CHL Badges

This is a discussion on CHL Badges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rb8941 ..... Concealed means concealed. I guess OC would look like a LEO or a wannabe?...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: CHL Badges

Quote Originally Posted by rb8941 View Post
    ..... Concealed means concealed.
    I guess OC would look like a LEO or a wannabe?

2. Remove Ads

JRI
    Mr. An, because of the extreme noise in his store from the gun fire, probably could not hear very well. He turned towards the police officers with his gun in his hand.

NEVER! EVER! Turn toward a police officer with a gun in your hand.

no more to say...

No need, no thanks
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Nope, no thanks. Just as bad as the badge, can be copied, hard to see at more than a few feet, can't see LEOs finding it useful either.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

This is not needed IMO.
    my wallet works just fine for me.

If you must have one of these send me your pic I will make you one with your states emblem and all you relevant contact info including permit number for less money than this thing

Or how about a dark blue windbreaker or poncho that folds up into its own little pouch
    LEGALLY ARMED CITIZEN
    written in 2 inch reflective letters. When ever you are involved in a self defense shooting just throw it on

Seriously, I don't need a stinkin badge. What so hard to understand the good guy is the one with the gun standing over the bad guys body. Who immediately sets the gun down and does exactly what LEO tell them to do when they arrive.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I know this thread is a couple months old, but I did not want to start another.

There are a lot of animosity against CCW Badges and what not, and I am not very fond of it as well.

Many see this as a problem with LEO's but there are plenty of scenario where it can prevent you from being shot by another armed civilian.

Take this for example, you are the first responder to a robbery at the mall or something. You fire upon the BG, what is to stop someone else from shooting you when all they heard was a gunshot an came to investigate? Or the other way around, you walk into an establishment right as the GG just shot the BG, if you are untrained, you'll most likely draw upon the GG and in return he'll think you are the BG's accomplice and shoot at you as well. This could happen in any scenario where LE are not first on scene.

When you have to use your firearm in public, its not just the LEO's you have to worry about. What is worst than getting shot at by a LEO for saving someone's life? Getting shot by another CCW holder, thinking your the BG.

I'm failing to see where the badge comes into play in the above scenario...are you going to be waving it around in your off hand or are you hoping that they're observant enough to notice it stuck to your belt?

Worst case, you get shot by LE or a CCW'er after you've taken down the BG...at least you went down doing the right thing. If you're gonna jump in the game, you have to understand the risks.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by civic2nr86 View Post
    I know this thread is a couple months old, but I did not want to start another.

There are a lot of animosity against CCW Badges and what not, and I am not very fond of it as well.

Many see this as a problem with LEO's but there are plenty of scenario where it can prevent you from being shot by another armed civilian.

Take this for example, you are the first responder to a robbery at the mall or something. You fire upon the BG, what is to stop someone else from shooting you when all they heard was a gunshot an came to investigate? Or the other way around, you walk into an establishment right as the GG just shot the BG, if you are untrained, you'll most likely draw upon the GG and in return he'll think you are the BG's accomplice and shoot at you as well. This could happen in any scenario where LE are not first on scene.

When you have to use your firearm in public, its not just the LEO's you have to worry about. What is worst than getting shot at by a LEO for saving someone's life? Getting shot by another CCW holder, thinking your the BG.
    As a CHP holder I am not a first responder. If I hear gunshots my responsibility is to find cover and protect myself, my family and call 911, not to investigate and see what is going on. Going to check out what is happening is a good way to get yourself shot.
    If I walk into someplace as a shooting takes place, I duck right back out and call 911. I'm not a coward or insensitive but I'm just not a hero either.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

IMHO, we as legally armed citizens have a responsibility that comes with the carrying of a gun. We are not the law! You can bet your sweet *** that if I hear gun fire while at the mall, I will head in the opposite direction! I have no urge to go see what has happened, it has happened! It's over, and I can't change it. I will not go in search of the BG, or a shoot out! If it comes to me, that's different! If, as in your second scenario, I should walk in accidentally on a robbery in progress, I would have to assess the situation. I am now a witness to a shooting. What are my responsibilities? Again, I am not the law. I have no authority to arrest, or detain anyone, and as a private citizen I can be charged with assault, or false imprisonment if I try. Not to mention that I might get shot! If the GG has just shot the BG, things will resolve themselves in short order. I will know that the GG is the GG. If it turns out that the BG has shot the GG, I might get shot because I'm a witness. If he's standing there with a gun in his hand, not trying to flee after just commiting murder in front of a witness, then he is a nut. Anyway, if he's the BG, and a nut, he already has a gun in his hand, and he's looking at me. How much of a chance do you think I would have if I tried to draw on him while standing in the open?

And no badge for me! No one will know I'm carrying untill I draw my weapon. I will never draw my weapon unless a life is threatened! When I do draw it, I will shoot till the threat goes away!
    Last edited by JD; October 27th, 2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

. . . Many see this as a problem with LEO's but there are plenty of scenario where it [Concealed Carry Badge] can prevent you from being shot by another armed civilian. . . . When you have to use your firearm in public, its not just the LEO's you have to worry about. What is worst than getting shot at by a LEO for saving someone's life? Getting shot by another CCW holder, thinking your the BG.
    If you want a badge which in effect says "I have a weapon," then why not just move to open carry carry state. Otherwise, if you want a badge, then become a LEO or joint the military where there will be no question about the probability of your carrying, and that way you will not get accidentally shot.

jfl

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post

IMHO, we as legally armed citizens have a responsibility that comes with the carrying of a gun. We are not the law! You can bet your sweet *** that if I hear gun fire while at the mall, I will head in the opposite direction! I have no urge to go see what has happened, it has happened! It's over, and I can't change it. I will not go in search of the BG, or a shoot out! If it comes to me, that's different! If, as in your second scenario, I should walk in accidentally on a robbery in progress, I would have to assess the situation. I am now a witness to a shooting. What are my responsibilities? Again, I am not the law. I have no authority to arrest, or detain anyone, and as a private citizen I can be charged with assault, or false imprisonment if I try. Not to mention that I might get shot! If the GG has just shot the BG, things will resolve themselves in short order. I will know that the GG is the GG. If it turns out that the BG has shot the GG, I might get shot because I'm a witness. If he's standing there with a gun in his hand, not trying to flee after just commiting murder in front of a witness, then he is a nut. Anyway, if he's the BG, and a nut, he already has a gun in his hand, and he's looking at me. How much of a chance do you think I would have if I tried to draw on him while standing in the open?

And no badge for me! No one will know I'm carrying untill I draw my weapon. I will never draw my weapon unless a life is threatened! When I do draw it, I will shoot till the threat goes away!
    Excellent post, my thoughts exactly !!!
    Last edited by JD; October 27th, 2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I'll pass.

I don't think the badge is a good idea and I don't think this thing is a good idea either.

Being a permit holder gives you no official standing or authority so it is best not to wear any item that may convey that you do have any type of official authority.

I'm just an ordinary guy, who has had a little training and had a background check run on him. I'm not a cop. I will wear nothing that gives anyone, LEO or private person, any chance to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post

That is a great post and very nearly identical to how I feel.
    Last edited by JD; October 27th, 2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My "alternative" is NOTHING. In Ohio neither a badge, nor a sandwich board nor a tattoo on your forehead legally entitles you to carry a concealed firearm. Only an Ohio CHL or similar document from a state with which Ohio has reciprocity does. That means that any such item is just useless weight... and a useless expense.

Just as soon as carry a "CWP badge" or anything of the sort, you might as well carry an original Captain Midnight "Code-O-Graph":

At least that has SOME value, which can be expected in fact to appreciate.

Links