CHL Badges

This is a discussion on CHL Badges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is no reason for him to have his CCW drawn when LEOs arrive. Either the bg is shot and dead or the bg has ...

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: CHL Badges

There is no reason for him to have his CCW drawn when LEOs arrive. Either the bg is shot and dead or the bg has fled at the sight of the gun.
    I have to disagree with this comment - although I respect your opinion and I believe I understand where you are coming from.

It has been my experience that use of force situations are rarely, if ever, cut and dry/black and white. There will be times that the perp must be detained for your safety or the safety of others, yet deadly force is not appropriate.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

No badges...ever!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As a LEO in a major agency in the midwest, I'm going to say that getting any kind of badge when you aren't a LEO is a bad idea. First of all, you have no legal LE authority, but it could be construed that you are attempting to wield such. Secondly, that is treading dangerously on the border of an impersonation charge. As to the shoot anyone with a gun line of thought...if the officers did indeed say that, they are just blowing smoke, no cop is just going to shoot someone. However, I do advise that after you are involved in a deadly force incident, you not be waving a gun in your hand when the police arrive...
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Well the officer that stated he would basically kill anybody holding a gun when he shows up at a scene needs to be fired he just basically admitted to intending to commit a murder even if he was not threatened by the weapon holder.If he was involved in a shooting where he kills an innocent man in the future that statement will hang him in a civil trial
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Reading that line about the Police Officer saying he will kill anyone holding a gun, makes me think, I am on a thread from a Third World Country or something. I don't think any LEO is going to just pull up to a scean and just start shooting. At least not if he wants to return to work on day 2.
    And the thing about the badges is just a bad idea.
    Just my .02 worth, for what it is worth.

Emmett
    Psalm 121
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    Ruger P95
    3/504 PIR, 82nd Airborne (ETS - 1987)

Badges Never!!! Bad Idea. If you are a cop carry a badge. Anybody else is asking for trouble. I am not going to pretend to be a cop.
    I will only draw my gun If it is the absolute last resort and I anticipate firing it. If I have to draw my weapon, fire it and the BG is still alive , I would disarm him( if at all possible) and re-holster while waiting for LE. I realize that use of force situations are dynamic and unique. If I felt there were more threats, and I had my weapon still drawn when LE showed up , I would drop my gun as soon as I saw the LE put my hands in the air and wait for instructions.
    I would instruct whomever is calling 911 to give a detailed description of me (the good guy) and the bleeding guy on the floor (the bad guy).

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    However, I do advise that after you are involved in a deadly force incident, you not be waving a gun in your hand when the police arrive...

The responding LEO to a deadly force incident will never see your badge in your hand, if you have a gun in the other hand. Scene control to LEO is paramount and if you have the gun in hand you are an unknown, whether you have a LEO badge or a CCW badge. Train to reassess, go to cover and put the gun away.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I would not be all that crazy about giving a description of ME to the dispatcher.

You know how that will likely come over the radio?

Crazy man with gun... shooting...man shot....
    bleeding on floor... description of YOU....

The clearest explanations get fouled up by the time it comes to the officers responding.

You want cops coming Yes...
    you want to not have gun in your hand when they come on scene.

If he jumps up and attacks them, they'll figure out what to do.
    If he jumps up and runs away, they'll catch him.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    If badges were a good idea, states would start issuing them along with the paper licenses.

I don't understand why there should be a badge???

If you really are worried about having to ID yourself fast (not time for permit), isn't it better to have something like a plastic card in a certain color that is easy to see at a distance?

To me badges sounds like LEO wannabes. If there truly is a need for something to quickly ID yourself, go with a bright color card of some kind. Sure anyone can make a similar card, put anyone can flash any kind of badge too.

If you went with a card instead, there wouldn't be a LEO wannabe impression. Or maybe they should make the permit in a certain, easy to recognize color.

That is of course, if there really is a need of a quick ID tool.
    Last edited by Sig sauer; July 27th, 2008 at 05:34 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Well the officer that stated he would basically kill anybody holding a gun when he shows up at a scene needs to be fired he just basically admitted to intending to commit a murder even if he was not threatened by the weapon holder.If he was involved in a shooting where he kills an innocent man in the future that statement will hang him in a civil trial
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    Reading that line about the Police Officer saying he will kill anyone holding a gun, makes me think, I am on a thread from a Third World Country or something. I don't think any LEO is going to just pull up to a scean and just start shooting. At least not if he wants to return to work on day 2.
    And the thing about the badges is just a bad idea.
    Just my .02 worth, for what it is worth.

Emmett

I am glad someone finally saw what I was actually intending so how in my post!!

My brother is 44 years old. He isnt a Mall Ninja wannabee. He is a sensible person that is simply uninformed about a CCW Badge. What I find appalling is the a professional Police department would have officers that say things like this in public radio.

My brother never had any intentions of impersonating an officer or being a Mall Ninja. He simply heard what the officers said and it scared him to the point where he is now fearful of using his weapon in self defense.

So, if anyone here is LEO in North Alabama, you might check out Huntville Police Department or Madison County Sheriff officers and see why any of these cops would do such a stupid thing to the public.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    My brother never had any intentions of impersonating an officer or being a Mall Ninja. He simply heard what the officers said and it scared him to the point where he is now fearful of using his weapon in self defense.
    Unfortunately, his intentions won't matter. You can't count on police to be your friend in any given situation. Act accordingly. Personally, I'm still much more concerned with criminals harming me than police. However, I say police aren't your buddies unless they're really your buddies.
    Billb1960 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    If badges were a good idea, states would start issuing them along with the paper licenses.
    My state already issues the plastic CHL. Assuming that our intent is not to boast our concealed status, why would we need a badge?

This thread has lost me. ???

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I have to disagree with this comment - although I respect your opinion and I believe I understand where you are coming from.

It has been my experience that use of force situations are rarely, if ever, cut and dry/black and white. There will be times that the perp must be detained for your safety or the safety of others, yet deadly force is not appropriate.
    There are small possibilities of detainment in a self defense situation... You draw down and the BG throws himself on the floor, etc... But in my house, I am not trying to take prisoners... It is either life or death and a good shoot, or the BG flees. I want this criminal out of my house for my family's safety. I do not want to be holding him at gunpoint while his buddy gets the drop on me or someone else in my home.

You will not hear me yelling "STOP"... More like "Get the hell out of here!".

Of course, this is just my opinion... From my personal experience. (Home invasion with 4 armed BGs)

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    All a badge says to me and all of my LEO friends is Police Poser. You will get your self in real trouble if you try to use it in a way that intimates you are are a LEO.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links