says you deserve, or what your neighbors have. Personal responsibility is in short supply in some parts apparently.

It's a state of contradictions. A liberal Gov, a conservative population. Densely packed urban areas full of typical city malaise, rural areas with nary a cow almost.

I'm still in awe of the sky though - the biggest darn sky I've ever seen - even compared to west Texas. The stars at night are bright and clear. The scariest darn thunderstorms I've ever seen. What a state.

It'll survive in its own way. CC will survive and flourish. Kansans are really westerners, and won't give up their guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I'm still in awe of the sky though - the biggest darn sky I've ever seen - even compared to west Texas. The stars at night are bright and clear. The scariest darn thunderstorms I've ever seen. What a state.

It'll survive in its own way. CC will survive and flourish. Kansans are really westerners, and won't give up their guns.
    +1

I've lived in Puerto Rico (born there), Maryland, Florida, New York, California, Hawaii, Washington St., Kansas, and now Ohio.

I honestly have to say that Kansas felt the most like where I belong. In fact, outside of my boyhood home, the longest stretch of my adult life in one place was in Kansas.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    CCW seems to be alive and well in KS with the exception of Lawrence. I have not been to Wichita, I have lived in KS for 23 years no reason to go there.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

So I live in the Johnson County and there are no problems here with CCW. There are a few places posted but not many at all. So far....so good. Even Leawood has seemed to fall in line.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    I will argee with most of what is printed here. My only comment is that Lawrence is THE MOST LIBRAL city in Kansas. I am surprised you did not see more signs there.

You know the old joke about Lawrence is that Quantrill made one mistake on his raid… He did not finish the job.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

VIP Member
    Maybe the Dalton Gang is back in town!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    The more "liberal" Kansas communities are mostly anti-gun. This includes Wichita, the K.C. area, and any community with a large University such as Lawrence, (Univ Of Kansas), and Hays,(Fort Hays State Univ.) I'm not sure about Manhattan. (K State.)
    It shouldn't surprise any of us that the worst crime problems are in these liberal cities.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links