Denver Zoo Carry??

Denver Zoo Carry??

This is a discussion on Denver Zoo Carry?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’m taking a family trip to the Denver Zoo. To carry or not to carry that is the question… Anyone in the area that can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denver Zoo Carry??

Question Denver Zoo Carry??

I’m taking a family trip to the Denver Zoo.

To carry or not to carry that is the question…

Anyone in the area that can answer??

Help me out.

Thanks!!

Can't give you a definite answer, as I'm still trying to find out for sure myself (we're members..so my wife and kids like to drag me there quite a bit during the summer).

I /think/ that the Zoo is owned by the City of Denver..but I'm not sure. I know they receive funds from the SCFD, and from Denver itself. The Denver Zoological Society actually runs the zoo.

Their website is completely unhelpful in determining private ownership vs City ownership. It also doesn't mention firearms anywhere on the website. And honestly, its been long enough since the last time we went (I think it was for Boo at the Zoo), that I don't remember if its posted or not.

I think it may need a phone call down there to find out what their policy is.

I've recently carried at the Denver Zoo. There was a stink a few years ago about the Zoo being posted no-carry, but turned out that they couldn't legally do that with the preemption statute. So FWIW I think you won't have any problems -- with concealed carry. Don't try open carry in Denver!

The stink

Quote Originally Posted by uenoparker View Post
    I've recently carried at the Denver Zoo. There was a stink a few years ago about the Zoo being posted no-carry, but turned out that they couldn't legally do that with the preemption statute. So FWIW I think you won't have any problems -- with concealed carry. Don't try open carry in Denver!
    I was the one who made the stink and got them to change the policy after they confimed things with the city attorney. The bottom of the "No Guns" signs say, "Policy available upon request." The policy specificly authorizes CCW. They will fax it to you, if you ask.

They do seem to think that the zoo is exempt from reciprocal state permits for residents of those states. However zoo policy does not equate with law. If you're legal to pack anywhere else in Colorado, you're legal to pack at the zoo.

Oddly enough, they are within their rights to prohibit off-duty LEO carry, but not CCW. Officially, they only allow off-duty LEO cary when the officer is required to by department policy. I doubt they'd ever make an issue of it. though.

I go there all the time. I always CCW. I carry a 4" Kimber with 230gr. Speer Gold Dots. I keep 230gr. FMJ Flat Nose Double Tap (1,010fps from a 5" barrel) in my spare mag should there be an animal issue.

I am not a lawyer. Even if I was, I'm not yours.
    Last edited by MountainPacker; May 26th, 2007 at 10:06 PM.

Great!

Thanks for the information.

Glad to here the Zoo has a sane policy. I've been there many, many times. It's a really nice zoo.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The policy

Here's a copy of the Denver Zoo's weapons policy.

This was faxed to me on June 9, 2005, after my exchange with Ana Bowie, Vice President for Marketing & Public Relations, when they changed the policy to allow CCW as required by state law.

Excellent!

Thanks again!!!

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I am surprised that the Denver Zoo weapons policy allows both visitors and employees with permits to conceal.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    It's funny how the zoo thinks they can refuse to honor CHLs from states with which Colorado has reciprocity.

Colorado would be an awesome state without Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, and Aspen.

I was just there about a month ago and there are no signs. Thanks MountainPacker for getting that cleared up with them!!!
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I went to the Denver Zoo with my son a field trip back in May. I carried my Kelty bag loaded with my Glock 19, and three backup mags. We had a fun time, and no Hadji's to shoot. My gun was completely concealed, and we fit in. Since becoming a Father/Family man my outlook on my families protection has become less reserved. I would rather be judged than have to live with myself, or let my family live without me because of some BG deciding who live's and who dies. I had an old boos that would say quite regularly "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six". This holds true when it comes to my family. Remember concelaed is concealed!! What the sheeple of Colorado don't won't hurt them.
    I'll be your Huckleberry!! I have two guns! One for each of you!

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

I was there about a month ago and there were most definitely signs at the ticket window. My G27 went along for the ride nonetheless. I don't have a CO permit, but I do have a Utah non-res permit which CO honors. Would I have had a problem with the zoo? Unless there was a shooting, no...because concealed means concealed.

Thanks for posting the policy fax. Detained?!?! Zoo security has powers of arrest? Doubt it! I'm guessing if they tried to detain somebody they could be hit with a major false arrest lawsuit.

Have not been to the Denver zoo in over 30 years, yet we have been next door at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science when Body Worlds 2 was there.

Left the CCW at home cuz I was not sure abut Denver's policy on out of state CCW's and we were on a motorcycle so I had no way to secure it if it was not on my person.

From what I gather since I have a WY CCW Denver is required to honor it & we need to make a day trip South to check out the zoo

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedicRogers View Post
    I’m taking a family trip to the Denver Zoo.

To carry or not to carry that is the question…

Anyone in the area that can answer??
    There's a Denver Zoo internal memo floating around, I think it was posted by the RMGO but I don't have time to search now, which essentially states that the Zoo can't legally prohibit licensed carry but that their public policy will continue to be that carry is prohibited and the premises will continue to be posted.

I'd carry and keep it hidden.

EDIT: I see the issue was covered above. That's what I get for not reading the whole thread.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links