test of my concealment

Test of my concealment

This is a discussion on Test of my concealment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last weekend my Dad and I went on a trip to a professional conference and did some hiking. Now, I haven't told my Dad that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: test of my concealment

test of my concealment

Last weekend my Dad and I went on a trip to a professional conference and did some hiking. Now, I haven't told my Dad that I carry, and while I was prepared to discuss the subject with him if it came up on our trip, I wanted to avoid it if possible. I wouldn't say my Dad is an anti, but he's definitely not someone who understands why I'd carry a gun for self protection. Sooner or later the subject is going to come up, but I decided to use this trip as a test of my concealment, rather than an opportunity to have a talk about personal protection.

Of course, the problem we all face with testing our concealment is that we can only be sure that it doesn't work when someone lets us know they saw our weapon. If nobody says anything, there's no way to know whether our concealment works, or if they noticed, but are just being discreet. Knowing my Dad for almost thirty years, I can be pretty sure that if he noticed I was carrying a pistol, he would mention it.

So I carried for most of the trip (except when we were doing some hiking in a national park) and the question of why I was carrying a pistol never came up. Based on this, I have to conclude that my concealment is pretty good. I spent most of the time with my standard carry method (IWB holster at 3:00 with a open front cover garment). During the conference I felt I should dress a little more formally so I wore a polo shirt and went tuckable. This is probably where I was most nervous, since I rarely carry this way (only once before this trip, in fact), but once I got the shirt arraigned right, it didn't print too much (it would have taken me forever to get to my gun, but I figure having one that takes a while to bring into action is better than not carrying at all).

The biggest challenge of the trip was actually going in and out of the national park. This was less a matter of concealment than preplanning: making sure I'd have a good opportunity to get my pistol into a locked case before entering the park without my Dad noticing, while trying to remain armed as much as possible. Coming out was pretty much the reverse, finding an opportunity to rearm without arousing suspicion as soon as possible after I left the park. Bathrooms were good on both counts, though I had to come up with an excuse to take my backpack with me to the can. Of course, this would be much easier if they legalized national park carry.

Overall, it was a very nice trip: a good conference, great hiking and scenery, and I was able to remain armed as much as possible while keeping everyone else ignorant of that fact.

Blackeagle...Bad News...

Your dad just PM'd me asking for advice about how he should talk to you about CCW. He stated, that while on a hiking trip he noticed that his son had a gun under his shirt...he wanted advice on bringing up the subject....

Kidding, of course,...glad you felt comfortable. Most people don't even notice if someone else is CCW unless they CCW...only the sheepdogs would even think to look!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    It never ceases to amaze me how oblivious non-CCWers are. I've had instances where I was printing BAD, and didn't notice till I got back to my house. No one has ever even looked funny at me.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Of topic but still on concealment, or lack of.

I was getting ready to go to a meeting last week. I had a dress shirt on, tucked in and my OWB holster on with my Glock in place. I was going to put on a vest when I left the house. Meanwhile a friend of the family and his wife stopped by. They are not anti gun by any means as him and I have hunted together before. We stood on the porch and chatted a bit, then went to the garage to talk ATV's, then went back inside. Finaly I told him I had to go, so I grabbed my vest and put it on. He commented that it was not cold out why did I need a vest. I went ahead and pushed the vest back and pointed out my CCH. They were both completly un aware of it and it had been in plain view for the 15 minutes we had been talking. He went on to get details about applying for his own permit.

Point is the same as above, only the sheep dog even looks for it.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how oblivious non-CCWers are. I've had instances where I was printing BAD, and didn't notice till I got back to my house. No one has ever even looked funny at me.
    Agreed... Non-CCWerrs just don't get it, nor do they care unless you are flashing it around.

They assume everyone they meet and like is just like them (unarmed) and they would probably be shocked to find out differently.

They don't even know what to look for and even if they do see a bulge, they assume cell phone or anything else. The last on the list is a gun (usually).

Hopefully when you do talk about it with your father the outcome is good.

Pagers and cell phones can certainly can help conceal the fact that one is carrying concealed. I suppose it's a case of using whatever camouflage is at your disposal...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Absolutely correct!

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    Guns are the furthest thing from the mind of the vast majority of people. It is a non-issue to them. A non-issue at least until they find themselves in trouble and they need one. Then all of a sudden they wonder why they never thought of learning about guns.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Kompact9 View Post
    Pagers and cell phones can certainly can help conceal the fact that one is carrying concealed. I suppose it's a case of using whatever camouflage is at your disposal...
    I think for that very reason Black holsters are the way to go. If part of the holster shows or flashes than most just assume its one of a hundred things that they would expect there.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    It isn't just non-CCW people that don't notice. My mom is a retired cop. I could open carry around her every day and she would maybe notice once a week. A friend I've had since 5th grade that is currently a police officer. He was in my home about 2 weeks ago waiting for me to get ready- we were going on a road trip and to a couple of baseball games out of state. I had a Glock 23 IWB at 3:00 over a t-shirt and hadn't put on a cover shirt on yet. Since I was in a hurry I grabbed my bag and a shirt and headed for the door. He actually asked if I was going to bring my pistol, or if I was just going to assume his was good enough. When i pointed to my hip he seemed shocked that I had the gun and he hadn't noticed.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I carried a J Frame in a pocket holster for two weeks before my wife noticed it, and only then because the grip became visible while I was sitting.

For the vast majority of people who go about their lives oblivious to what's going on around them, which seems to be a greater and greater number of people nowadays, they wouldn't notice a bazooka strapped to your back walking through Walmart! "Did you see that guy carrying that piece of green PVC tubing on his back?" is about what you would get from most people. They just don't notice. Most people are far too concerned with getting where they are going in the shortest amount of time possible to possibly notice if someone was "printing" a handgun under their shirt.

It sounds like you had a fun weekend with your pops. He sounds very similar to my dad in terms of the gun deal. My parents know I carry but don't make a big stink about it since my position is 100% unwavering. When the time comes, and it will, I hope your dad can understand your reasons and accept your position. I'm sure he will. :)
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Good job Blackeagle!!!!! Some of you have expressed how only a Sheepdog will notice that's not entirely true the "WOLF" will notice also!
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

I was recently on my way out the door with my hands full. I stopped at the door when I realize I had left my keys on the counter. I asked my fiancee to grab my keys and put them in my pocket for me. I was carrying IWB about 2 o'clock, t-shirt un-tucked, covering my weapon. She lifted my shirt and put the keys in my pocket. Later that night, (I had been back home for a while) I got up to take out the trash. When I got back, I decided to get ready for bed. I pulled my pistol/holster out and put it away. My fiance snickered and asked, "Did you put that on just to take out the trash?!". She had actually lifted my shirt and not realized the gun was there. She is well aware I carry, but had no idea at the time. Just goes to show, most people haven't a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Guns are the furthest thing from the mind of the vast majority of people. It is a non-issue to them.
    This sums up NJ in a nutshell (literally). You can severely print here and no one thinks gun. Godd for me.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

A couple of years ago I was in my reloading/gun room with my brother-in-law talking about concealed carry guns.

He opined that a little Makarov that my wife had won in a raffle would be a good carry gun. I replied that it wouldn’t be my first choice. He responded by asking what I would choose. In response to his question, I pulled one of my full-sized 1911s from it’s storage holster on the inside of the safe door, and told him that I’d choose something like this. He replied that it would be much too big to carry concealed. I asked him if he’d ever seen me carrying that gun, or one like it. He replied that he hadn’t. My reply to him was, “it works, doesn’t it.”

I’ve been carrying a full-sized 1911 in an IWB holster on a daily basis for quite some time, and my bother-in-law has been nearby on many of these occasions. He never noticed. Even after my comment, he still didn’t realize that I’d been carrying that very gun in his presence on many occasions, and that he hadn’t realized it.

On another note, I have two adult sons who both carry, at my prompting, on a daily basis. We also practice defensive shooting techniques together – quite often in Blackeagle’s company, by the way – on a regular basis. It gives me peace of mind to know that, whenever they are with their daddies, my three little granddaughters are in the company of armed and trained bodyguards.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links