CHL Badges

This is a discussion on CHL Badges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are the people who market these kinds of things actually concealed carriers themselves? -JT...

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: CHL Badges

Are the people who market these kinds of things actually concealed carriers themselves?

-JT

2. Remove Ads

"Some off you just jump on the "bashing bandwagon" because it is rolling. And get way off topic from what the OP had intended."

Good Point (and I am guilty as charged)..

Back to the POINT...

Please let's hear from some LEOs .

If a CCW holder uses his weapon and is now standing by a downed BG who may not be totally disabled and placing his gun in holster or on the ground may not be smart if bad guy is still able to continue his actions, (he is veing held at bay by the weapon).

What would be the best way to let the law know the situation?? ??

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It may very well be negligent; but that someone is still dead.
    It is very sad if we do have many so poorly trained and who exercise such poor judgment. I simply do not believe that any LEO will just drive up, and see someone holding a gun and shoot when no gun is pointing at him.

I bet that no rules of engagement tell/permit one to do that. If you know a department that tells the officer it is OK to do it let me know.

PS. I admit that I am a CCW badge hater. :)

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    It is very sad if we do have many so poorly trained and who exercise such poor judgment. I simply do not believe that any LEO will just drive up, and see someone holding a gun and shoot when no gun is pointing at him.

I bet that no rules of engagement tell/permit one to do that. If you know a department that tells the officer it is OK to do it let me know.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Thats not what I said, nor was it my point. My point was that doing things properly will save everybody involved a lot of grief, and a badge, ID card or mylar ballon isnt going to matter a hill of beans in the heat of the moment.

Things get dicey during a shooting, and a lot of things that "should be" get thrown out of the window. There are no hard "rules of engagment"during an active shoot. The only one is to go home.
    Please show me the rules that LEO's or another good intentioned CCW holder must ask for ID or have a conversation before shooting to stop a threat, real or not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    If a CCW holder uses his weapon and is now standing by a downed BG who may not be totally disabled and placing his gun in holster or on the ground may not be smart if bad guy is still able to continue his actions, (he is veing held at bay by the weapon).

What would be the best way to let the law know the situation?? ??
    I'm still going to follow commands the LEO's give me.

If I have the opportunity to do so, I'll simply state, "Officer, this man tried to rob me (or threatened to kill me) I shot him, but he is still armed!"

I may be able to say that before the responding officer challenges me, or I may be able to say that as I am putting my gun down, or I may be able to say that after I'm in handcuffs.

Bottom line is not to get shot by responding LEO's. The best way to do that is to not be holding my gun when they arrive. If I am holding my gun when they arrive, the second best way not to get shot is to do exactly as they tell me to do!

I seriously do not understand why this continues to be such a big dilemma with a lot of people. They assume the cops are going to automatically shoot you when they arrive on scene. People get shot by the cops because they don't follow their commands when challenged by the responding officers.

To me it's a no brainer!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by 173ABN View Post
    Mr. An would be alive today if he had not shot up the neighborhood chasing the BG's and stayed in his store.
    I was thinking the same thing. Avoidance is always the first option. When he was threatened, he did not have the opportunity to draw his firearm. After the robbers left the store, the threat was gone. No use chasing them and shooting at them outside the store. I realize that Mr. An lost all that money, but that was his fault for leaving it in the till. One of the first rules of owning a store is to never keep that much cash in the register. Only leave enough to make change. My family had a grocery store for over 30 years, so I know from experience. Two of my family members were held up at gunpoint, but they got very little because there was very little in the register. I was a kid when these incidents happened and I know that they didn't believe in firearms. This is the reason why I carry now.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

These things are probably invented by the BGs so they can tell whose carrying. What better way to pick an easy target?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    These things are probably invented by the BGs so they can tell whose carrying. What better way to pick an easy target?
    What? Folding identification holders, that essentially look like a business card case? How many people can you tell are carrying by these cases/holders? The OP WAS NOT talking about a BADGE, but rather a folding business card type case that contained a valid CCW permit/license that could, if a shooting took place, immediately unfold for all to see - general public, other ccw\permit holders, LEOs, etc. I actually like the idea. If it adds a small precentage or margin of keeping me alive, then I am for it. I doubt it would be wise to holster your gun when a shooting takes place until LEOs are present. Again, this is not a BADGE. I know a lot of you, for whatever reason, see this as a LEO badge. Just look closely at the OP pic.

I seriously do not understand why this continues to be such a big dilemma with a lot of people. They assume the cops are going to automatically shoot you when they arrive on scene. People get shot by the cops because they don't follow their commands when challenged by the responding officers.

To me it's a no brainer!
    Evidently is does take a brain and it appears that some don't have one or at least don't use the one they have. If a LEO is holding a gun on you and says for you to put your down, don't argue with him. You may be right but also dead right.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Evidently is does take a brain and it appears that some don't have one or at least don't use the one they have. If a LEO is holding a gun on you and says for you to put your down, don't argue with him. You may be right but also dead right.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    What? Folding identification holders, that essentially look like a business card case? How many people can you tell are carrying by these cases/holders?
    Let me be more clear, when worn on the belt folded or open would be a give away. I have never seen anyone carrying business cards on a belt.
    We can go back and forth all day but IMO they are of no use as long as you already have a valid permit on your person. The only difference is the reflective stripes.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I would consider wearing a badge if they were numbered controlled and mandadiated Federally.
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Sure, but you would surely assess the situation. I agree that one should not be holding a gun when the LEO arrives, but if one were holding a BG who had just slit his GF throat and you shot I think you would be unjustified since there was no threat to anyone except the BG. Sure you would not know who was who, but if there were no shooting, it would be a mistake to just drive up see a man holding a gun and shoot him without any command to drop the gun.

It is up to you what you would do, but having been on a Chiefs Advisory Committee I know how I think about such things, and how some chiefs think. You are paid to take more risk, and you have a greater responsibility to use good judgment. If you drove up, saw someone holding a gun not pointed at you, and just shot him you would be negligent in my view.In all cases it is a judgment call, and one has the right to expect an LEO to use good judgment, even if not perfect.

I will leave it at that as we probably will not come to a complete agreement. I think we can agree that any method, such as a badge, that would try to tell a cop that the CHL holder is a good guy and it is OK for him to hold his gun is a really bad idea, and would cause more trouble than he was prepared for.

Regards,
    Jerry
    I think we agree more than we disagree. I just meant that I can't say for sure on a forum what I would do in every situation because its speculation. I did miss in your post where the GG was following all orders from the LEO. In that case, I wouldn't shoot. However, from the bold sentence above, I don't agree that every LEO who did that would be negligent. To me, there's not enough info there to determine that. Too many variables could be present that aren't described. Too many what-ifs. I definitely agree that anything that could cause the GG to hesitate complying with LEO instructions in a SD situation could turn out very bad for all involved.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

If I could get one of those folding card thingys do you think it'd go well with my Roy Rogers secret decoder ring?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    If I could get one of those folding card thingys do you think it'd go well with my Roy Rogers secret decoder ring?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links