What's going on in Kansas?

This is a discussion on What's going on in Kansas? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently made a trip to Lawrence, KS to see my son graduate from KU. While there we made a trip to Wichita to visit ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's going on in Kansas?

I recently made a trip to Lawrence, KS to see my son graduate from KU. While there we made a trip to Wichita to visit some elderly aunts. while in Wichita we went to 2 grocery stores and was amazed to see that both of these stores had armed guards greeting everyone as they walked into the store. The 2 stores that we went to were not in any bad neighborhood so I was wonering what gives? We also saw many "no guns allowed" signs posted. if fact many more than any place that I have traveled.

Would someone from Kansas give me their point of view on my observations. from what I saw it seems to me that the Kansas CCW law may be in jeopardy.

By the way, Lawrence had very few signs and no armed greeters???

Regards

Tim

It has been a long several years of in fighting with the legislature and the Governor. She was over ridden twice on CCW laws and the League of cities and municipalities tried to make their own laws concerning CCW. The 2nd overide was designed to take care of that. There has been a lot of murders in Wichita and lots of bad press for CCW holders and many "shop and robs" have used their own security. The first use of a firearm after the CCW law was passed was a Oklahoma man who was CCW holder that shot a robber in a convience store on his way back to Oklahoma. The new improved CCW laws make it standardized across the state. Steve48

Wichita was getting bad, when I left about 12 years ago. There are "bad" areas of town, but the wollyboogers pretty much have free-run, regardless of neighborhood. I worked EMS, and saw some "interesting" events. WCT seems to have a disproportionant level of latent violence. FWIW, I lived slightly less than 2 years in Harris County (Houston, TX), off 610 & Cavalcade, and I had "swivel-head" worse in Wichita the entire 6 years I was there.

Other than the ďliberalĒ cities CCW in KS seems to be doing pretty well. Thereís only a couple places in Leavenworth that have posted. That could be because we have a large military retiree population (I are one) and we have the largest percentage of CCW permits per capita, but thereís not a lot of signs here. I drove through some of the smaller farm towns and didnít see a single sign.

I think itís good to keep in mind that CCW here in KS is only 5 months old, it will take a little while longer for some of the ninnies to realize the old west showdown scenarios the liberals have been warning about, just arenít going to happen.

I think itís been the same in most states when they started CCW, it will be a while but I think the signs will start coming down or fading to the point you canít read them.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Wichita is not representative of the rest of the state. It is notoriously liberal, anti-gun, and... not too ironically, high crime.

I live in Johnson County, which is considered to be one of the more snooty parts of the Kansas City metro area, and I have seen only one sign so far, and that was at a bank.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

As others have stated; Wichita is not a good place to go to. I avoid it if at all possible. It does not suprise me that there are armed guards where it is you went.

As for Kanasas and CCW being in jeopardy; I just don't think that's going to happen. The law has been constantly having improvements being made; in fact, my brother is a deputy and he has mentioned how many changes, or notices of changes LEO's have received from the state.

Anyways, Wichita is not a healthy representation of Kansas in general, imo. I'm happy I'm not living there.
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    I live in Johnson County, which is considered to be one of the more snooty parts of the Kansas City metro area, and I have seen only one sign so far, and that was at a bank.
    Ya know, when I first transfered to Ft Leavenworth, one of the guys I duck hunted with accused me of being "one of those Johnson County" folks.

Took me about a year to figure out what he meant by it

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Concealed carry in Kansas is alive and doing quite well. Twice in the last 18 months, her highness, the gov. has had her vetos of CCW related items overturned. We are getting ready to start our 6th MONTH of having it here. There will always be growing pains with something new. Most parts of the state, you will see very few no carry signs. Wichita is in it's own little world. The politicians there are from the same molds that New York politicans came from. In my opinion, which is mine and not anyone else's, is that if they were going to give Kansas an enema, they would stick the tube into Wichita. Maybe in the future, people will vote the hammerheads out of office and get back into the game. My opinion.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Ya know, when I first transfered to Ft Leavenworth, one of the guys I duck hunted with accused me of being "one of those Johnson County" folks.

Took me about a year to figure out what he meant by it

Chuck
    It never made much sense to me that people would be derogative about me living in "the JO" just because it's a wealthy area. That doesn't mean I'm rich! It must just be jealousy. My girlfriend just moved here from Philadelphia, and she refers to Missouri as "the New Jersey of the Midwest" so I guess the barbs can go both ways...

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)

I did not realize that Kansas had concealed carry in effect. I just moved to OK from IL about 8 months ago and due to recent events I am signed up for my class and have my application ready to go. A friend that I work with here in OK just went to Wichita last week with his family for the big fair they have. He had walked to the car with his wife and two small kids and realized he had left his bag where they were sitting, on his way back to the car he was jumped by 7 gang members, he ran like hell. There were people all over, he ended up tripping and they beat him good, lucky for him someone stepped in and helped him. He actually has to have surgery because his nose got so messed up. He did nothing but walk past an alley they were standing in, neither of us realized what kind of things have been happening in Wichita. I signed up for my CCW class the day he called me.

Scott

I will argee with most of what is printed here. My only comment is that Lawrence is THE MOST LIBRAL city in Kansas. I am surprised you did not see more signs there.

We are going through some issues with the very new legislation here in Kansas but all in all it is looking good for the future. I think if you give it a year or two and visit our fine state again it will be a lot better.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post
    I did not realize that Kansas had concealed carry in effect. I just moved to OK from IL about 8 months ago and due to recent events I am signed up for my class and have my application ready to go. A friend that I work with here in OK just went to Wichita last week with his family for the big fair they have. He had walked to the car with his wife and two small kids and realized he had left his bag where they were sitting, on his way back to the car he was jumped by 7 gang members, he ran like hell. There were people all over, he ended up tripping and they beat him good, lucky for him someone stepped in and helped him. He actually has to have surgery because his nose got so messed up. He did nothing but walk past an alley they were standing in, neither of us realized what kind of things have been happening in Wichita. I signed up for my CCW class the day he called me.

Scott
    I am very sorry to hear that. I wish that we could have left a better impression on you but unfortunatly Wichita has become a "black eye" in some respects to our state. The River Festival is even worse than normal. Locals will tell you that the festival it is a terrible place to be and the city does their best to keep the crime down there quite.

Again sorry for his problems and I hope you visit our state again else where.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

The legislature, both house and senate, seem to have their stuff together on CCW. The only weak links are the Kansas League of Municipalities, and their minion... Kathleen Sebelius.

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    ...we went to 2 grocery stores and was amazed to see that both of these stores had armed guards greeting everyone as they walked into the store.

We also saw many "no guns allowed" signs posted.
    I would hope that every store that posts a "no guns allowed" sign would hire armed guards.

After all, if they're going to deprive us of the means to defend ourselves, it's only right that they assume that responsibility themselves....

Amen Sergeant!

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links