CHL Badges

This is a discussion on CHL Badges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He says with a chuckle... "There's a market out there for everything!" But not for me! I'll pass!...

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: CHL Badges

He says with a chuckle... "There's a market out there for everything!" But not for me! I'll pass!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 173ABN View Post
    Mr. An would be alive today if he had not shot up the neighborhood chasing the BG's and stayed in his store.
    So very true. A CHP does not give him or anyone else the right to pursue the BG's. Shooting at a fleeing car, sounds like he watched too many TV cop shows. Might work in Starsky and Hutch, but not RL.
    As for the pouch....just someone else trying to make a fast buck, hoping to cash in on someones fears. I'm sure a LEO is going to be looking to see if the person is wearing the pouch instead of watching the persons hands! Good way for the LEO to wind up dead.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

No CCW badge or badge substitute can overcome poor judgement.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

i doubt i would buy one and i know i wouldn't use it.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Mr. An left the safety of his store, ran outside, and began to fire at the fleeing armed robbers.
    Big mistake. Page 43, paragraph 3, section b of the Mall Ninja Tactical Standards Manual clearly states that operatives should only leave cover IF they have a sufficiently armored electric response cart with appropriate flashing yellow beacon.

He turned towards the police officers with his gun in his hand.
    A badge would NOT have made a damn bit of difference here. An angry man with a gun is shooting up the parking lot, the officer tells him to drop it 8 times, no compliance and then he turns it on THEM. Enough is enough. Time for said angry man to be STOPPED. I may be wrong (as I frequently am and perhaps a LEO can chime in here) but I believe even if this guy was LE and had been in civies, BUT wearing a bright shiny police badge on his belt, when he refused to comply and turned toward the two officers, they would have had to respond the SAME WAY.

IF I was a LEO (and I am not, nor do I play one on TV), NOT in uniform and ONLY had a "badge" I would expect to have to comply with the responding officer's commands until such time as he could VERIFY that I was indeed NOT a BG. Hell, anyone can buy or make a believable badge or ID. Illegal aliens do it all the time.

Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

You could put your library card in that thing and no one could tell the difference unless they walked up to you and squatted down to look at it.

Also, is the company restricting its sale to carry permit holders only? If not, then LEOs are not going to put any trust in it.

JD
    Administrator
    I'll take the CCW beanie for the win!

JOKE
    Last edited by JD; August 25th, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.

This suggests that only GG's would be carrying the ID's. What happens if BG's also carry one. How would you keep BG's from getting one? If you run into a situation where you are holding a gun on someone and the police show up it is time to quit being a hero and if they say get on the ground you start digging a hole and ask if that is deep enough.

Of course the advertisers will put this out as a great idea, complete with statistics showing such. It's still my opinion that CCW badges and stickers are a bad idea.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

I've never asked the local PD what they would do.

I know a Detroit PD LE at the gun range I go to. I was told by a Detroit PD LE (+15 years on the force) that on many occasions, he has arrived at a shooting, while off-duty (and he arrives gun drawn and aimed). I live in the burbs of Detroit. Detroit PD does not patrol my neighborhood. I do travel to Detroit from time to time.

When he arrives, and there is someone with a drawn gun, and no LE badge in plain view, the person gets one chance to drop their weapon if he commands. After that, he is never sure what will happen but doubts there will be a second warning. He said a CCW badge would be worthless. He worries enough about fake badges.

This worries me a bit, as I don't know, if after a SD shooting, if I would have the clarity of mind. If a non-uniformed officer ran up to me with gun drawn, would I even see a badge (or be in the state of mind to trust it)? That with a real LE.

I don't think I would trust a person with a CCW piece of paper / badge. Too many civilians want to act like cops. Could be bad. I don't think LE in my state would respect a CCW badge (or whatever it would be called).

I have no real strong opinion either side of the possibility of a CCW badge, but I'm not sure they would be worth it, esp in my part of the world.

Not something I would buy, wear, or recommend to anyone.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would not use it , but honestly i find it to be an order of magnitude better than a ccw badge . If it is as it appears it would not be obvious when sealed , and would draw the eye when flopped open . The problem i see is that most folks LE included would have no idea just what the goofy thing was so it would do nothing to id a possible good guy .
    CCW badges are not mandated , and in fact discouraged because a badge is a symbol/sign of a "state " employee who is mandated to be a professional witness and respond to all variety of situations where the state or public may need a witness . Further said state witness ( cop ) has a legal as moral duty to respond to some incidents such as violent crime which the ccw holder does not have ( well the legal one anyway each of us decide on the moral obligation ) . Badges therefor are to be discouraged, tho in most states they may be legal , for those of us who are not mandated by the state to respond .
    If you like this little gizmo by all means get it and wear it , However dont expect anyone to realize what it is if and when you flip it open , heck dont expect to remember to flip it open if things go south . Safe gunhandleing , and an absolute obedience to any responding officers will keep you safer than anything you can put on your belt .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

No thank you.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'll take the CCW beanie for the win!
    There have been times that brandishing a weapon has included telling someone you are armed.

Small chance this, or the CCW t-shirt / cap (in yellow on blue) that I have seen, could be considered brandishing. In MI it is legal to open carry. But very good chance (esp SE MI) if someonce calls 911, you get halled in for disturbing the peace.

Lot of anti-gun crows out there. Some are aggressive, and would even lie, and say you flashed your gun (has happen). I never tell or advertise I carry (only immediate family and a very few number of friends).

But I believe in freedom of speech. More power to anyone who wears this stuff.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I carry enough crap as it is, I don't need a chunk of metal that lets everyone know I am a CCW holder.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links