On this Memorial Day....

On this Memorial Day....

This is a discussion on On this Memorial Day.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please take a moment to remember those who have paid the ultimate price to protect our freedoms. This is the first year that I will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On this Memorial Day....

On this Memorial Day....

Please take a moment to remember those who have paid the ultimate price to protect our freedoms. This is the first year that I will be remembering a friend who sacrificed his life for my freedoms. It was only a couple of years ago, we were burning steaks, and serving undercooked chicken at the barbecue on Memorial day.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Amen to that brother...

Semper Fi
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Assistant Administrator
    Amen from me too - that's for sure.

We do have two similar threads running too right now -

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=22228

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=25919

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Absolutely. Its more than just a day off....

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to all in uniform and especially to those who have paid the highest price...may we all stop and think often of those who are in harm's way...

Stay armed with prayer...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    Amen!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

"The last measure of devotion, they gave themselves to serve the greater need."

Memorial Day should always reflect the ultimate sacrifice paid by so many to keep freedom alive. In a time of war, Memorial Day is filled with much more emotion. Many try to express it, many can't.

Taking time on Memorial Day, if not every day, to remember those who have given themselves to serve the greater need, is the respectful way to honor their memories and their sacrifice.

A lot of folks confuse the meanings of Vererans Day and Memorial Day. Veterans Day is a day to honor all those who have served our country in one of the branches of our military and earned the title of Veteran. Memorial Day is to honor those who have paid the ultimate price to insure that the lamp of freedom continues to burn bright.

Neither day should be made a mockery of with sales and profit making, but all who have served have done so to insure that those who want to engage in those kind of activities have the right..... and the freedom to do so. It's like the conversation I had with my First Sergeant in Vietnam about all the protestors back home... he said "We're here to protect their right to protest us being here." He was right, and I respected his wisdom. He was killed a month later.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/vide...=136666&page=2

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Today I stopped at Kroger to pick up some holiday weekend staples (beer, beef patties, etc.). The cashier was an older gentleman with a high and tight crew cut named Joe.

He greeted me in the perfunctory manner that supermarket cashiers are wont to do. I was in a good mood and made some small talk. All of a sudden his haircut and demeanor made me ask: "Hey Joe, are you a veteran?". He looked me in the eyes and said, "yes I am. Missed Korea by a year". I smiled at him and said: "I am too, brother" while extending my hand to him. I said thank you for your service and enjoy your weekend.

He was grinning from ear to ear.

Monday I'll be joining up with my brothers from the American Legion Riders and Patriot Guard for a parade ending at the ceremonies at the cemetery.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    "The last measure of devotion, they gave themselves to serve the greater need."

Memorial Day should always reflect the ultimate sacrifice paid by so many to keep freedom alive. In a time of war, Memorial Day is filled with much more emotion. Many try to express it, many can't.

Taking time on Memorial Day, if not every day, to remember those who have given themselves to serve the greater need, is the respectful way to honor their memories and their sacrifice.

A lot of folks confuse the meanings of Vererans Day and Memorial Day. Veterans Day is a day to honor all those who have served our country in one of the branches of our military and earned the title of Veteran. Memorial Day is to honor those who have paid the ultimate price to insure that the lamp of freedom continues to burn bright.

Neither day should be made a mockery of with sales and profit making, but all who have served have done so to insure that those who want to engage in those kind of activities have the right..... and the freedom to do so. It's like the conversation I had with my First Sergeant in Vietnam about all the protestors back home... he said "We're here to protect their right to protest us being here." He was right, and I respected his wisdom. He was killed a month later.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/vide...=136666&page=2
    +1. I've never seen it stated as well as that.

To those from the Revolution on who gave all, and those who were willing........

GOD BLESS YOU AND WELCOME HOME!!!!

Jay P.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Amen!

Amen and amen!

Love that photo.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Ditto: That this is much more than just time off.
    It is a time to think and to remember and to say Thank You from way down deep inside.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I had the privilege today of assisting a large number of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts placing flags at the National Cemetery of Stones River National Battlefield in Tennessee. Members of the local Harley-Davidson club, local law enforcement, and Park Service employees were there as well.

God Bless America, and those who gave their lives for our nation and our liberty.

I have to work Memorial Day.
    I will not be able to watch the parade or attend any of the services scheduled for the day.
    Nothing will stop me from stopping at the Memorial Park on my way home and standing for a long, silent moment before the flags, and the broken column, and slowly raising my hand in salute.
    They died for me.
    I will not forget them!
    Last edited by Sky Pilot; May 26th, 2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links