CHL Badges

This is a discussion on CHL Badges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys, I take all the badges you don’t want. I drill small holes in them, attach a swivel in each hole and attach to ...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: CHL Badges

Hey Guys,

I take all the badges you don’t want.

I drill small holes in them, attach a swivel in each hole and attach to a fishing hook. They make great spinners.

Have occasionally used them under the kick stand of a motorcycle. Works pretty good, but kinda ruins them as spinners.

Chris

2. Remove Ads

We don't need no stinking badges.

no

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Look, I approach this forum like I approach work...

Half asleep and slowly. But seriously. My work requires exact attention to detail, 100% procedural compliance and complete confidence that you are doing the exact right thing at the right time. We have a policy where I work...

The ONLY stupid question is the one you DO NOT ask. I feel we should, when queried by our fellow members, answer their questions with the same courtesy and thought that we answered the question 3,6,12 or 18 months ago. Sure it takes time, but if we didn't have the time would we be here in the first place?

Ignoring my rant (sorry guys!)

Probably not a good idea. But if you like it, and it stays as concealed as your gun, who are we to judge?
    Raygo53 and SFCDan like this.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

The big perk/disadvantage to CCW badges is that you might be mistaken for a cop. That could be a good thing in some circumstances (accidental display of a weapon in Wal-Mart or some such place), but I reckon that LEOs could tell you that being a cop doesn't always entail the best of treatment.
    Somebody decides they need a cop, and come up harassing you to get you to help 'em oust a relative or neighbor or some such. Or they decide that shooting a cop is good for their reputation on the street.

Distinguished Member
    My take is that the "badge" is nothing more than law and order wannabes trying to get in the back door and most likely getting shot doing it.

JD
    Administrator
    Well I think this thread has served it's purpose.

Badges are for LEOs and people in some official capacity.

This is getting locked but will remain a sticky so newer members will hopefully see it, read it, and come to the same conclusion.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I got an email from my brother. He is a licensed concealed weapon carrier in North Alabama. He sent me this email asking me to talk to a best friend of mine, who is a LEO, and ask him about the details below.

Read it all. It involves some rather brash talk from his local police department as to what they would do if they show up and someone is armed.

That was his reason to ask me this question.

Here is the email I got from my brother:
    -------------------------------------------
    Do you still talk to your police friend?

I was wondering what he thinks about someone like me carrying a badge. A “Concealed Permit badge that looks like a professional law enforcement badge.

The reason I ask is because I was listening to local talk radio and the topic was conceal carry and self defense. Some cops called in and said that they are told that if they show up at a scene, anyone holding a gun will be shot first and questions asked later.

They said if you are trying to be a good Samaritan in a store, or even if you catch a thief and hold him until the cops arrive, you might still get shot if you have a gun in your hand.

There is this place online that sells these legal badges:

435 Concealed Weapon Permit Badge Set

By the way, my answer to him was that the CCW Badge was stupid and did nothing but make him look like a Mall Ninja.

I told him that the best thing to do if he is involved in such a situation is to put his gun back in the holster and dont have it out when the police arrive. Be calm, tell them you are still armed and where the gun is. Let the police take it from there.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I believe that everything has a place and a use....The place for a ccw badge is in the trash. I see why people would think they are a good idea, however they can be taken very very wrong. I agree with you that you are best to be holstered and listen to the commands of the officer. If you do not appear to be a threat and stay calm, it will have a dramatic effect on the whole situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    The reason I ask is because I was listening to local talk radio and the topic was conceal carry and self defense. Some cops called in and said that they are told that if they show up at a scene, anyone holding a gun will be shot first and questions asked later.

They said if you are trying to be a good Samaritan in a store, or even if you catch a thief and hold him until the cops arrive, you might still get shot if you have a gun in your hand.
    I believe them when they say that, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'm also convinced that if I flash a badge, they'll probably charge me with impersonating a policeman after they shoot me.

So, be careful with guns and cops, and don't pull out any badges. That's my plan of action.

Some cops called in and said that they are told that if they show up at a scene, anyone holding a gun will be shot first and questions asked later.
    That may be... there are some bad Cops out there. I think most Officers that respond would prefer to follow procedure and figure out what's going on before killing everyone they see with a gun, including the good guys such as armed citizens, off-duty cops, etc.
    wishyouwell likes this.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I agree with what was previously said. If you catch a perp in your home & you have him lay down, facing away from you, face down, you keep the gun trained on him until the local police take over. Sure, when they arrive, they may ask you to lower your weapon & that's fine. But I don't think you put it away until you can "pass the perp" to someone else.

The LEOs that say they "shoot first & ask questions later" sound like they are not thinking clearly. That's a foolish way to approach a situation.

Tell him to get the idea of playing LEO out of his head... His CCW is for life and death situations. He shouldn't consider "holding" a thief until LEOs arrive.

There is no reason for him to have his CCW drawn when LEOs arrive. Either the bg is shot and dead or the bg has fled at the sight of the gun.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    It's also VERY important that if you use your weapon, that 911 is called on your behalf and a detailed description of YOU is given to the operator and insist that it is relayed to the responding officers.

If it all goes as planned, the cops should know who you are when they arrive. This, of course is taking into consideration that they're not just around the corner and show up 2 minutes later. (when does that happen?)

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I don't need no stinkin' badge. My family has already been instructed to sue the life out of any agency or corporation who kills me, or whose employees shoot me if I am legally justifiable in my actions. I am only able to shoot in the gravest of extremes, and so should they be allowed the same approach.

Well now that's pretty stupid. What is the reason for this article other than to dissuade individuals from carrying? I'll call it propaganda.

I agree with what was previously said. If you catch a perp in your home & you have him lay down, facing away from you, face down, you keep the gun trained on him until the local police take over. Sure, when they arrive, they may ask you to lower your weapon & that's fine. But I don't think you put it away until you can "pass the perp" to someone else.

The LEOs that say they "shoot first & ask questions later" sound like they are not thinking clearly. That's a foolish way to approach a situation.
    If I catch a "perp" in my home, there's only one way he'll be "laying down".....I'm not trained in hostage negotiations. Get real. Me? I'm going to survive, and anything I have to do in order to do that, I will. Anytime someone would point a weapon at me means my life is at stake...I don't care who they are. I'm never going to second guess that.

Again...more propaganda to weaken your morale. Don't listen to it, it will weaken your mind and your composure! Retain your ideals no matter what you see or hear, especially on the internet!
    johnmed3 likes this.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links